• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bruce Read Has Been Fired Effective Immediately.

I think it's a concern for right now, but he did well with Bryant. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Signing day is a ways away yet.

I think Davis has done a good job as a coach. IMO Terrell Newby developed more under his watch than he did with the previous staff. I think I heard that Devine Ozigbo was a guy that Charlton Warren found, but you can't really argue that Tre Bryant was a great class RB. Four-star kid who IMO has looked great the last couple games. I would be kind of concerned that December is right around the corner and Nebraska is still looking for its class RB - and they NEED one this year. When you are in position to really just bring in one stud a year (like Langsdorf with a class QB), you better do it. I'd be worried too like CPD924 is that Nebraska is playing from behind when it comes to a class RB.

When cotton couldn't go out on the road we were allowed to send a GA(Morrow). Are we allowed to send tavita out without promotion because we are a man short? If so he can go recruiting as the ultimate job interview

Very good point. If that's the case, maybe they do that while they Riley finds Read's replacement on the roster. This is the best time to do it since December is coaching carousel season and assistants are moving around. Put Tavita on the road while you find Read's replacement, then give Tavita the 10th asst. position when the NCAA passes it - which seems very likely.

The question in my mind is what happened to Read? He came in as the savior of the ST's but did nothing at all. How can someone that had so much previous success drizzle down his leg for 2 years.

The question in my mind is what happened to Read? He came in as the savior of the ST's but did nothing at all. How can someone that had so much previous success drizzle down his leg for 2 years.

I could be wrong, but for all his experience . . . I don't think Read's ST units ever were really all that great. So I think there was a lot of hope that he might bring good things--but I remember a ton of skepticism based on his track record.

Last edited:

Any capacity would do for me! Just get him here!
I cannot imagine why he would want to come here, other than to watch his son play. Maybe he is one of those guys that just wants to be around the game in any way he can help. I do believe, however, he will land another significant coaching position, somewhere.

--. .... - / -- .. .-.. . ... / .... .. --. .... / .- -. -.. / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. .. -. --. / ..-. .- ... -
--. .... - / -- .. .-.. . ... / .... .. --. .... / .- -. -.. / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. .. -. --. / ..-. .- ... ---. .... - / -- .. .-.. . ... / .... .. --. .... / .- -. -.. / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. .. -. --. / ..-. .- ... -

--. .... - / -- .. .-.. . ... / .... .. --. .... / .- -. -.. / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. .. -. --. / ..-. .- ... ---. .... - / -- .. .-.. . ... / .... .. --. .... / .- -. -.. / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. .. -. --. / ..-. .- ... -
you have no idea what you are doing

dog-ironing.jpg

Last edited:

A big question I have is what is the long term plan? The reality of it is HCMR probably will not be here in 5 years (because of age). He is currently one of the top 5 oldest in college football. When will we start seeing him grooming his predecessor? Will the next HC be hired from within? Don't get me wrong, I would have loved a different outcome in the last half of our season but I think HCMR is making improvements. I just think there are ways that a program can ensure they are not starting over when a new HC begins to surface. I truly believe in having 5 and 10 year plans.

Whoever Coach Riley chooses to deal with the special teams, I hope the decision is based on the expertise of that individual with regards to knowledge about coaching special teams rather than just appointing a different coach from the staff to fill the position. Special teams are the third leg of the three components of football.

Also, I don't know how much practice time is spent on special teams but perhaps that needs to be addressed as well.

One of my main concerns is having someone evaluate the punting. Punting is a highly developed skill, not just how far you can kick the football. Teaching that skill set is imperative for the successful field position game.

I think Davis has done a good job as a coach. IMO Terrell Newby developed more under his watch than he did with the previous staff. I think I heard that Devine Ozigbo was a guy that Charlton Warren found, but you can't really argue that Tre Bryant was a great class RB. Four-star kid who IMO has looked great the last couple games. I would be kind of concerned that December is right around the corner and Nebraska is still looking for its class RB - and they NEED one this year. When you are in position to really just bring in one stud a year (like Langsdorf with a class QB), you better do it. I'd be worried too like CPD924 is that Nebraska is playing from behind when it comes to a class RB.

I definitely think it's something to watch and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned a little. I guess for now I just have some faith that he'll find someone or he has one that he's working on. I'd hate to lose his coaching ability.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back