• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Congrats Frank for being the all time wins coach in the MAC

Damn, I lost. I picked two posts before someone diminished this accomplishment.
I hate to ba that guy but facts are facts. He got this distinction I believe without ever winning a MAC championship. Look I think Frank is a good guy. As a coach he is better than average. Not good, not great, better than average. I still say that had he let Turner call the plays he may still be employed at NE. He wanted so bad to be TO that he thought he could do the same as TO. It was too much and other things in the the locker room suffered because he took too much on.

Frank looks... like Frank.

He seems so thrilled in that photo.
Pal that photo was taken before the Southern Mississippi game in 2003. I had just told him that Warren Buffet and I gave him our vote of confidence and that he would not be fired that year. Between us, Warren and I had Billions of dollars but that didn't persuade them enough I guess ;)

I hate to ba that guy but facts are facts. He got this distinction I believe without ever winning a MAC championship. Look I think Frank is a good guy. As a coach he is better than average. Not good, not great, better than average. I still say that had he let Turner call the plays he may still be employed at NE. He wanted so bad to be TO that he thought he could do the same as TO. It was too much and other things in the the locker room suffered because he took too much on.

Frank did give up play calling - to Barney Cotton - in 2003. He basically did everything fans said he needed to do at the time - move Tom’s old guard along (Milt, Young, Darlington). He fired Craig Bohl and brought in Pelini. The team went from 7-7 and 9-3 and it still wasn’t enough.

Like I said, Frank was done dirty. I have no idea if he’d have succeeded but he deserved more time, especially given that Plan A for his replacement was apparently Houston freakin’ Nutt.

Last edited:

Frank did give up play calling - to Barney Cotton - in 2003. He basically did everything fans said he needed to do at the time - move Tom’s old guard along (Milt, Young, Darlington). He fired Craig Bohl and brought in Pelini. The team went from 7-7 and 9-3 and it still wasn’t enough.

Like I said, Frank was done dirty. I have no idea if he’d have succeeded but he deserved more time, especially given that Plan A for his replacement was apparently Houston freakin’ Nutt.
I agree with your last sentence. He did probably deserve more time.

In hindsight, he was a great head coach at Nebraska. He never had a losing season, won a Big 12 title in 1999 and had three finishes in the top ten. NU has not won a conference title or had a top ten finish since. We may never again. There are no guarantees - Frost or no Frost.

While clearly not the same challenge Frost faces, Frank did have to do some rebuilding. Much of Tom's old guard left between 2000 and 2003 - some retired, some let go. Firing Frank before he was allowed to fully transition from Tom's old staff and succeed or fail on his own accord is the biggest mistake in NU football history and ground zero for the dismantling of Nebraska football.

Best post of the thread, well said.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back