• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Comments on the season record contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep.

While true, Nebraska should be the better team ... there's a ton in Penn State's favor for their matchup with Nebraska.

Not only, as I mentioned, the very difficult stadium environment ... and the fact that Nebraska plays a hellacious slate in the three games prior while Penn State will have played its easiest 3-game conference set (again, Nebraska is the team more likely to be beat up heading into this matchup)... But add in the fact that it's Penn State's final home game of the season.. Senior Day...maybe a White Out... (as Yuengling said, it's going to basically be their bowl game) ... Penn State won't have nearly the pressure on them to win the game. For Nebraska, it may very well determine if they go to the Big Ten Championship or not. This game screams DANGER big time.

I don't think we have shown enough to chalk up any game against a solid team, especially on the road, as a win. PSU is very well coached and they're guys are playing with a huge chip on their shoulders. They nearly beat us in Lincoln last year, and they really didn't lose many players due to the scandal. If their QB is serviceable, watch out.

Good points.

I don't think we have shown enough to chalk up any game against a solid team, especially on the road, as a win. PSU is very well coached and they're guys are playing with a huge chip on their shoulders. They nearly beat us in Lincoln last year, and they really didn't lose many players due to the scandal. If their QB is serviceable, watch out.

He should be serviceable ... at the very least ... Hackenberg... he is a 5-star recruit ... though a true freshman. However, a freshman playing in late-November is hardly a freshman any longer. That said, Tyler Ferguson will push him for the starting job.

I am convinced O'Brien knows how to develop a QB. Matt McGloin was very mediocre prior to last season. Spent much of his career sharing starting duties. O'Brien turned him into a star -- most passing yards in a season in Penn State history. 3,271 passing yards (which was more than the rest of his career at PSU combined) ... 24 TDs and 5 INTs (compared to 22 and 14 the three seasons prior). Highest QB rating in the Big Ten last season.

A pretty solid write up found here: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=teamreports-2013-ncaaf-ppb

Keys To Success: The Nittany Lions have the Big Ten’s top group of tight ends and arguably its best wide receiver in Allen Robinson, plus 1,000-yard rusher Zach Zwinak, home-run threat Akeel Lynch and a veteran offensive line. Finding a solid rotation of defensive tackles to complement stud DE Deion Barnes will be key, and though replacing LBs (and leaders) Michael Mauti and Gerald Hodges won’t be easy, Penn State is confident Glenn Carson and Mike Hull will keep “Linebacker U” in good stead.
Areas Of Concern: Penn State will need solid play from a new right tackle and for its young quarterback to minimize mistakes. The NCAA sanctions have begun to rob the team of depth, particularly along the defensive line and at linebacker. CBs Trevor Williams and Jordan Lucas are true sophomores who logged little time last season (Williams was a wide receiver until the spring), and Penn State’s special teams—both the kicking and return units—left plenty to be desired last season.

This....and they recruited well.

Thought his comments were interesting....linked from the front page:

Unless Dirk is talking ballets or Broadway musicals then his opinion holds as much water as a spaghetti strainer...;)

That being said, I would actually do the same with every game in November and favor us in every game except Michigan. My problem is, i'm not looking at them individually and I don't think you can. I think if these games were more spread out we matchup very well, we play these very solid teams back to back to back to back to back. I think we stumble but hope i'm wrong. Youth has to grow up in the first two months.

The good news is that the position that we need to step up is looking not as bad as I originally thought...

Last edited:
Could say that about anyone on here too.....including you and I....;) :Biggrin:

The more I read about Michigan the less concerned I am....they have a ton of issues on both lines....lot of holes to plug....and I'm not sold on Gardner...and a new pro-style offense to boot....the spread is gone and their top LB (Thigpen) is out with a knee injury until at least mid-season....I really like our chances in that one....

You know I really like Bill O'Brien.....but Penn State is going to have depth problems this year.....and no it won't be an easy game....but with only 68 players on scholarship they are going to struggle late in the season with injuries, nicks and bruises.......and if we have to play them that is when I would rather do so....

We are lucky that we have Northwestern, MSU and UCLA at home...

Unless Dirk is talking ballets or Broadway musicals then his opinion holds as much water as a spaghetti strainer...;)

That being said, I would actually do the same with every game in November and favor us in every game except Michigan. My problem is, i'm not looking at them individually and I don't think you can. I think if these games were more spread out we matchup very well, we play these very solid teams back to back to back to back to back. I think we stumble but hope i'm wrong. Youth has to grow up in the first two months.

The good news is that the position that we need to step up is looking not as bad as I originally thought...

Last edited:

Not only, as I mentioned, the very difficult stadium environment ... and the fact that Nebraska plays a hellacious slate in the three games prior while Penn State will have played its easiest 3-game conference set ....

Hey can someone with the password please fix the front page. Obviously the schedule I'm looking at on the front page can't be right. "hellacious slate in the three games prior"? The three games I see are Northwester, @ Mich and Mich State. That can't be the three games HWM is talking about. Right? MSU was a poor football team last year and will likely be even worse this year without Bell. Northwestern...that NU lost to them 2 years ago and lucked out last year says more about NURED than NUpurple. Yeah, I'll give you Michigan. But that's far from hellacious.

Hey can someone with the password please fix the front page. Obviously the schedule I'm looking at on the front page can't be right. "hellacious slate in the three games prior"? The three games I see are Northwester, @ Mich and Mich State. That can't be the three games HWM is talking about. Right? MSU was a poor football team last year and will likely be even worse this year without Bell. Northwestern...that NU lost to them 2 years ago and lucked out last year says more about NURED than NUpurple. Yeah, I'll give you Michigan. But that's far from hellacious.

Hellacious is relative :) ... certainly our toughest stretch of the season (plus Penn State). And it's not like we dominated MSU or Northwestern in 2013. And you compare that to Penn State playing Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota prior to playing Nebraska ... it's pretty clear who has the more difficult road ahead of the Huskers-Nittany Lions matchup. While bumps and bruises can happen anytime against any opponent (or even practice) ... seems much more likely that Nebraska will be the team taking much more the physical pounding prior to the November 23rd game.

Agreed. Home or away Bo's teams have found a way to lose a game to a team that they should have beat every year. I want to see us run the table. We have at least 5 games that could be a loss if we don't play well.

Agreed. Home or away Bo's teams have found a way to lose a game to a team that they should have beat every year. I want to see us run the table. We have at least 5 games that could be a loss if we don't play well.

Last year they actually managed not to drop any games that really have you thinking "What the...?" That's not to say the way they lost the games they last wasn't disturbing. At least 3 of the 4 were.

Time for that to stop. NU has a really easy schedule. 10-2 is about as bad as it could get. 12-0 is about as doable as it will ever be.

Last year they actually managed not to drop any games that really have you thinking "What the...?" That's not to say the way they lost the games they last wasn't disturbing. At least 3 of the 4 were.

Time for that to stop. NU has a really easy schedule. 10-2 is about as bad as it could get. 12-0 is about as doable as it will ever be.

I was thinking the CCG vs a 7-5 team was a game we should have won but yeah yeah I get your point. We have lost to worse teams in the past.

Last edited:

Would you consider 10-2 acceptable or a failure?

(I do agree that it will not be any time soon that Nebraska will have an easier schedule ... meaning there isn't a single game they can't win.)

Last edited:

Until we show that we can win a game that we aren't favored to win (earliest lines show a toss-up), I lean toward PSU given the relative schedules leading up to that match-up as well as the advantage to the home team. An extremely hostile environment with nasty fans, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back