• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Walters talks offense & QB development

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need me to explain to you how 2016 UCF:

2* starter
Leading preseason backup was 2015 WR
Added 3* JUCO and 3* HS kid

is not identical to:

returning 2 4* QBs, adding a 3rd, bringing Vedral in, Masker as a walk on, etc.

Seems like those situations aren't nearly identical, but whatever.

Not that i agree with everything in this thread, but 2 QBs ranked for their abilities in a pro-style offense, a transfer who is not eligible this year (yet) and a walk-on is seriously reaching to see it as a considerable difference. At best, i think it indicates neither time did the staff know what they had in the room, however they probably didn't have the perfect QB waiting for them.

Don't worry. POB will get his chance. Now tell us, where do you think he will be on the depth chart after spring ball or in September?

As you do your assessment, it would be best not to dismiss POB's competition...Martinez, Gebbia, and Bunch.

POB has QB talent. I am sure he can run SF's offense, but I think Martinez, Gebbia, and Bunch have the natural abilities to run it better. That is just my opinion.

In the end, it is Coach Verduzco's opinion that counts.

Bottom line: This is what SF is looking for

marcus-mariota-ncaa-football-michigan-state-oregon.jpg

Does POB in any way remind you Marcus Mariota?

Now look at Andrew Bunch. Doesn't he at least remind you of Monte Christo?

1998-game-3-photo.jpg
Damn I miss the black shoes.

Go look at POB junior year stats. They have been posted many times and they are easy to find in Google searches. Suffice to say he ran a lot. Senior season they switched to pro style and he did not run as much.

I believe POB had more rushes as a junior than did Milton as a senior. Milton was a ridiculous athlete, so I'm not saying POB or Gebbia are on that level, but those suggesting we have no serviceable running threats are willfully ignoring facts.

UCF 2016 & NU 2018 - The QB situation similarities

1. Both had nothing but pro-style QBs on hand.
2. None of the eligible QBs are familiar with SF's offensive system
3. Both teams are forced to start a QB who has never played a CF game using SF's offensive system.
4. Both teams landed one dual-threat QB recruit

Differences

1. QBs NU has on hand had higher star ratings than UCFs
2. NU's dual-threat QB recruit was an early enrollee
3. NU has an ineligible quarterback on board (Noah Vedral) who can help bring NU's QBs up to speed.
4. NU does not have a returning starter. UCF did.

I think the similarities outweigh the differences. The fact that both teams were/are forced to start a QB that has never played a game using SF's system is the similarity that carries the most weight. QB star rankings, which are nothing but a indicator of potential, are not as valuable as playing experience.

McKenzie Milton was OK playing his 1st year in SF's offense and was brilliant a year later.

Steve Sipple points out that UCF's offense under SF in year one was shaky...113th in total offense. Can we expect NU's offense to take off like gangbusters in year 1?

Who knows? Jamaille Holliway won a NC as a true freshman QB at Oklahoma.

Its really not important. Like many have said, we just want to see the culture change...see a united, hard charging team. What happens in the long run is what counts.

Last edited:
They were outstanding threads though ultimately they proved to be wrong and nothing more than a bunch of sunshine pumping. In just a few months, I'll get started with some interesting SF sunshine pumping threads.
Thanks for the warning.

I believe POB had more rushes as a junior than did Milton as a senior. Milton was a ridiculous athlete, so I'm not saying POB or Gebbia are on that level, but those suggesting we have no serviceable running threats are willfully ignoring facts.

All of the QBs on NU's roster can run SF's offense. All of them can hurt defenses with their running ability to some degree or another.

But at UCF in 2016, SF used the QBs who could run the best. Pete DiNovo and Garret Kruczek were great passers...better than Milton and Nick Patti in 2016, and just as good as Justin Holman...but they were 4th and 5th on UCF's depth chart because the other 3 were much better runners.

I think SF will do the same at NU. Yes, POB is capable of running SFs offense or any other offense. But IMHO, SF will place his best runners at the top of the depth chart, and because of that I feel POB will probably finish 4th.

POB can run some but I feel that Martinez, Gebbia, and Bunch have better mobility and are better runners than POB. POB is a fine QB, but in SF's system I do not think he will fit as well as the other 3. The difference between our #1 and #4 QB in 2018 could well be a very narrow difference.

I'm sure a poll we crop up sooner or later...Who will start at QB?

I think it will be Gebbia or Martinez...and POB might be just an inch behind.

Last edited:

You of course, don't know any of this for a fact. But back to your claims from earlier who is this graduate transfer that Nebraska should go after? Who is this person Who Will Win us the Big 10 West?

I'd say Stanley Jackson feels that playing experience is more valuable than the star rankings you admire so much. Jackson does not know if a grad transfer is available that could help SF's offense. He was just saying that it would be a good idea for SF to look for one.

Jackson is not going to bet on NU to win the West until he knows that we have a capable game day QB. Right now, nobody knows if NU has a capable starting QB...not even you Mr. Shrine.

But Jackson and everyone else will know by at least mid-September.

Last edited:
I'd say Stanley Jackson feels that playing experience is more valuable than the star rankings you admire so much. Jackson does not know if a grad transfer is available that could help SF's offense. He was just saying that it would be a good idea for SF to look for one.

Jackson is not going to bet on NU to win the West until he knows that we have a capable game day QB. Right now, nobody knows if NU has a capable starting QB...not even you Mr. Shrine.

But Jackson and everyone else will know by at least mid-September.

In other words, Jackson doesn't know crap about any of NUs QBs, and, rather than take the time to look, feels NU will have a better shot with someone he can't name. Genius work your citing there. And, yes, I do like highly rated QBs, such as Martinez. I value analyst rankings, offer lists, winning in HS, state POY, and about 20 other things.

Then why do you follow and examine every move I make? What's the attraction for you? Is it an overwhelming desire to become my mother in law?

"Solesrfr, I'm not interested in playing with you, so please stop following me. Isn't there a bone or a chew toy waiting for you somewhere?"

puppydan.png

Don't flatter yourself, I merely replied to your inaccurate accusation while reading a thread. You know, like all of us do on here.

C

I have no problem with his stats....i was just asking how someone can substantiate a claim of "he was almost rated a DT QB", unless they actually do the rankings or work for someone who does.
Fair question. I can because I remember that being a point of discussion when he was recruited. Some even pointed out that MR was recruiting him because he was learning from having TA that a statue is not the best type of QB to have. Then Gebbia had like three runs in last years spring game and suddenly he is a mobile QB and POB is a statue. If he had duplicated or improved on this Jr rushing stats 143 carries for 645 yds ypc of 4.5 ypg 58. it is pretty easy to put him in the DT category. Actually when you compare Jr HS seasons only. TA and POB have very similar stats. TA 102 carries/490 yds, 4.8 YPC, YPG 32.7. So again the numbers match up. By comparison Gebbia who everyone is touting, His best year was his senior year for rushing 77 carries/293 yds, 3.8 YPC and YPG 19.5. So if you just look at those stats. Who appears to be the better DT QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back