• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CT didn’t want to leave

+1000 on this … there are posters on this very forum who have suggested such things. Rhule was very adamant about wanting both CT and LS back and told them both that if they chose to come back to NU, after entering the portal, that there would be a scholarship for them.
To me the biggest part is, when you have a QB room that looked like ours did at the time, there's no way you tell an experienced QB with plenty of playing time you don't need him. He exactly what you need either as a starter or a backup, that is if he or his dad are willing to take the chance he may be the backup instead of the starter.

It is an it isn't.

I really enjoyed watching Haarberg Saturday night, but there are a lot of the same limitations in his game we had with Smothers. He's a much more physical runner, but looks like his passing game is equal or maybe a little less effective than Smothers. He definitely was effective in some of the things he did and absolutely gives us options moving forward....which we're going to need in a big way with the depleted RB room.
I believe HH is being under valued by a lot of people regarding his QB skills. Only time will tell how that works out. I thought HH threw the ball well and especially it being his first start and the entire game riding on his shoulders. I haven’t been impressed at all with Sims passing except to say he has a very strong arm... so what if you throw INT’s or can’t hit your target. Rhule says he wants to play very physical football and that’s exactly what he gets with HH. CT could never take the beating that HH can dish out which is critical in the BIG. I will not be surprised to see HH become our starting QB for the next couple of years going forward. HH reminds me in certain ways of Tim Tebow who wasn’t a bad college QB imo.

Last edited:

It is an it isn't.

I really enjoyed watching Haarberg Saturday night, but there are a lot of the same limitations in his game we had with Smothers. He's a much more physical runner, but looks like his passing game is equal or maybe a little less effective than Smothers. He definitely was effective in some of the things he did and absolutely gives us options moving forward....which we're going to need in a big way with the depleted RB room.
Yeah . . . I'm thinking the starting QB for next year isn't on the roster right now.

It is an it isn't.

I do not know how you can say that.
-Smothers was asked to be a drop back passer when he filled in for CT, not his skill set.
-HH was asked to do things which fit better the skills he has, both running and passing. If smart, I suspect that will be developed more in the coming games.

For example, we saw our first screen pass of the season which is a fantastic call and something that should have been in the 'safe throw" game plan for Sims too!!

Add more targets to TEs and you have the beginnings of an effective passing complement to a running game that fits HH's skills and would have done so nicely to Smothers also.

Smothers transfer is much the greater loss the CT's, he would have fit in nicely to a QB room with Sim's and HH. I don't know how he was allowed to get away, but a large amount of NIL money should have been offered him plus some humble pie about Sims being anointed "QB1" and maybe he would have stayed. I certainly wish something could have been worked out.

-Smothers was asked to be a drop back passer when he filled in for CT, not his skill set.
-HH was asked to do things which fit better the skills he has, both running and passing. If smart, I suspect that will be developed more in the coming games.

For example, we saw our first screen pass of the season which is a fantastic call and something that should have been in the 'safe throw" game plan for Sims too!!

Add more targets to TEs and you have the beginnings of an effective passing complement to a running game that fits HH's skills and would have done so nicely to Smothers also.

Smothers transfer is much the greater loss the CT's, he would have fit in nicely to a QB room with Sim's and HH. I don't know how he was allowed to get away, but a large amount of NIL money should have been offered him plus some humble pie about Sims being anointed "QB1" and maybe he would have stayed. I certainly wish something could have been worked out.

I say that because his down field passing.....well let's just say he put the ball in harms way as many times as Sims did. They just didn't get picked.

I agree on the screen pass, which is not universally easy for QB's to throw. Martinez struggled with it big time. Hell, Elway made it look like splitting the atom. Haarberg's side arm sling around the DE was nice, but it didn't take long for the defense to adjust when we'd have that set and run that play to blow it up. He keeps throwing like that and we'll be seeing pick sixes on screen passes.

I'd like to have had Smothers and CT, though Smothers definitely fits better with what we'e done this year.

100% agree that Smothers would be slotting in nicely for us right now. I was pleased with HH but I do think Smothers would have worked a touch better just based on experience. When he has come on for Jacksonville St... he looks to be a real player.

I say that because his down field passing.....well let's just say he put the ball in harms way as many times as Sims did. They just didn't get picked.

I agree on the screen pass, which is not universally easy for QB's to throw. Martinez struggled with it big time. Hell, Elway made it look like splitting the atom. Haarberg's side arm sling around the DE was nice, but it didn't take long for the defense to adjust when we'd have that set and run that play to blow it up. He keeps throwing like that and we'll be seeing pick sixes on screen passes.

I'd like to have had Smothers and CT, though Smothers definitely fits better with what we'e done this year.
I will say one more thing and then let this go.

All QB's who throw downfield put the ball in harms way (See Dan Marino for instance).

Sim's picks went right to DB;s, or receivers he stared down that is the difference.

Okay Crab, otherwise, I'm good to go with as your usual other wise great analysis.

GBR

I will say one more thing and then let this go.

All QB's who throw downfield put the ball in harms way (See Dan Marino for instance).

Sim's picks went right to DB;s, or receivers he stared down that is the difference.

Okay Crab, otherwise, I'm good to go with as your usual other wise great analysis.

GBR

My analysis is usually very pedestrian, but thanks for the compliment.

I don’t mind these types of conversations; these are the conversations I have with other Husker fans in my life so can’t we have them here?

As far as Thompson staying, I agree with CrabHusker, I would feel a lot better about our options with him here. While neither Martinez nor Thompson were ever going to be Heisman candidates, I think both had the skill set to flourish in the right offense with a decent offensive line. From what I’ve seen of Sims, I don’t think he would flourish in any offense because dudes a butterfingers. Straight up, can’t hold onto the ball and I don’t see that changing.

I think we all like Haarberg, Nebraska kid, tough runner, seems to take care of the ball so far. But he’s going to have bad games. It’s going to happen.

I was surprised once word was out that CT was hitting the transfer portal, but perhaps that was just me being naive. I assumed the job was still his until JS beat him out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back