• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bookie Radley-Hiles New 5-star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not to be a wet blanket but Bookie and Parsons aren't coming here.
Yes, I would be very surprised if either showed up on NU campus. Bookie, maybe! Parsons, not a chance. Although, if I were Frost, I would make a concerted effort to get either one, or both.

Literally no kid commits for those reasons other than a few locals whose lifelong dream it is to play here.

If this is accurate, then why do we see alums, with no local ties, who came from different parts of the country, carry loyalty and passion for their programs beyond coaching staff changes, offensive or defensive style changes?

I understand that the pomp and pageantry of years gone by might not be the top motivator for choosing a school for some recruits, but when you have a legend of the program talking to you about the brotherhood, about the history, it means something. When you see what alums have gone on to accomplish, be it on the football field or in other professional careers, that can be a hook. Do players go to Notre Dame just to play for Brian Kelly? Hardly, they go because it will open doors. The same can be said for Stanford, A&M, USC.

You sell every aspect of your program to every potential recruit. What they think is the most important factor in the fall can become the second or third most by National Signing Day.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Coaches aren’t going to make a lazy guy energetic, but players will cruise when allowed to. Not all, but far too many will enjoy the path of least resistance.
Agree... The respect and discipline instilled by a coaching staff will have a direct correlation to the players effort and attitude. Have seen it way too many times over the years in youth sports all the way up to professional sports.

Absolutely not. Coaches aren’t going to make a lazy guy energetic, but players will cruise when allowed to. Not all, but far too many will enjoy the path of least resistance.

I would guess that the players from the 60s through the 90s did not want to disappoint Devaney and Osborne. I see Frost as one of those coaches, players work there but off because they don’t want to disappoint their coach.

I would guess that the players from the 60s through the 90s did not want to disappoint Devaney and Osborne. I see Frost as one of those coaches, players work there but off because they don’t want to disappoint their coach.
Yes, but I know that TO absolutely had an environment that encouraged players to apply peer pressure. He might suggest he didn't like some of that, but he recognized the benefit of having players marshaling the herd. I saw it at parties when guys would get out of hand, and bars, and I know it was going on in the weightroom and during practice. I knew some of the guys who started off in Lincoln as recruits or walk-ons who didn't last because they weren't ready or willing to do the work. Some ended up at UNO, some at Kearney State, and some just went back to the farm. The ones I knew at Kearney used to laugh when people would ask them the differences...usually answered by 'no one is trying to kill you at practice or conditioning at Kearney'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back