• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chatelain: With Scott Frost's new system, a culture war is coming to the Big Ten

• Thread starter Deleted member 3561
  • Start date

It's not that a spread offense means the defense is bad, but that the defense is on the field fir longer periods of time since the offense scores so quickly. The defense gets worn down due to having to go right back out after a quick score. Defensive depth is all important and injuries also take their toll.

I do get the logic. If you score too fast it's kind of like your offense going 3 and out, but with points!

But I'm going with the premise that the psychological advantage of knowing you have an offense that can score quickly can make a good defense better. I know Back in Scott's Day, all it took was a couple of scores of separation and those Blackshirts sensed the opportunity to crush their opponents will. That's the kind of 'unity of purpose' I think Scott is looking for. Both sides of the ball playing for each other.

1. Dirk thinks you’re a great hire.
2. Then Dirk thinks you’re a bad coach.
3. Then Dirk decides you should be fired.
4. Repeat.

It's not that a spread offense means the defense is bad, but that the defense is on the field fir longer periods of time since the offense scores so quickly. The defense gets worn down due to having to go right back out after a quick score. Defensive depth is all important and injuries also take their toll.

It’s not the spread and quick scoring concepts that are in issue. It’s the fast pace concepts and not scoring that are in issue.

I do get the logic. If you score too fast it's kind of like your offense going 3 and out, but with points!

But I'm going with the premise that the psychological advantage of knowing you have an offense that can score quickly can make a good defense better. I know Back in Scott's Day, all it took was a couple of scores of separation and those Blackshirts sensed the opportunity to crush their opponents will. That's the kind of 'unity of purpose' I think Scott is looking for. Both sides of the ball playing for each other.

I also believe having an O that can score allows more risk taking, thus the high takeway numbers at UCF

1. Dirk thinks you’re a great hire.
2. Then Dirk thinks you’re a bad coach.
3. Then Dirk decides you should be fired.
4. Repeat.
I tend to agree with him. Yes I think it's a great hire. But bringing his ucf d here isn't exactly wowing me. Their d wasn't very good plain and simple and he's just voicing his concern on that. That kind of d ain't gonna cut it in the B10.

Last edited:

Chatelain posted an article that basically implies with the Frost spread offense comes a questionable defense. He uses UCF and Oregon as examples.

With the high powered spread offense, I don't think the defense necessarily has to be bad. Urban Meyer's system seems similar to Frosts and usually his defenses, whether Ohio St or Florida, are pretty good. Ohio St is currently in the top ten for both defense and offense. Clemson also runs a variant of the spread and has a top ten defense.

So I reject Chatelain's thesis that a spread offense guarantees a bad defense. There's examples of teams who run spread offenses and have great defense. You just have to have the right guys in place. Whether or not Chinander can do that in Lincoln remains to be seen though.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_3bcd9c0c-d9ef-11e7-a687-6f766d309127.html
Leave it to Dirk to piss on a parade.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back