• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Congrats Frank for being the all time wins coach in the MAC

Tom didn’t have the right to name Frank ... he was the coach not the AD. During a time when our AD had one foot out the door.

Continuing with FS would have been far preferable than the SP/BC debacle.

That would never happen now. Times have changed. Tom’s situation was singular though. I can’t think of another coach in any sport who closed their career with 3 championships in 5 years, dropped the mic and exited the stage.

He’d have never been allowed to name his successor had he not retired at his peak. He earned it in a way no other coach ever has.

Last edited:

TO set up FS to fail. Insisting that FS keep coaches that we’re loyal to TO. Guys who couldn’t or wouldn’t recruit. TO worked his butt off recruiting more so than many HCs during that era. He did so because he was a great closer and because he had guys who didn’t recruit all that well.
I don’t quite see it exactly that way but I understand how you arrived at this.
Frank did make the hard choices when it began to matter. I respected both being loyal to Tom and firing the assistants.

That would never happen now. Times have changed. Tom’s situation was singular though. I can’t think of another coach in any sport who closed their career with 3 championships in 5 years, dropped the mic and exited the stage.

He’d have never been allowed to name his successor had he not retired at his peak. He earned it in a way no other coach ever has.
True

Frank’s a good guy. But isn’t it evidence that he really wasn’t cut out for P5 work that he never returned?
I would say no he is/was a P5 coach. He stayed where he was, doing what he loved making a wage Im gussing he was happy with. Why leave ? To me Coach Solich is doing what he loves in a less stressful less BS environment and doing it well.

First of all I think if TO wasn’t beholding to a promise he made to FS that he would have coached for another 5 years or so. FS just interviewed and finished as a runner-up to Glenn Mason for the HC at Minnesota.

Second my choice way back then was Barry Alvarez. A Nebraska alum in his 7th year as HC at Wisconsin.
Fair enough.... and, Barry Alvarez, seeing what he's done at Wisconsin, is extremely intriguing indeed. It's all a what if, who knows, what could have been scenario now, but intriguing none the less.

In hindsight, he was a great head coach at Nebraska. He never had a losing season, won a Big 12 title in 1999 and had three finishes in the top ten. NU has not won a conference title or had a top ten finish since. We may never again. There are no guarantees - Frost or no Frost.

While clearly not the same challenge Frost faces, Frank did have to do some rebuilding. Much of Tom's old guard left between 2000 and 2003 - some retired, some let go. Firing Frank before he was allowed to fully transition from Tom's old staff and succeed or fail on his own accord is the biggest mistake in NU football history and ground zero for the dismantling of Nebraska football.
I liked Frank too.Hiring an AD who wouldn’t stand for mediocrity and hiring a couple head coaches who won’t be mentioned here are not far behind that blunder.Keep the faith.GBR.

Congrats to him, he's a good coach. Would have been interesting to see what he could have done when he changed the staff that last year. I thought the revamped Husker coaching staff was solid

Agreed. That staff had potential and some momentum. I wonder how our trajectory would have changed w/o that one unfortunate decision. Frank made the really hard decision to let some of the old timers go that had given so much. But, had to be done. Then, he pulled together a good staff and had a decent year. Really unfortunate and a bad image for Nebraska to let the staff go at that point. I remember Urban Meyer saying he wasn't interested in going somewhere where they fire a 10-win coach.

Heres a pic of Frank congratulating me on my 40th year as a Nebraska fan ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back