• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Breakout year!

I'm optimistic with regards to the Blackshirts. I think they can be a top 30 unit. I am optimistic that our OL, particularly at C, will be more consistent, which should help the entire offense. I am optimistic that our ST will look better than a JV Peewee team. I'm also optimistic that AM can have a solid year. He doesn't need to be spectacular, just solid, and I think he can be.

I remain really concerned about RB, because of the massive unknowns. I don't believe any Husker team will ever be really successful without a potent ground game, and I just don't see much there to wow me. I hope I'm wrong. We need to find running backs on the Abdullah/Burkhead/Helu tier. Even an Ozigbo would make me feel a lot better. We'll start to find out in a month.

WR is a gigantic question mark for me. I have no clue how i feel about them.

All of that being said, I always believe NU can win any game they're in.

GO BIG RED
That pretty much nails my exact feelings.

I am a realist. I anticipate the worst and am not surprised when it happens. I expected it to potentially happen. If it doesn’t I am excited to celebrate the moment.

I am a realist. I anticipate the worst and am not surprised when it happens. I expected it to potentially happen. If it doesn’t I am excited to celebrate the moment.
What you describe is not a realist. It is a person with a negative attitude. A realist says. "I see positive and negatives and hope for the best." Anticipating the worst is not a realist.

I’m excited to see what a much larger and more talented receiving corp can do and the potential of what Matt Lubick can achieve.

I am not excited about the OL and I think there is a decent probability they end up being a hot mess again.

I’m excited to see what a much larger and more talented receiving corp can do and the potential of what Matt Lubick can achieve.

I am not excited about the OL and I think there is a decent probability they end up being a hot mess again.

Agree on the receiver group. Lots of talent there, just need to turn that into production.

On the O line, I'm not sure what you're seeing that makes you think this will be a hot mess. I suspect you'll see some early goofs as Corcoran gets his feet under him and the group gels, but this will almost certainly be Frost's best line at Nebraska... by a lot...this year. Could be epic in years to come.

Agree on the receiver group. Lots of talent there, just need to turn that into production.

On the O line, I'm not sure what you're seeing that makes you think this will be a hot mess. I suspect you'll see some early goofs as Corcoran gets his feet under him and the group gels, but this will almost certainly be Frost's best line at Nebraska... by a lot...this year. Could be epic in years to come.

The OL lacks consistency. We will look great on a play then the next there will be inexcusable mistakes(see the last play of the Iowa game). I’ve seen more complete whiff blocks with our OL than I ever have on any Nebraska team. There are plays where several OL look completely lost and don’t get even a hand on anyone. At times our pass pro looks really undisciplined. Guys are not positioned properly to maintain a pocket. I understand we have a few new guys in the lineup but the guys who left went to the NFL. We’re more likely to see a dip from last year not an improvement.

Some of this may be coaching, and I suspect at least part of it is. But in my mind there’s a decent case for pessimism for the OL.

A decent example of the OL issues is this play. We literally don’t block the DL at the point of attack. That’s the first guy we should block. Piper doesn’t really do much of anything at all on this play. I get that we were young at spots but I don’t exactly trust the development capabilities of this coaching staff.

I'm optimistic because of the pieces in place, we don't need AM to be perfect. Just manage the game, distribute the ball to playmakers, and take care of the ball better. Do that and have even mildly better special teams, and this team can win 8 games. Now they have to go out and prove they can do that consistently.

The OL lacks consistency. We will look great on a play then the next there will be inexcusable mistakes(see the last play of the Iowa game). I’ve seen more complete whiff blocks with our OL than I ever have on any Nebraska team. There are plays where several OL look completely lost and don’t get even a hand on anyone. At times our pass pro looks really undisciplined. Guys are not positioned properly to maintain a pocket. I understand we have a few new guys in the lineup but the guys who left went to the NFL. We’re more likely to see a dip from last year not an improvement.

Some of this may be coaching, and I suspect at least part of it is. But in my mind there’s a decent case for pessimism for the OL.
I understand the criticism and don’t completely disagree. Remember we had three guys leave for the NFL off that defensive line two seasons ago. I argued they would improve with those guys departing. They definitely looked improved. I would make the same argument here. I wasn’t ever impressed with Farniok or our left tackle. I think the guys behind them are better but obviously I don’t know that yet. Farniok, Bernhardt, and Piper definitely whiffed a few times. Two of those guys where redshirt freshman so kind of understandable. People claimed Farniok would be a better guard but that never materialized.

I. LOVE. Kool-Aid. Season!

Pass the Kool-Aid!!

While some of us want to see results on the field. :thumbsup:

giphy.gif

I understand the criticism and don’t completely disagree. Remember we had three guys leave for the NFL off that defensive line two seasons ago. I argued they would improve with those guys departing. They definitely looked improved. I would make the same argument here. I wasn’t ever impressed with Farniok or our left tackle. I think the guys behind them are better but obviously I don’t know that yet. Farniok, Bernhardt, and Piper definitely whiffed a few times. Two of those guys where redshirt freshman so kind of understandable. People claimed Farniok would be a better guard but that never materialized.
You are correct in that we did get better last year on the DL in spite of losing guys to NFL so I guess that’s a good case for optimism. I’m getting antsy waiting for this all to play out. Week 0 can’t come soon enough.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back