• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can we please stop calling it NIL?

Disagree. The collective, is a collection of money from you, me, and any dog who wants to contribute, most of which, DON’T OWN BUSINESSES. Someone else decides who gets what. That’s, ‘give me some money, or I’m not coming’. Nothing to do with NIL.

The collective "is" the business.

When you donate money to United Way or the Salvation Army you don't get to stipulate which people they hire. In the same way, people can donate money to the non-profit collective, which, in turn decides how they will spend the money. This includes endorsement deals.

It's no different than part of your ASPCA dollars going to pay Sarah McLachlan's royalties for that tear-jerker song. Yes, you're donating to help end puppy mills, but the ASPCA is within their rights to use a portion of the money for advertising, endorsements, royalties, and so forth.

In the case of these college NIL collectives, they probably use 90% of donation funds for these endorsement deals. The remaining 10% goes to overhead, staff salaries, etc.

It's all very legal.

I also understand your frustration about how it's all affected the sport of college football. That's a reasonable gripe. But it's not like they're funneling hookers and cocaine to players under the table. This isn't the SWC or Miami. Uncle Sam has realized they can get a cut if they allow this structure to exist and simply tax the players' income.

When you donate money to United Way or the Salvation Army you don't get to stipulate which people they hire. In the same way, people can donate money to the non-profit collective, which, in turn decides how they will spend the money. This includes endorsement deals.

It's no different than part of your ASPCA dollars going to pay Sarah McLachlan's royalties for that tear-jerker song. Yes, you're donating to help end puppy mills, but the ASPCA is within their rights to use a portion of the money for advertising, endorsements, royalties, and so forth.

In the case of these college NIL collectives, they probably use 90% of donation funds for these endorsement deals. The remaining 10% goes to overhead, staff salaries, etc.

It's all very legal.

I also understand your frustration about how it's all affected the sport of college football. That's a reasonable gripe. But it's not like they're funneling hookers and cocaine to players under the table. This isn't the SWC or Miami. Uncle Sam has realized they can get a cut if they allow this structure to exist and simply tax the players' income.
Don't forget free shoes

It's all very legal.

I understand all of what you’re saying. I get it. I still do NOT believe most of these kids are doing much of anything for it. Not all, but most. How much are you going to pay me if I come? Also, how many businesses are in that collective? Also, why are fans paying for those businesses? Seriously, how many businesses are in that collective, 1890? Or, is 1890 sending all 500+ athletes out to work? The players aren’t endorsing anything for Joe Smith. I mean, tons of questions that are NOT answered. Those players aren’t endorsing squat oftentimes, and most know as much. In the end, it is definitely pay for play, or I’m not coming.

I understand all of what you’re saying. I get it. I still do NOT believe most of these kids are doing much of anything for it.
What are you talking about? NIL isn’t about doing much. It’s about somebody else doing something to use their name image and likeness. They simply have to agree to it.

If they were supposed to “do something” then it would be pay for play as you suggest. Certain amount of touchdowns or tackles. Becoming a starter or catching a certain amount of passes.

You can’t argue its pay for play and also argue they don’t have to do anything for it. That’s a contradicting statement. Your whole position on this is upside down.

What are you talking about? NIL isn’t about doing much. It’s about somebody else doing something to use their name image and likeness. They simply have to agree to it.

If they were supposed to “do something” then it would be pay for play as you suggest. Certain amount of touchdowns or tackles. Becoming a starter or catching a certain amount of passes.

You can’t argue its pay for play and also argue they don’t have to do anything for it. That’s a contradicting statement. Your whole position on this is upside down.
Ummm, they are playing for pay. That’s there ‘job’ now. It absolutely is pay for play.

Ummm, they are playing for pay. That’s there ‘job’ now. It absolutely is pay for play.
Well I guess if you want to make up your own definitions. Most of the world believes getting paid for your name, image and likeness before you ever play a down is NIL rather than pay for play but you are entitled to push false narratives.

The brand Nebraska Cornhuskers never plays a match, a game a set or event.
Yet you have to pay for that brand if you yourself wish to make monies from it.
And potentially even if you don't.

Last edited:
Well I guess if you want to make up your own definitions. Most of the world believes getting paid for your name, image and likeness before you ever play a down is NIL rather than pay for play but you are entitled to push false narratives.
Incorrect. I have first hand knowledge of what goes on at OSU, i’ve got a few inside connections there, here, locally. One OU player, formerly played for OSU, Trace Ford, has an 8 min segment on the radio during last season every Thursday at 8:50. I’ve not seen Ollie Gordon on one thing, and he is getting 800k. He is nowhere to be found. Minimal anything. Get out of here with that. They are paid to come, and paid again to keep them, with very little NIL, if any, being done. Kaitlin Clark and Caleb Williams, that’s NIL.

Incorrect. I have first hand knowledge of what goes on at OSU, i’ve got a few inside connections there, here, locally. One OU player, formerly played for OSU, Trace Ford, has an 8 min segment on the radio during last season every Thursday at 8:50. I’ve not seen Ollie Gordon on one thing, and he is getting 800k. He is nowhere to be found. Minimal anything. Get out of here with that. They are paid to come, and paid again to keep them, with very little NIL, if any, being done. Kaitlin Clark and Caleb Williams, that’s NIL.
You keep complaining about them not doing anything. They don’t have too. Their name, image and likeness is doing it. That’s all that is required. That is NIL.

You keep complaining about them not doing anything. They don’t have too. Their name, image and likeness is doing it. That’s all that is required. That is NIL.
And you’re not listening, I’m not seeing much of any likeness, or image. Like I said, yes, a few are, but what about the other 500 athletes? You‘ve yet to answer that, and I get it, there isn’t an answer for it. You keep saying likeness, image. Where is all of it? It’s a straight up load of bull, so just say so.

And you’re not listening, I’m not seeing much of any likeness, or image. Like I said, yes, a few are, but what about the other 500 athletes? You‘ve yet to answer that, and I get it, there isn’t an answer for it. You keep saying likeness, image. Where is all of it? It’s a straight up load of bull, so just say so.
Do you see them on the field? Well that’s one example of their likeness. It can be anything. If their image brings value, and someone is willing to pay then that’s all that’s required. Some will get paid more for their name, image and likeness being used more. I’ve given you plenty examples. Why don’t you give me examples of someone getting paid for tds.

Do you see them on the field? Well that’s one example of their likeness. It can be anything. If their image brings value, and someone is willing to pay then that’s all that’s required. Some will get paid more for their name, image and likeness being used more. I’ve given you plenty examples. Why don’t you give me examples of someone getting paid for tds.
You just said it, on the field. That’s where the pay comes in, pay for play. I’ve given you 500 examples, you sidestep the question. Paid for their likeness? Get outta here with that nonsense. Yeah, maybe a handful or two, that’s it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back