• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Verduzco!!!

I'd take Gill. Nothing against Tommie, but he was abrasive, and if Berringer hadn't been as gracious as he was in being benched, Tommie's personality would have likely led to intrateam squabbles.

Turner Gill had no weaknesses as a QB, leader, or as a man. He's the only Nebraska player that I can remember Barry regretting that he didn't get.
I was a student at DONU when Gill, Rozier, and Fryer were tearing it up. I have to disagree here. TF led his teams to two nattys and came within a makeable 45 yard field goal of three staight. Teammates would say yes he was an a## but he was their a##. Tom Brady, MJ, Kobe, and Terry Bradshaw were not super loved but teammates loved the titles and notoriety that came with it. Tommy admitted in interviews he was not trying to be anyones friend.

n018cXw.png

I was a student at DONU when Gill, Rozier, and Fryer were tearing it up. I have to disagree here. TF led his teams to two nattys and came within a makeable 45 yard field goal of three staight. Teammates would say yes he was an a## but he was their a##. Tom Brady, MJ, Kobe, and Terry Bradshaw were not super loved but teammates loved the titles and notoriety that came with it. Tommy admitted in interviews he was not trying to be anyones friend.
I don’t think it was Tommy being a leader that got them those championships, I think it was an incredibly strong roster, both mentally and physically, on both sides of the ball. Tommy sulking on the sidelines when we had to gut it out against CU or KSU wasn’t leadership. And you might want to chat with some of the guys privately about who they wanted to play harder for. TF was a heck of a player, but being a prick, no matter how talented, doesn’t make people want to play harder for you, it actually takes stronger personalities to look past that, and we were fortunate to have those types of people playing on a team with TF. Had we not, the season would have failed, so I credit those players easily as much as I do Tommy.

Last edited:

Coach V is going to be tied to 2AM and vice versa to us for all the obvious reasons. I don’t think anyone would argue that 2AM is very skilled and the best QB on this roster. He just keeps making mistakes at the worst times. Usually mental mistakes. In this game a few bad mental mistakes per game is the difference between winning and losing. They brought Vedral in to be a quality option if 2AM isn’t performing/gets hurt. Obviously, and rightfully so, Vedral wanted to start and indeed is doing that.
The problem is that the rest of the room is filled with projects. You have to REALLY believe in your teaching to have a room of projects in the Big10. The reality is that in the current climate you just aren’t going to keep 2 starter level QB’s on the roster unless you are Bama, Clemson, OSU. So, you better be confident you can develop your talent. We have not seen that yet but man…. These are young guys.

I’m honestly more worried about the RB room. This is where we just can’t find “the dude.” That concerns me because we have a ton of talent.

@LarstheRed If we didn't have Tommie, the whole state can kiss those championships goodbye. The proof is in the results, and Tommie delivered unlike any NU qb we have ever had, period. That is an objective fact.

@LarstheRed If we didn't have Tommie, the whole state can kiss those championships goodbye. The proof is in the results, and Tommie delivered unlike any NU qb we have ever had, period. That is an objective fact.
Maybe in 94 we don’t win it but we would’ve in 95. I don’t necessarily think he was a good teammate or even likef but he was probably pretty well respected for his talent. I agreed with Lars because I think the players would’ve rather played for Brook and he didn’t behave like a team player when he got benched. That’s why I was so proud of how Adrian Martinez took his benching in 2020. With that being said his talent was undeniable.

Piggybacking on what @HuskerNash said, 95 wasn’t reliant on TF, and while he had some big moments in 94 late against Miami, was that his superior leadership, or was that the intense pounding the line and Phillips and company put on them?

Last edited:

Piggybacking on what @HuskerNash said, 95 wasn’t reliant on TF, and while he had some big moments in 94 late against Miami, was that his superior leadership, or was that the intense pounding the line and Phillips and company put on them?
I honestly cannot believe the Tommie bashing here, and especially the revisionist history. Look, I met Tommie at a Hy Vee on a Sunday morning. Was he kind? Nope! Did he answer my question? Yep. Did he shake my hand? Yep! Did he have to? Nope! Does it matter? 1000% NO.

I love Brook, but holy cow. No way win win those NC's without Tommie either year. There is a reason Tommie was the starter. There was a reason Tommie was so sought after. There was a reason TO said:
"I remember when Turner Gill signed, there was great rejoicing in Nebraska, " Osborne told The World-Herald. "We'd beaten Oklahoma for him. Turner Gill was an option quarterback, and that was OK. But now, I'm not so sure people don't feel like we need to go over and recruit a Gino Torretta."

I found this in like 2 seconds. You know, you all should read this article because times haven't really changed as much as one might think. I am sure I could find many quotes from TO that support my words here, but does it really matter? Frazier is nationally known as one of the greatest college QB's of all time and I have to argue that on a nebraska forum with people who probably loved the firing of Frank and the adoration of Billy C. It sickens me, quite frankly. Frazier was about as great as you can get. I call BS on your opinion, quite objectively. And if I stand alone in my support of Frazier's history, so be it. Flame away.

I honestly cannot believe the Tommie bashing here, and especially the revisionist history. Look, I met Tommie at a Hy Vee on a Sunday morning. Was he kind? Nope! Did he answer my question? Yep. Did he shake my hand? Yep! Did he have to? Nope! Does it matter? 1000% NO.

I love Brook, but holy cow. No way win win those NC's without Tommie either year. There is a reason Tommie was the starter. There was a reason Tommie was so sought after. There was a reason TO said:

I found this in like 2 seconds. You know, you all should read this article because times haven't really changed as much as one might think. I am sure I could find many quotes from TO that support my words here, but does it really matter? Frazier is nationally known as one of the greatest college QB's of all time and I have to argue that on a nebraska forum with people who probably loved the firing of Frank and the adoration of Billy C. It sickens me, quite frankly. Frazier was about as great as you can get. I call BS on your opinion, quite objectively. And if I stand alone in my support of Frazier's history, so be it. Flame away.

I can't speak for others, but if you're referring to what I said, you have completely misread what I intended. I was merely saying that Turner Gill was better. I still think that. If that makes me anti-Tommie, well ... what's the point of talking?

Tommie Frazier was a great QB, and he should have won the Heisman. I understand why Osborne started him. I can say that and also say that I feel confident that we would have won both the '94 and '95 NCs with Brook Berringer. It's an opinion that's unprovable, either way, but it's not crazy. Just because I think that doesn't mean that I'm suddenly a blasphemous Husker fan.

I can't speak for others, but if you're referring to what I said, you have completely misread what I intended. I was merely saying that Turner Gill was better. I still think that. If that makes me anti-Tommie, well ... what's the point of talking?

Tommie Frazier was a great QB, and he should have won the Heisman. I understand why Osborne started him. I can say that and also say that I feel confident that we would have won both the '94 and '95 NCs with Brook Berringer. It's an opinion that's unprovable, either way, but it's not crazy. Just because I think that doesn't mean that I'm suddenly a blasphemous Husker fan.
I wasn't saying you were a blasphemous Husker fan. :) In fact, I wasn't even referencing your post at all. I did notice that you preferred Gill, tho. I understand. I was on the fence with that myself, but I'm assuming you saw previous post as to what led me to my current conclusion. What a joy to have had them both, wasn't it?

I mentioned in a previous post about Turner embracing Tommie as they walked off the field after the '93 OB. I would also like to mention the retribution that no one ever talks about. The 2 point conversion in the '94 OB. I could also argue that that may never have occurred if Turner was not the coach. I don't know, lots of ghosts exercised that night. Always love your posts @Middle-aged_Ball_Coach !

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back