• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chatelain: With Scott Frost's new system, a culture war is coming to the Big Ten

• Thread starter Deleted member 3561
  • Start date

For what it's worth, this is what I was opining about bils....
Except that isn't what he said. He didn't guarantee the spread meant a bad defense. I think that has been proportionally blown up through out this thread. He did make note of some statistical numbers that SF's defense's were laying out the last couple of games as a concern. I'm guessing that is somewhat alarming to everyone including Scott Frost and something he wants to work on for improvement.

Didn't read his article, but my thought would be you need an 'opportunistic' defense more so than a great defense. You can give up yards and some points, but if you can hold them to FG's instead of TD's or even get some turnovers in the red zone, you don't need at least stat wise a top 10 defense. Just need to get critical stops/turnovers at the right time.

Of which UCF was top 5 in turnover margin this year.

Last edited:

On the radio yesterday they talked how about Husker fans will need to re-calibrate how they define a good defense because of the quick strike offense. For example, total defense may not be as important as more specific stats, such as points allowed per possession. If follows that if TOP is down, opposing teams will have more time with the ball and likely more yards per game as a result. Looking at points allowed per possession may be a better indicator of how the defense is playing.
NU's emphasis will be on offense. I'm okay with that but it will be difficult for me to give up the "offense wins games, defense wins championship" mantra.

Totally agree on the re-calibration of what a "good defense" is. If possessions per game jump, so will yards and points on both sides... even if you're Alabama. Points per possession should be what we watch as an indicator of defensive efficiency.

The offense can't just play fast, it has to be efficient. What happens when an up tempo offense fails to score points is what causes problems. The yards-a-palooza in UCF's last two games has much to do with the fact that all those offenses are extremely fast and very efficient. UCF's defense tackled in space pretty well in the games I saw. There were lots of wide receivers streaking open downfield, so there are definitely reasons to be concerned about NU's defense moving forward. But. there's also lots to be optimistic about. First and foremost, UCF defenders seemed to be having lots of fun in an attacking style. I personally think that style is better in the college game than bend don't break style. The best defenses in the college game right now tend to be ones that get after the quarterback like mad.

On the radio yesterday they talked how about Husker fans will need to re-calibrate how they define a good defense because of the quick strike offense. For example, total defense may not be as important as more specific stats, such as points allowed per possession. If follows that if TOP is down, opposing teams will have more time with the ball and likely more yards per game as a result. Looking at points allowed per possession may be a better indicator of how the defense is playing.
NU's emphasis will be on offense. I'm okay with that but it will be difficult for me to give up the "offense wins games, defense wins championship" mantra.

That mantra still holds.

I don't believe Frost will emphasize Offense over Defense. Pundits will. Some fans will. But he knows what it takes to win and he's coached and played both sides of the ball.

You will have to accept that Frost may very well field an excellent defense that has stats nowhere near some of the Blackshirt squads of yore. A fast strike offense definitely gives the other team more chances to score.

Also, Frost is hands on when it comes to defense. I've recently seen him compared to Tom Herman. Herman doesn't have a clue about defense. He has almost nothing to do with the defensive side at Texas. There is no comparison between the two. Frost is twice the coach Herman is.

That mantra still holds.

I don't believe Frost will emphasize Offense over Defense. Pundits will. Some fans will. But he knows what it takes to win and he's coached and played both sides of the ball.

You will have to accept that Frost may very well field an excellent defense that has stats nowhere near some of the Blackshirt squads of yore. A fast strike offense definitely gives the other team more chances to score.

Also, Frost is hands on when it comes to defense. I've recently seen him compared to Tom Herman. Herman doesn't have a clue about defense. He has almost nothing to do with the defensive side at Texas. There is no comparison between the two. Frost is twice the coach Herman is.
OSU and Houston disagree

You think he had anything to do with Houston's defense? He hired a DC and let him run it.

What does Texas think?
Nothing to do with Def....If what we saw at UCF and the Def then it tells me SF has a lot of work to do as well.
Texas? Just like Neb time will tell. I think TH has them back shortly.

Nothing to do with Def....If what we saw at UCF and the Def then it tells me SF has a lot of work to do as well.
Texas? Just like Neb time will tell. I think TH has them back shortly.
So you only watch the last tow UCF games? After the played 11 weeks in a row?

Let's leave out Texas, and just look at their resumes after their 2 year stints in the AAC:

Herman played college ball (WR) at Cal Lutheran. Frost played at Stanford and Nebraska under Bill Walsh and TO.

Herman didn't sniff the NFL. Frost played for 7 seasons under some of the all-time great coaches and has experience playing QB and Safety at the highest levels.

Herman was an offensive assistant (WR/QB/OC) in the college ranks for 12 years, never coached defense. Frost has been a successful OC as well as DC.

At his first HC gig, Herman took over an 8-5 team, then went 13-1 (+5/-4) then went 9-3 (+1/-2). Frost took over an 0-12 team and went 6-7 (+6/-5) and 12-0 (+12/-12).

It's not really even close.

So you only watch the last tow UCF games? After the played 11 weeks in a row?

Let's leave out Texas, and just look at their resumes after their 2 year stints in the AAC:

Herman played college ball (WR) at Cal Lutheran. Frost played at Stanford and Nebraska under Bill Walsh and TO.

Herman didn't sniff the NFL. Frost played for 7 seasons under some of the all-time great coaches and has experience playing QB and Safety at the highest levels.

Herman was an offensive assistant (WR/QB/OC) in the college ranks for 12 years, never coached defense. Frost has been a successful OC as well as DC.

At his first HC gig, Herman took over an 8-5 team, then went 13-1 (+5/-4) then went 9-3 (+1/-2). Frost took over an 0-12 team and went 6-7 (+6/-5) and 12-0 (+12/-12).

It's not really even close.

UCF was no interest to me until SF name came up. Their Def numbers are not all that impressive. All I said is if their Def is any indication of what we should expect it needs a lot of work. Off ...no question
Time will tell

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back