• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Charlie Brewer - Transfer Portal

I'd agree. I'm a bigger fan of AMart than most on here it appears, and that may stem from me knowing the gap between a healthy him and McCaffrey, Smothers, and Masker. But next year is basically going to make or break if Frost made the right decision sticking with him or not finding someone else.
I think you’re right on all counts. Obviously we’ve seen flashes from Martinez. But that’s something I’d prefer to say about a freshman or sophomore, not a three year starter. Everyone loves the kid, but do you want to hitch your wagon to him for another season? It’s a risky proposition. But I agree that the staff thinks he’s the trigger man for 2021.

I’m guessing because of COVID the answer is no, but have you had any opportunity to watch Smothers this year? I liked his high school film it I get the feeling you don’t have high hopes for him. What’s your take?

The problem is a healthy AM still isn’t that good come game day(the thing that matters). He’s got major issues between his ears.

The QB issue is really where Scott starts to lose me. I start to get pretty depressed when I think about how we are very likely just going to roll with what we have considering how 2020 has played out.

I honestly think AM's shoulder issue is a bigger issue than we know. It's been with him for years and I don't think it's going away. He might have stretches where it feels good, but just one wrong hit in practice or a game and he is impaired enough to go from a very good QB to average or poor. The point being that history shows his recurring shoulder problems have really hurt us in a lot of games.

I honestly think AM's shoulder issue is a bigger issue than we know. It's been with him for years and I don't think it's going away. He might have stretches where it feels good, but just one wrong hit in practice or a game and he is impaired enough to go from a very good QB to average or poor. The point being that history shows his recurring shoulder problems have really hurt us in a lot of games.
That may be. If we roll with 2AM then we need to modify our offensive philosophy for 2021. Run heavy with short passes to play makers who can get big yards after the catch, and a healthy mix of play action deep balls to keep a defense honest. Even if he’s not highly accurate on all the deep balls we can still hit an occasional big play, and the threat keeps safeties from spending too much time in the box. We have the payers to do it. Question is, will the staff make that adjustment?

You’re not wrong, but it’s still less of an issue than it was last year.

All of the issues in a vacuum by themselves are serviceable. AM is dealing with a shoulder issue this year, although we wouldn’t know it by how they speak about but it’s not affecting his play severely (yet).

The problem is the compounding of all of these issues: AM shoulder, WR’s failing to get consistent separation, poor o-line blocking at times, lack of running game, etc.

All of these issues are okay by themself, but when you start stacking them, you see the product we’ve seen this year. The upside is, the coaches aren’t wrong. We aren’t as far off as our record indicates, but at some point it’s on them to find ways to fix those issues so it shows.

Charlie is off the board, he announced he is transferring to Utah.

Did we even inquire???
The Utes are winning the portal. They also got the former Whorn QB. I'm guessing we didn't inquire. We would have gone after Milton if we were going to go after someone.

Last edited:
Charlie is off the board, he announced he is transferring to Utah.

Did we even inquire???
Did we inquire? Probably not.

Maybe we will find another QB we like better in the Portal. As it stands right now, unless Smothers makes major progress, we will enter next year with just one QB who is capable of winning more than a few games. And that one QB has yet to even go .500 in his first three seasons as a starter. Having no viable back-up next year is absolutely reckless due to AM's inconsistency and the chance that he gets injured. I love McCaffrey's athleticism, but I just don't see him as a viable full-time QB at this level.

We do need help. I have no confidence V is developing the talent he has. My opinion is that AM ruined his confidence playing hurt last year.

This team needs a QB who can make the throws with consistency. I don't think AM or LM are it. Maybe Smothers or Haarberg or someone else young and coming is . . . but Frost should get a transfer like this kid. I think you have to take your chances with chemistry.

But I'm kind of thinking Frost will stick to his own cooking. Which may, ultimately, be his downfall if one of his QBs can't run the passing game required.
I agree we need to bring in someone to compete immediately. I’m not completely out on Martinez but we agree on this. I honestly don’t think it would hurt chemistry. All these kids came here believing Martinez would be the starter through next season anyway. It doesn’t seem to change the timetable for them playing. Smothers and Luke both knew they where projects. So I really don’t get people thinking it’s a problem.

I'm curious your thoughts...

Do you think the staff has to decide if AM is the guy, and if he is, they can't bring someone else in to try and win the job? Or do you think they should figure out if he has the tools to be what they need and if they come to the conclusion he isn't, bring this guy in?

Just curious.
I know you didn’t ask me but I’ll still give my answer. I believe if there’s no one better than AM out there you leave it alone. I also believe AM is mature enough to be told hey we need a second option. We have three losing seasons. Martinez is a smart kid and I think would understand that. What I’ve seen out of MCcaffery leads me to believe he’s not even a backup. So if Smothers isn’t ready don’t we need another QB?

I know you didn’t ask me but I’ll still give my answer. I believe if there’s no one better than AM out there you leave it alone. I also believe AM is mature enough to be told hey we need a second option. We have three losing seasons. Martinez is a smart kid and I think would understand that. What I’ve seen out of MCcaffery leads me to believe he’s not even a backup. So if Smothers isn’t ready don’t we need another QB?
I think there's three issues with that though:

1) You are taking a gamble on how good someone is before you bring them in. Even Milton you have no idea how he is after that awful injury. So if you gamble and bring him in, and he's not as good as you think (i'm only bringing someone in if they can be my starter), your room is a bit disrupted.

2) The disruption occurs not with Martinez, but with McCaffrey and Smothers who you have laid out a clear plan to.

3) I think since Martinez is coming back, you wait, because no one goes in the portal wanting to wait. I think next year is a real possibility though.

I think there's three issues with that though:

1) You are taking a gamble on how good someone is before you bring them in. Even Milton you have no idea how he is after that awful injury. So if you gamble and bring him in, and he's not as good as you think (i'm only bringing someone in if they can be my starter), your room is a bit disrupted.

2) The disruption occurs not with Martinez, but with McCaffrey and Smothers who you have laid out a clear plan to.

3) I think since Martinez is coming back, you wait, because no one goes in the portal wanting to wait. I think next year is a real possibility though.
I can understand that thought process. I definitely wouldn’t bring anyone in unless they where in my opinion better than AM. I think Martinez is better than what we’ve seen. I am worried about his injury history. I just don’t believe Luke is a QB. Hopefully I’m wrong.

I'd agree. I'm a bigger fan of AMart than most on here it appears, and that may stem from me knowing the gap between a healthy him and McCaffrey, Smothers, and Masker. But next year is basically going to make or break if Frost made the right decision sticking with him or not finding someone else.
AM has had an injury his Senior year in High school and every year at DONU.

To bet Scott's and DONU future on a "healthy" AM is just unbelievable given his past :(.

If you have any maturity as a coach you have to over look his talent and look at his ability to stay on the field as they only way AM has value to Scott's offense is as a passing and running QB.

The latter means that his potential for injuries will always be high, particularly with his past injuries.

Conclusion: You have to go get another QB for 2021 that is of proven ability as you KNOW AM will not be able to perform for the whole season, his track record confirms that fact......

GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back