• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Confirmed: , B1G. Going To A 10 Game Conference Schedule in 2020;

Very likely. But I like the idea of having games, even if no fans in stands.
Not zero fans but a couple of brave fans. Halftime game .... ;)

Memorial-Stadium-Lincoln-Section-36A-Row-55-on-9-10-2016_FL.jpg

Last edited:

Based on the Dienhart article, I don't think the Big 10 is thinking about a delayed start to the season. The unnamed Big 10 coach Dienhart quoted (who ended up being correct on the length of the regular season) said that games would probably start on September 5th or September 12th.

The coach said that the conference wants to build flexibility into the schedule in case a team can't play one week and the game has to be postponed.
Bowling Green athletic director Bob Moosbrugger said the Big Ten's decision is just "the tip of the iceberg."

Based on the Dienhart article, I don't think the Big 10 is thinking about a delayed start to the season. The unnamed Big 10 coach Dienhart quoted (who ended up being correct on the length of the regular season) said that games would probably start on September 5th or September 12th.

The coach said that the conference wants to build flexibility into the schedule in case a team can't play one week and the game has to be postponed.
I have a feeling this has been planned for quite awhile. My daughter will be a freshman at Iowa next month and about 3 weeks ago we got an adjusted fall schedule that has students staying home after thanksgiving and taking the last 2 weeks of classes and finals remotely. I think it’s hurry up and play our 19 games and be done at this point.

IMO there are a number of elephants in the room. One of them was highlighted by Stanford yesterday. They eliminated 11 sports and are still expected to run a deficit. I would not be surprised if Moos has had similar very uncomfortable discussions about eventually being forced to cut sports.

If there are games, TV money will help but not having fans at games is going to still really hurt. Not to mention the businesses in Lincoln and other cities that make money on fall football Saturdays. If the virus continues into next spring and the men's NCAA tournament is cancelled again, Lord help college sports.
our “donations” to buy the seats this year just included the actual price of tickets. DONU has counted way too much on those donations for years ever since the Dollar Bill era. When the Big Ten windfall started to hit they kept spending instead of shifting Big Money to replace donor money.

Listening to the OSU athletic director on the BIG network just now, he volunteered that it could easily be that there would be no games at all this Fall. He gave examples of players having a pool party (not OSU players), some others had a house party) and that ruined it at two schools. He bemoaned the fact that kids just weren't taking it seriously, even though its clear that there are lingering effects for young people that no one quite knows how to deal with. I think I am right that Columbus is now one of the very hot spots for the virus. And if OSU isn't playing, I don't think there will a season..

2020 CFB and other fall sports are toast, I think. The Dominoes are falling. Too much uncertainty.

The Power conferences, even with the economic incentives, have been slowly backpedaling from the Happy Talk and hoping for the best since March. They're hitting the wall

And us fans have been hoping it all somehow works out.

Anyone remember way back when all the angst about U of Cincinnati cancelling spring practice?

Listening to the OSU athletic director on the BIG network just now, he volunteered that it could easily be that there would be no games at all this Fall. He gave examples of players having a pool party (not OSU players), some others had a house party) and that ruined it at two schools. He bemoaned the fact that kids just weren't taking it seriously, even though its clear that there are lingering effects for young people that no one quite knows how to deal with. I think I am right that Columbus is now one of the very hot spots for the virus. And if OSU isn't playing, I don't think there will a season..

To me, that's all the more reason to just go ahead and play the damn games. These kids don't care about the coronavirus and will get it regardless of whether or not games are played.

The Ivy League doesn't necessarily have the resources (not just financial, but logistical) to make football work this fall, and they have arguably zero incentive to play. The B1G has different incentives and resources, and I think it's likely football proceeds this fall.

Not in athletics at least. Harvard's endowment could afford to give every single student free tuition for like 40 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back