• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked "Class on Grass"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the way it's looked at times so far.
The first couple games both lines were definitely not the Alpha's, and the secondary looks like they've seen the coverages on the whiteboard but never actually ran it full speed.

Yeah. I heard they weren't even leaving the meeting rooms for practice. It's all film study and whiteboards.

When was the last time the OL looked "alpha"? It's been a while.

With Nebraska's depth issues...particularly on defense do you really think hitting for 4 hours a day is a good idea?

Nevermind...that was just spring ball. I'm guessing they probably aren't hitting any more than anyone else in-season.

Last edited:
With Nebraska's depth issues...particularly on defense do you really think hitting for 4 hours a day is a good idea?

During the week is the only time they get a chance to hit. Lord knows they aren't on Saturdays ;)

Good article on Michigan's 4 hour, full pads, full contact practices. ]

This is misleading.

the actual quote:

Four hours at a time ... in full pads ... and with a fair share of contact at full speed.

No doubt they were tough practices. But it was a "fair share" of contact not 4 hour of contact.

Yep, right now is not a good time for us to be going this route. Middle of season and far too beat up.

However, one of Nebraska's huge advantages is the walk-on program and overall size of our roster. Unlike the NFL and most college teams our roster is huge. In a perfect world we should have the depth to practice more physically than most teams.

There were some interesting comments by Pat Fitzgerald a couple days ago about their emphasis this off-season in getting more guys involved early and building depth. Injuries had really killed them in years past so they made it a point to do a better job of getting the next guy ready to play before the injury happened. This emphasis was based on research and conversations with Jim Tressel.

Guess the point is do you practice less physical to keep guys healthy or more physical to help get more guys ready to play? Hard for young players to get up to speed if they're not going live in practice, pretty much have to wait until the injury happens and then thrown them in the fire.

Last edited:
I had the privilege of being in the same room with TO and it was a small crowed so we could chat. One of the things that stood out to me was when he said during the championships runs they had enough depth and practice teams players they could run two full offensive practices and two full defensive practices. Basically it was playing a real football game with enough players to play both sides of the ball it just did not have refs.

Not sure if we do that now, but it does seems to be one of the difference makers then.

I had the privilege of being in the same room with TO and it was a small crowed so we could chat. One of the things that stood out to me was when he said during the championships runs they had enough depth and practice teams players they could run two full offensive practices and two full defensive practices. Basically it was playing a real football game with enough players to play both sides of the ball it just did not have refs.

Not sure if we do that now, but it does seems to be one of the difference makers then.

Oddly, we didn't seem to have the amount of injuries we have now either.

We need to model Junction Boys practice.

the-junction-boys-movie-poster-2002-1020211226.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back