• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bob Diaco to be named new Defensive Coordinator

d6aacfe5f2f0412d22bdfd82a24fa5cf.gif

"Nebraska has been trying to get back to the Big Ten championship game since 2012. Bob Elliott thinks Bob Diaco can help it get there as the new defensive coordinator."

"And how close Diaco thinks NU is to that goal, Elliott said, was a big reason why he listened to coach Mike Riley."

"Nebraska has been trying to get back to the Big Ten championship game since 2012. Bob Elliott thinks Bob Diaco can help it get there as the new defensive coordinator."

"And how close Diaco thinks NU is to that goal, Elliott said, was a big reason why he listened to coach Mike Riley."

I think this is the most intriguing hire for the Huskers in a long, long time.

In my recollection, its the first hire in maybe forever where we weren't forced to exclude many from consideration because they wanted significantly more than what we were currently paying. What a breath of fresh air if we're serious about having a top rated program.

In my recollection, its the first hire in maybe forever where we weren't forced to exclude many from consideration because they wanted significantly more than what we were currently paying. What a breath of fresh air if we're serious about having a top rated program.
That was never not the case.

I'm confused by the double negative. Are you saying that we traditionally didn't try to run the program on the cheap? Just my opinion, but I'd have to disagree if that's your argument.
NU absolutely does not run the program on the cheap. Please provide examples...

Can you name one candidate that you know was excluded from a coaching search due to money demands? Steve Pederson offered $2 million to Houston Nutt back in 2004 (Arkansas was paying him $750k per year), which would have put him in the top 5 highest paid coaches at the time. He turned it down and took $500k less to stay at Arkansas.

It's never been about money or seriousness to be a top program. It's more about Lincoln being a very tough place to win (or at least to win at the clip fans grew accustomed to in Tom's final 5 seasons) given recruiting difficulties.

Coaches also generally end up in States/regions where they have some roots - family and professional ties. Given NU's small population, there just aren't that many coaches with ties to the State.

Last edited:

Nu did not go into any of the previous coaching searches thinking "ok...we are willing to pay $x...who can we get for that money?" they got who they got then payed that individual what was necessary.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back