• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bo 'We're in on some really good guys, just fighting for them to put their hand up'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
I agree...some really good guys....:)

Speaking generally about Nebraska's recruiting, Husker coach Bo Pelini said during a Thursday radio interview with the Husker Sports Network that his coaches have been covering a lot of ground in the search for recruits.

"We're in on some really good guys, just fighting for them to put their hand up …" Pelini said. "It's a long process. We're doing a good job hitting the pavement, turning over rocks, and really fighting hard getting some guys to commit."

Bo said Carl Pelini's move to Florida Atlantic shouldn't hurt Nebraska from a numbers standpoint, noting that a team can have only seven coaches out on the road recruiting at a time anyway.

Read more: http://journalstar.com/sports/footb...5a0-54ee-af06-c94adfaf9533.html#ixzz1g5CHVTr4

I keep reading that Bo and his coaches have to do better because we are not nailing down the guys we want and losing some that we had nailed down. It's like saying run faster when you are running as fast as you can. Maybe Bo should find a key recruiter that can close the deals that has a track record. Not every good coach is a good recruiter and closer. It looks like Nebraska is getting killed in our new conference with the addition of Urban Meyer.
There is a opening for a top asst coach and there appears to be a glaring hole in our recruiting right now. Just saying, fill the need!
Too late for this year but recruiting won't get any better by it's self.

I keep reading that Bo and his coaches have to do better because we are not nailing down the guys we want and losing some that we had nailed down. It's like saying run faster when you are running as fast as you can. Maybe Bo should find a key recruiter that can close the deals that has a track record. Not every good coach is a good recruiter and closer. It looks like Nebraska is getting killed in our new conference with the addition of Urban Meyer.
There is a opening for a top asst coach and there appears to be a glaring hole in our recruiting right now. Just saying, fill the need!

We are doing just fine.....no need to get anyone else, we have some key recruits seriously considering us. Can't wait to hear the tune of people a month from now....

We are doing just fine.....no need to get anyone else, we have some key recruits seriously considering us. Can't wait to hear the tune of people a month from now....

Currently we are doing fine, but it's "tomorrow" that we have to look at as far as recruiting. Look at what UM is able to do in with recruiting and he hasn't had the job for a month yet. Going head to head with him to recruit B1G country would take someone whom is able to make it happen consistently. Not saying that we don't have guys on staff that aren't able to recognize a stud even before he get's his "stars" from the "pros", but we need some closers so that the "D. Jones" of the world don't become a religious action for us.

Last edited:

I think Michigan and Michigan State have the most to fear from Urban Meyer at this point. What exactly would that "glaring hole" be? As RR and others have said, we are in on some excellent recruits and have made a good impression on all of them both with on campus and inhome visits. I think this coaching staff is doing a great job recruiting.

Currently we are doing fine, but it's "tomorrow" that we have to look at as far as recruiting. Look at what UM is able to do in with recruiting and he hasn't had the job for a month yet. Going head to head with him to recruit B1G country would take someone whom is able to make it happen consistently. Not saying that we don't have guys on staff that aren't able to recognize a stud even before he get's his "stars" from the "pros", but we need some closers so that the "D. Jones" of the world don't become a religious action for us.

I really do hear what you are saying, but UM is recruiting to Ohio State, a place that has been relevant more than Nebraska in the kids that we are recruiting's memory. Any way you slice it, it is a tougher sell to recruit to Nebraska as opposed to USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, LSU, etc.

Bo is a closer. Papuchis is regarded by recruiting sites as a closer and a top-notch recruiter. Beck has serious ties in with Texas, something we need to keep (closed Burkhead and we have our QB for this class coming from there), Raymond is getting guys committed to LSU to come take a look at us, Ron Brown brings things to the table that can help us close recruits, etc.

I just think that we are in a lose-lose situation with peoples thinking at this point in the game. If we had a full class committed right now, 16 guys, 12 of whom were 4 stars and the rest 3 stars, people would still be saying "signing day is a long ways off, hope we can keep these guys" and with our current situation people think we can't recruit just because we don't have the commits.

I'll eat crow if i'm wrong, but people will be extremely pleased with what we pull in on signing day, just be patient. No need to go get a "recruiting guru" or "closer".

Yup +1...:)

I really do hear what you are saying, but UM is recruiting to Ohio State, a place that has been relevant more than Nebraska in the kids that we are recruiting's memory. Any way you slice it, it is a tougher sell to recruit to Nebraska as opposed to USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, LSU, etc.

Bo is a closer. Papuchis is regarded by recruiting sites as a closer and a top-notch recruiter. Beck has serious ties in with Texas, something we need to keep (closed Burkhead and we have our QB for this class coming from there), Raymond is getting guys committed to LSU to come take a look at us, Ron Brown brings things to the table that can help us close recruits, etc.

I just think that we are in a lose-lose situation with peoples thinking at this point in the game. If we had a full class committed right now, 16 guys, 12 of whom were 4 stars and the rest 3 stars, people would still be saying "signing day is a long ways off, hope we can keep these guys" and with our current situation people think we can't recruit just because we don't have the commits.

I'll eat crow if i'm wrong, but people will be extremely pleased with what we pull in on signing day, just be patient. No need to go get a "recruiting guru" or "closer".

I think Michigan and Michigan State have the most to fear from Urban Meyer at this point. What exactly would that "glaring hole" be? As RR and others have said, we are in on some excellent recruits and have made a good impression on all of them both with on campus and inhome visits. I think this coaching staff is doing a great job recruiting.

Ditto brah!

You might not consider this a "glaring hole" but this is pretty close. A nationally known recruiting service has the recruiting classes ranked like this:
#2 Mich 23 comits 1,943 pts, #13 Ohio St 13 comits, #19 ND 15 comits, #30 Wisc 12 comits, #38 Mich st 14 comits, #41 Penn st 13 comits and Nebr #43 8 comits and 596 pts

We've been over that Wolf a few times in the forum....its based on our small class....we wiill only take 16-17 kids this year.....I wouldn't pay too much attention to any rankings (Rivals by the way) for Nebraska this year....of our 8 commits already 6 of the 8 are rated as 4-stars by one or all of the three main recruiting services...this year its about quality not quanity....and quanity is what will get you up in these ratings....I'll take the quality and move on this year....we are lookign good....

You might not consider this a "glaring hole" but this is pretty close. A nationally known recruiting service has the recruiting classes ranked like this:
#2 Mich 23 comits 1,943 pts, #13 Ohio St 13 comits, #19 ND 15 comits, #30 Wisc 12 comits, #38 Mich st 14 comits, #41 Penn st 13 comits and Nebr #43 8 comits and 596 pts

These kinds of posts are getting extremely played-out.....

I would actually consider this very encouraging that we are even in the top50 right now, think of where we will be when we get twice as many commits as we already have....

How many times can one dead horse be beaten? Answer: apparently multiple....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back