• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Comments on the season record contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
So as not to clutter up the actual contest, I thought we could post some thoughts about it here.

I'm surprised by how many people are predicting a loss to PSU. Are those predictions just to give you a different entry in the contest, or do you really think that's a likely loss?

The only potential losses are to UCLA, Michigan, and possibly Northwestern since they seem to get up for NU. I don't see them losing to any of those teams...12-0 going into the CCG. UCLA and Northwestern at home, and a Michigan team that's a year away from potentially being really good.

So as not to clutter up the actual contest, I thought we could post some thoughts about it here.

I'm surprised by how many people are predicting a loss to PSU. Are those predictions just to give you a different entry in the contest, or do you really think that's a likely loss?

I think they have a good shot in all the games but I didn't want to be another Michigan loss in the contest. The PSU game could be tough, towards the end of the season on the road.

I'm more surprised by a couple of the total points predictions.

Last edited:

Playing Penn State at night will be tough in that place.The fans hate Nebraska and think they were screwed last year.It will be their Bowl Game and if the weather sucks they'll believe they can win an ugly game.

PSU will be struggling by season's end. Injuries are inevitable, particularly along the OL and DL, and the Lions have insufficient quality of depth at those positions, and Linebacker.

If you thought Nebraska had problems at the end of last season in those areas then you can imagine what might happen at Penn State.

O'Brien might be a great coach, but even he isn't going to turn 2/3 star freshmen into two or three year Senior starters.

PSU will be struggling by season's end. Injuries are inevitable, particularly along the OL and DL, and the Lions have insufficient quality of depth at those positions, and Linebacker.

If you thought Nebraska had problems at the end of last season in those areas then you can imagine what might happen at Penn State.

O'Brien might be a great coach, but even he isn't going to turn 2/3 star freshmen into two or three year Senior starters.

I could have sworn I read here a few days ago that Nebraska's roster size is almost exactly the same as Penn State's.

My personal opinion is that Penn State is the second most difficult game on our schedule. That's one brutally tough environment to play in (we did not experience that last visit to State College as it was the week of the scandal fallout). I would put only Ohio State on the same level as Penn State so far as most difficult stadiums to play in. And I also look at our schedule versus theirs leading up to that game. Nebraska plays Northwestern, Michigan, and Michigan State the three weeks prior. Penn State plays Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue. If you are asking me which team has more of a chance to be physically beat up heading into that game, it's Nebraska. That's a brutal task after playing those three games prior -- and it's home cooking after a relatively easy slate of games for Penn State -- where they may even be able to rest some starters in a game or two.

I haven't yet picked the W-L contest... but that's one I will mull over. Regardless, the tough calls on games ... like how I see this one ... I do oftentimes go against the majority just to be different from the pack.

I could have sworn I read here a few days ago that Nebraska's roster size is almost exactly the same as Penn State's.

I believe that was me that said that when we were down to 76 scholarship players at the time. I have looked and it appears Penn St had 68 scholarship players at the end of June but were expecting to play with around 70 or so come this fall. Keep in mind we have a larger walk-on program as well. That being said, they have 13 DL and 13 OL on scholarship with the sanctions coming up - they are stacked where most injuries occur.

I believe that was me that said that when we were down to 76 scholarship players at the time. I have looked and it appears Penn St had 68 scholarship players at the end of June but were expecting to play with around 70 or so come this fall. Keep in mind we have a larger walk-on program as well. That being said, they have 13 DL and 13 OL on scholarship with the sanctions coming up - they are stacked where most injuries occur.

Yeah -- that's right, it was your post I read. Certainly not a huge difference -- and I don't know that the walk-ons make that much of a difference in the grand scheme. Being stacked on the lines is smart strategy by the coaching staff. And while Penn State will be fairly young, they are signing quality talent -- even if thin in some areas. Penn State is one team I will never underestimate -- until I see reason to believe they aren't that good (and that reason to believe may never come).

Yeah -- that's right, it was your post I read. Certainly not a huge difference -- and I don't know that the walk-ons make that much of a difference in the grand scheme. Being stacked on the lines is smart strategy by the coaching staff. And while Penn State will be fairly young, they are signing quality talent -- even if thin in some areas. Penn State is one team I will never underestimate -- until I see reason to believe they aren't that good (and that reason to believe may never come).

I may have misled a little bit on that, and you're right walk-ons can fill gaps but won't be able for the most part to step in on a regular basis. I was a little frustrated when I saw that number that we had. Penn State doesn't have to be at 65 scholarships until next season so we will see what happens. But our grind in November doesn't leave me too optimistic that we will be able to pull out of it undefeated. IMO we lose somewhere in that month with 9 new full-time starters on defense.

My personal opinion is that Penn State is the second most difficult game on our schedule. That's one brutally tough environment to play in (we did not experience that last visit to State College as it was the week of the scandal fallout). I would put only Ohio State on the same level as Penn State so far as most difficult stadiums to play in. And I also look at our schedule versus theirs leading up to that game. Nebraska plays Northwestern, Michigan, and Michigan State the three weeks prior. Penn State plays Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue. If you are asking me which team has more of a chance to be physically beat up heading into that game, it's Nebraska. That's a brutal task after playing those three games prior -- and it's home cooking after a relatively easy slate of games for Penn State -- where they may even be able to rest some starters in a game or two.

I haven't yet picked the W-L contest... but that's one I will mull over. Regardless, the tough calls on games ... like how I see this one ... I do oftentimes go against the majority just to be different from the pack.

Count me as a Bill O'Brien admirer, and after reading the posts by you, ***, and Yuengling I may have to add them to the list of potential losses. I guess I've already started discounting them some which may not be real prudent at this point. I still think NU can beat them, tough environment or not, but a slobber-knocker down to the last minute wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I was in State College the year we got crushed, the PSU fans were horrible. Rude big time...
I hope we kick a little tail. ;)

Count me as a Bill O'Brien admirer, and after reading the posts by you, ***, and Yuengling I may have to add them to the list of potential losses. I guess I've already started discounting them some which may not be real prudent at this point. I still think NU can beat them, tough environment or not, but a slobber-knocker down to the last minute wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Yep.

While true, Nebraska should be the better team ... there's a ton in Penn State's favor for their matchup with Nebraska.

Not only, as I mentioned, the very difficult stadium environment ... and the fact that Nebraska plays a hellacious slate in the three games prior while Penn State will have played its easiest 3-game conference set (again, Nebraska is the team more likely to be beat up heading into this matchup)... But add in the fact that it's Penn State's final home game of the season.. Senior Day...maybe a White Out... (as Yuengling said, it's going to basically be their bowl game) ... Penn State won't have nearly the pressure on them to win the game. For Nebraska, it may very well determine if they go to the Big Ten Championship or not. This game screams DANGER big time.

Last edited:

I don't think we have shown enough to chalk up any game against a solid team, especially on the road, as a win. PSU is very well coached and they're guys are playing with a huge chip on their shoulders. They nearly beat us in Lincoln last year, and they really didn't lose many players due to the scandal. If their QB is serviceable, watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back