• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Burn the Boats

Ronznotes

Recruit
5 Year Member
I am as excited as the next guy to have Frost. This is not a anti-Frost in any way. I am giddy.

However, we must get behind him for the long haul. This is a burn the boats hire. The quote is from Cortez when he arrived in the new world and told his men to burn their ships -- a statement that said "there is no going back" and his men had no choice buy to in and make it work.

We have no choice. We have to make the Frost hire work. We have to support him, support his staff, accept his style and let him do it his way. The last 3 coaches have made that hard. Each had such glowing short-comings that we all hoped for some other ships to board, a way out, a way back to what we were.

Some with see this as a negative post or maybe preachy. Instead it is an attempt to remind us to look at the long term goal -- Frost is the only remaining chance for relevancy and respect.

I We have to support him, support his staff, accept his style and let him do it his way. The last 3 coaches have made that hard.

Its always good when everyone is behind he HC. For the good of the program, there were a lot of folks who stayed in Riley's corner at all times, even when results didn't always warrant it.

Given his Nebraska ties and what he has already accomplished as a HC, I think fans will find it quite easy to support Frost and give him a long leash...but you really can't burn the boats for anyone.

Last edited:
There are a lot of posts in this forum with people having high expectations. I'll be happy with an improved team on the field that plays with fire and going to a bowl game in the first year. First and foremost, this is a culture change and those don't happen overnight. I will be curious how long it will take the negative Nellies to come out. I'm taking the long term approach with Frost.

Last edited:
He gets a long rope but it doesn't make the Huskers above being criticized when it is warranted.
Absolutely true.

There are a lot of posts in this forum with people having high expectations.
I have high expectations, but then, I do every year. I will not be happy or feel that a 6 - 6, bowl eligible Husker team is a good season. After last years debacle, 8 wins would be a good year, and I think a reasonable expectation. Anything over 8 wins, will be a really good year. I know 10 wins during the reg season isn't necessarily realistic(it's possible, not likely, but possible) but hey, the Kool-Aid goes down easy in February.

It's fun and maddening to think about and discuss this, especially after last years less than fun season. GBR!!!!

Last edited:

There is no such thing as a burn-the-boats hire.

Support, support, support until they prove to you otherwise.

No such thing as a burn the boat hire.... I guess when I write this, I think "and who would we hire if we fire Frost" and what were our chances of extending the sell out streak without a hire with Frost's ties and splash.

I live in Texas and Nebraska lost relevancy down here quite a while ago.

Last edited:
Where there is demand, there's always a CHANCE. I'd just like to see it done in my lifetime. :Huskerflag:
You ain't just whistling Dixie bub. I'd like to see it before 2020, and then, be in the hunt for every year for decades.... That may not be realistic either, however....
giphy.gif

No such thing as a burn the boat hire.... I guess when I write this, I think "and who would we hire if we fire Frost" and what were our chances of extending the win streak without a hire with Frost's ties and splash.

I live in Texas and Nebraska lost relevancy down here quite a while ago.

So, to sum up you believe that if NU just so happens to go 2-10, 3-9, 2-10 and 3-9 in Frost's first 4 years, then NU cannot pull the plug because they cannot attract another nationally-sought-after coach with B1G money at their disposal?

Strolling through the hypothetical world here. We have to declare it because certain posters here can't tell the difference.

I'm anticipating that HCSF will be our coach as long as he wants to be our coach. That being said I suppose it would be possible for him and his staff to crash and burn, but it's highly unlikely IMHO. Will we be perennial NC contenders? I doubt it, but I think there will be enough winning that he will never be asked to leave.

“We're going to win so much. You're going to get tired of winning. you’re going to say, ‘Please coach Frost, I have a headache. Please, don't win so much. This is getting terrible.’ And I'm going to say, ‘No, we have to make Nebraska great again.’ You're gonna say, ‘Please.’ I said, ‘Nope, nope. We're gonna keep winning.’
:Usaflag::Cheer2::Koolaid2:

Last edited:

I am as excited as the next guy to have Frost. This is not a anti-Frost in any way. I am giddy.

However, we must get behind him for the long haul. This is a burn the boats hire. The quote is from Cortez when he arrived in the new world and told his men to burn their ships -- a statement that said "there is no going back" and his men had no choice buy to in and make it work.

We have no choice. We have to make the Frost hire work. We have to support him, support his staff, accept his style and let him do it his way. The last 3 coaches have made that hard. Each had such glowing short-comings that we all hoped for some other ships to board, a way out, a way back to what we were.

Some with see this as a negative post or maybe preachy. Instead it is an attempt to remind us to look at the long term goal -- Frost is the only remaining chance for relevancy and respect.

We don't need boats. Nebraska is land locked.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back