• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Consensus 4-star CB Chase Williams is N

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say that all you want, but that may be easier said than done. My point is, we have a HC that recognizes the importance of great recruiting and he has hired some great ones and will likely hire additional great ones going forward. He engenders loyalty and IMO he will keep them to the extent it is possible, but sometimes there is nothing you can do to keep someone on board. But, it is easy to say.
Right, but all the point was is that Nebraska has the means to not lose a money battle with another school, not sure what we are even talking about at this point. I'm quite perplexed how anything I stated would be construed as me wanting Williams as a coordinator or circled back to Riley.

Last edited:

Right, but all the point was is that Nebraska has the means to not lose a money battle with another school, not sure what we are even talking about at this point. I'm quite perplexed how anything I stated would be construed as me wanting Williams as a coordinator or circled back to Riley.
I agree that we should do a lot to keep the best of our recruiters. That said, I have faith that MR thinks this way as well, so I don't see a need to point it out all the time on a message board. You evidently, feel the need to do that and that is fine...I was wrong to comment on this.

I agree that we should do a lot to keep the best of our recruiters. That said, I have faith that MR thinks this way as well, so I don't see a need to point it out all the time on a message board. You evidently, feel the need to do that and that is fine...I was wrong to comment on this.

Should have just said the bolded and walked away.

I know ...right. People said the same about KW when he was already one of the highest paid WR coaches in the NCAA. We have now shown that if you do your job we will pay you. Also pay is one of the last reasons people leave. Most people leave because they do not like their boss.

Not true.

It's easy to do on here. Both y'all mean well, let's leave it at that:nod:

Last edited:
I guess that was my point, Sparty and Wisky aren't elite at all, but found ways to beat Michigan when they were recruiting at an elite level to win conference titles. The frustrating thing is we missed a pretty wide-open window when we joined the B1G... Michigan with Hoke was a disaster, Penn State and Ohio State with sanctions and coach firings, but as you stated we could only get out of our own division once. But we have to look out the windshield and know that if we continue to recruit at the pace the 2018 class is starting out, we can have the athlete advantage on every team in our division.

We have to figure out a way to keep DWilliams... i'm not saying he's going anywhere, but he is recruiting all this talent that it's unbelievable. If he does not have aspirations to be a coordinator, I think we can make it very enticing for him to stay. A place like Nebraska should not hesitate to pay whatever is needed to keep a guy that can convince a kid from anywhere to come to school in Lincoln. Williams x 2 we should never get outbid for. Period.

Agree 100%. In fact, I would encourage Eichorst to be proactive and not reactive with those two coaches. Don't wait for USC to offer Donte Williams a spot on their staff with a pay bump before you counter. Don't wait for LSU to come after Keith Williams in the same way. If it's me, I make sure those two are the highest paid WR and DB coaches in the country every year. If someone gets a raise and overtakes them, give them a raise at the end of the year to at least match the highest salary at their position. It won't effect Nebraska's bottom line at all. They have the money to do it, so do it. Same with Bob Diaco. If he proves to be the DC at Nebraska that he was at Notre Dame and starts putting together some 2012-caliber statistical seasons in Lincoln, give him Brent Venables-type money. Diaco definitely wants another crack at being a HC, but at least give him the kind of $ to where he won't leave for another UConn level gig. Make sure he stays until he gets something he can't pass up.

As for the two Williams'...JMPO, but I dont think either aspires to be a coordinator. They are experts at teaching their specific position group. I think they'd be content making more than basically anyone in the country at their position and doing what they do. That can be a great gig, making 500k or more to bring in a few 4* kids every year and putting a few kids in the league while your at it. Again, JMPO and the vibe I get.

I guess that was my point, Sparty and Wisky aren't elite at all, but found ways to beat Michigan when they were recruiting at an elite level to win conference titles. The frustrating thing is we missed a pretty wide-open window when we joined the B1G... Michigan with Hoke was a disaster, Penn State and Ohio State with sanctions and coach firings, but as you stated we could only get out of our own division once. But we have to look out the windshield and know that if we continue to recruit at the pace the 2018 class is starting out, we can have the athlete advantage on every team in our division.

We have to figure out a way to keep DWilliams... i'm not saying he's going anywhere, but he is recruiting all this talent that it's unbelievable. If he does not have aspirations to be a coordinator, I think we can make it very enticing for him to stay. A place like Nebraska should not hesitate to pay whatever is needed to keep a guy that can convince a kid from anywhere to come to school in Lincoln. Williams x 2 we should never get outbid for. Period.
I'm going with post of the year. Great insight, and I believe everyone on her agrees also. Riley may not have the best career record, however I think he's assembled a great staff to make big things happen. We may be one or two coaches away yet. Like Carriker said build a Skyscraper beginning with the foundation.

Not true.
MANY studies disagree.
https://www.thebalance.com/top-reasons-why-employees-quit-their-job-1918985
1. Relationship with boss
Employees don’t need to be friends with their boss but they need to have a relationship. The boss is too much of an integral part of their daily lives at work for an uncomfortable relationship.

The boss provides direction and feedback, spends time in one-to-one meetings, and connects the employee to the larger organization. To have a toxic relationship with the person an employee reports to undermines the employee’s engagement, confidence, and commitment.

I know you guys are defining elite as in shear talent from a recruiting standpoint, but I feel like at their heights both Wisky and Sparty are elite in that they marry their system and players that fit that system, great evaluation, culture, and great development. If MR can continue to recruit at this level AND have components that make those two programs so good...that's the breakthrough we've all been waiting for. Just as an example USC and UCLA etc. have recruited elite talent and had plenty of middling season to show for the talent levels coming in. Now we've also seen the flipside with Bama.

As for coaches I agree, monetary reasons should never be a reason for any quality coach to leave. And as N2fl said, it should be proactive, not reactive. As they prove themselves they should be opening the wallet to show how valued they are.

As to why coaches leave, no doubt big raises make an impact, but I also feel relationships can and do play a factor. I wonder sometimes if coaches see a place like UCLA/A&M etc that are just surrounded by talent and think to themselves it would be easier to get in contact to open doors because the name is recognizable, the proximity of elite recruits, and their confidence in themselves being better than the previous coaches ability to help the program go to new heights being greater to their resume than just money alone (though those programs pay $$$ for sure...LSU for instance, which has had a lot of success too.)

Last edited:
I know you guys are defining elite as in shear talent from a recruiting standpoint, but I feel like at their heights both Wisky and Sparty are elite in that they marry their system and players that fit that system, culture, and great development. If MR can continue to recruit at this level AND have components that make those two programs so good...that's the breakthrough we've all been waiting for. Just as an example USC and UCLA etc. have recruited elite talent and had plenty of middling season to show for the talent levels coming in. Now we've also seen the flipside with Bama.
I'll just comment on your first paragraph, and that is just a multitude of further reasons why it doesn't just come down to recruiting and why the phrase "recruit better and we will win games" just doesn't sit well with me. Wisky, Sparty, and Iowa weren't recruiting even close to our level yet were beating us every year. There's way more to it than that. You can have elite recruiting classes like you have pointed out with USC, but they haven't done anything that special since Carroll left. It takes way more than just recruiting. That being said, we start recruiting at that top15 level and have that vision, that starts erasing losses to teams we have no business losing to for the most part.

I'll just comment on your first paragraph, and that is just a multitude of further reasons why it doesn't just come down to recruiting and why the phrase "recruit better and we will win games" just doesn't sit well with me. Wisky, Sparty, and Iowa weren't recruiting even close to our level yet were beating us every year. There's way more to it than that. You can have elite recruiting classes like you have pointed out with USC, but they haven't done anything that special since Carroll left. It takes way more than just recruiting. That being said, we start recruiting at that top15 level and have that vision, that starts erasing losses to teams we have no business losing to for the most part.

I feel like I've seen you state it before, so I was just agreeing with previous posts I guess. I just struggle reading "not elite" and seeing them churn out 10 win seasons, division, and conference titles. Haha. I rarely post, I would prefer reading people such as yourself that might have more insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back