• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Charlie Strong-New Whorns coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

No splash hire for USC or Texas. But some here still think NU could get anyone they wanted.

Yep. Not surprising. That's exactly why Mora and Briles came out today and said they weren't interested. UT had already told them they weren't interested as they'd found their man.

Not the splash that I would have thought. I tend to think Wats moves to the HC position, I don't think he brings Joe in as OC, that would be a BIG jump for Joe. But then again, maybe Joe could be the OC in name with Wats calling most of the O, which would allow Joe to work into it, but that is a heck of a jump from GA to OC.

Better find a great QB I think Louisville is very mediocre without their qb. Amazing what one athlete can do to a guys resume.

Not the splash that I would have thought. I tend to think Wats moves to the HC position, I don't think he brings Joe in as OC, that would be a BIG jump for Joe. But then again, maybe Joe could be the OC in name with Wats calling most of the O, which would allow Joe to work into it, but that is a heck of a jump from GA to OC.

OC as Joes first college coaching job after being GA? Noooo! But I could see Joe getting a position coach job, maybe QB's and Special teams, (or something like that) :) I would like to see Joe get his first real gig. GL to him if it happens with Wats

Strong is a good hire, and a good coach. But, I don't see him having great success at UT because the culture and fan base at UT, at present, is completely out of whack. I think UT is secretly waiting for their Darrell Royal and Tom Landry clones to age.

Strong is a good hire, and a good coach. But, I don't see him having great success at UT because the culture and fan base at UT, at present, is completely out of whack. I think UT is secretly waiting for their Darrell Royal and Tom Landry clones to age.

Looks to me like they hit a homerun here. How does the fan base effect what the coaches do on the field? Splain that to me. Same thing for culture. I want to hear this.

Looks to me like they hit a homerun here. How does the fan base effect what the coaches do on the field? Splain that to me. Same thing for culture. I want to hear this.

Strong is an excellent coach, but he is not the homerun hire that the Texas fans and boosters were hoping for. Red McCombs, one of their big boosters, was still pushing for Jon Gruden a couple of days ago. It will be fun to hear the reaction of the fans over the next few days.

Strong is an excellent recruiter and will have a field day in Texass........... He needs to hit the ground running which i'm sure he will. I'd say the entire staff moves unless Wats gets the HC job? There's always a million loose ends to tie up so it will take a little time for CS to get Texass rolling. He's not being left chump change either.......... He'll need to find the QB Brown couldn't do since VY but my money says CS will be a big winner at Texass. Perhaps they could have done better but looking at potential candidates I think it was an excellent hire..............

I'd like to pat myself on the back for correctly predicting the new Schlonghorns coach - is there an emoticon for that? :Biggrin:

Strong is an excellent recruiter, but so was Mack. Mack's downfall was his inability to evaluate talent and allowing a country club entitlement culture to develop over the years. Charlie is young guy with a fire in his belly so I don't think he'll put up with a lot of bullcorn. He's proven to be a good coach, so if he's a better talent evaluator than Mack then this will be a homerun hire, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back