• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Couple not-so-enthusiastic outside opinions of the 2018 Huskers

Apparently, TOM BREW of Saturday Tradition thinks we're going to lose to Purdue... and Iowa... and 5 other teams.
https://saturdaytradition.com/nebra...tal-ball-predicting-every-game-nebraska-2018/

And at least one sportswriter for Northwestern doesn't "expect much of a fight when the Cornhuskers come to Ryan Field Oct. 13."
https://www.insidenu.com/2018/8/7/1...nalysis-preview-wisconsin-michigan-notre-dame
I am so sick and freaking tired of Northwestern thinking they have any business playing on the same field as Nebraska. Listening to Iowa and Wisconsin fans and writers is bad enough, we need to throat stomp the kittens this year.

Northwestern could be very good this year, and they have the advantage of frequently sneaking up on teams better than they. And that grass field does make a difference. Purdue loses what made it really good last year - a very good defensive line. So time will tell whether they slip or stay where they finished last year.Predictions that each will beat Nebraska are not unrealistic, but cocky predictions are irritating.

But I suspect that fans for each team could say the same thing about their talent -- namely, that their team has more talent than other teams and that all they need is to be coached up. I've always thought talent was less important than how you play the game, but sometimes, there is way too much talent on one team to think it will lose to another. Neither Northwestern nor Purdue are in that category compared with NU.
Northwestern hasn't been "very good" since the Great Depression.

I am tending to disagree with the "writer" who said "but it’s difficult to rely on transfers to step in and become studs right away" when it sounds like our JC transfers (counting the player from Mississippi and grad transfer from UCF here, too) are doing real good considering ALL the players are basically learning new systems at the same time. I understand we are still running a 3-4 D but we all know the current scheme is different from the previous scheme. So, IMO, that throws out his opinion.

New coach/staff, new system, young team, QB with no expierence does not present a positive optic (except for Husker fans).
After all our coach has a lifetime win loss record barely over .500... :Sarcasm: if we still had Riley I could see it. Coaching will make a big difference. Just don't tell the other guys.

I am so sick and freaking tired of Northwestern thinking they have any business playing on the same field as Nebraska. Listening to Iowa and Wisconsin fans and writers is bad enough, we need to throat stomp the kittens this year.

I'm right there with ya buddy. I was in Evanston for the game in 2012, and just watching the warm-ups (and the game) from 5 rows up, we should have destroyed them. Bunch of snooty wannabes. But then we didn't have that "take no prisoners" mentality that I hope soon returns.

I will say that Pat Fitzgerald is a good coach, and he always seems to have them rolling by the end of the season. But apparently he hasn't figured out how to get them motivated early in the year. I was there a couple years ago when my nephew's Illinois State team beat them -- ISU was clearly overmatched, but just wanted it more.

I am tending to disagree with the "writer" who said "but it’s difficult to rely on transfers to step in and become studs right away" when it sounds like our JC transfers (counting the player from Mississippi and grad transfer from UCF here, too) are doing real good considering ALL the players are basically learning new systems at the same time. I understand we are still running a 3-4 D but we all know the current scheme is different from the previous scheme. So, IMO, that throws out his opinion.

Thats the entire point of bringing in JUCO's and transfers, to PRODUCE right away.

I do. Coaching is way underrated by most people.
You could tell that the last 3 years. They had to recruit over and above because they knew they couldn't develop players. Diaco even admitted such later in the saying how as fans we no reason to expect anything different than what we were getting from the defense. That numbskull should have to pay the University back for the salary he absconded with.

Apparently, TOM BREW of Saturday Tradition thinks we're going to lose to Purdue... and Iowa... and 5 other teams.
https://saturdaytradition.com/nebra...tal-ball-predicting-every-game-nebraska-2018/

And at least one sportswriter for Northwestern doesn't "expect much of a fight when the Cornhuskers come to Ryan Field Oct. 13."
https://www.insidenu.com/2018/8/7/1...nalysis-preview-wisconsin-michigan-notre-dame
Those poorly researched articles also illustrate why the computer models have such low expectations for us. They rely on a high-level view of LAST YEAR'S results, without considering all the "intangible" upgrades we have this year.

I'm fine with people underestimating us...

The things SF has done to reconstruct the program are amazing. I believe it will end up the most impressive since Devaney did the same in 1962. I'm convinced that this team will surprise all of the so-called experts and even most in the Husker fan base. I'm expect a lot from this supposed "transition team." We will be very competitive for conference honors.

I'm really interested in seeing the season record contest. I'm even more interested in seeing how many giddy people we'll have around here when their win total expectations are exceeded by the end of October! :thumbsup::Banana:

Right, Russell Wilson says hello.

C

Wow. And where might NU be had it retained the other folks? Just wow man.
Optimism is good. We all hope to win every game. Reality does not support much above .500 It will take time.

Vegas odds are 6.5 wins. Those people make a substancial living with numbers.

I rember Osborne's first years when the fans wanted to run him out of town
He almost left for Colorado .

Did any of these so called experts predict a 2017 UCF season of 13-0? Well of course not because they only went 6-6 regular season in 2016 so how could they go undefeated? Ridicilous ... oh wait they did go undefeated. These same talking heads endlessly spewed how UCF didn't have chance against Auburn. How could they beat a team that beat 2 of the teams in the playoffs? Oops... wrong again!

Bottom line is these morons don't know anymore then we do here on this forum. As a matter of fact people here probably have a better understanding as to how poorly our team was coached last season.

Does anyone think all things being equal the current staff would have went 4-8 last season? I seriously doubt that would have happened. Our coaches last season started phoning it in about mid season. It went from bad to worse and what they did leading the team was shameful IMO. Anyone using last season as their baseline to predict our 2018 season is making a HUGE mistake IMO.

I hope teams on our schedule don't take Nebraska seriously because they do so at their peril...........

Some of the computer models had UCF winning the division with only 1 loss, that being the CCG. Maybe not 13-0 but they called the improvement and a game or three could have gone either way.

Wow. And where might NU be had it retained the other folks? Just wow man.

Who cares? All he was saying is that computer models don’t react well to new coaches and QBs, which is absolutely true. Doesn’t matter who the coaches are. Or were, which you seem to be dwelling on. Our staff is now better, but many of these models don’t account for that.

Optimism is good. We all hope to win every game. Reality does not support much above .500 It will take time.

Vegas odds are 6.5 wins. Those people make a substancial living with numbers.

I rember Osborne's first years when the fans wanted to run him out of town
He almost left for Colorado .
I remember reading Voices from the Grandstand (?) in the 80s and it was 80% wanting him fired. Incredible.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back