• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Byes in tournaments are overrated unless there are injuries.

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
These guys don't need rest. They'll play tomorrow in an empty gym if you let them. You hang around changing your routine and someone in the field gets hot and you score 10 points in the first half trying to get your act together while they are blazing away with 40 or so.

Granted you don't have to get lucky in games as often if you play fewer of them, but I worry about going stale.

I couldn't disagree more. If you don't have a bye in the Big Ten tournament, you need to win five straight days in order to win the tournament. Even if (hypothetically) you had the talent to do it, that is an almost impossible task given the fatigue that you will suffer from playing so many days in a row. It would be huge for the Huskers to get a double bye. While I don't expect the Huskers to win the Big Ten tournament, only having to play at most three games would help their chances immeasurably.

Last edited:

2023 last year 2 of the 4 double bye teams lost.
2022 three of the four double bye teams lost.
2021 only one of the four double bye teams lost (and that was #4 losing to #5 seed).
2019 only one of the four double bye teams lost (#7 beat #2).
2018 two of the four double bye teams lost (including #4 NU losing to #5 Michigan)

Last edited:
2023 last year 2 of the 4 double bye teams lost.
2022 three of the four double bye teams lost.
2021 only one of the four double bye teams lost (and that was #4 losing to #5 seed).
2019 one one of the four double bye teams lost (#7 beat #2).
2018 two of the four double bye teams lost (including #4 NU losing to #5 Michigan)
The double bye protects you from a bad loss.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back