• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Penguinis

I can't blame TO either. It looked like a great hire at the time, and I felt it was even several years into his tenure.

It's true that we were all pretty excited at Bo's hire.

Human widgets are fraught with unpredictable variability. Who knew that the Pelini widget would develop circuitry issues so soon into his service life. :wow:

Last edited:

I think one thing that is constantly lost on a lot of you guys on this forum as it relates to YSU... is the schedule that they play. The MVC is the SEC and then some for FCS football. There are legitimately 5 teams each season that think they can win a national title... They have been as a conference in the title game every year since 2011 (both representatives in 2014)... winning 6 of the 7.

People pointed to YSU being 6-5 last year... but the losses were to Pitt in OT (who later beat Miami), @ South Dakota by 3 on a last second FG (playoff team, final 16), ND State in OT (National Champ), Northern Iowa by 5 on the road (Playoff team, final 16), Illinois St by 35 (just missed playoffs). The last was loss was the big Bo hiccup but it came after playing 4 straight ranked opponents (3 of them top 10 team).

People think I am here trying to defend Bo... and I am as a football coach but I also follow and have followed the MVC very closely for a long time... its really tough. Nebraska last year might not have won the conference... just sayin...

Last edited:
I can't blame TO either. It looked like a great hire at the time, and I felt it was even several years into his tenure.
I agree I do believe it was the later years of AD involvement for Bo that was a contributing factor to the horrific end to his NUHC position. What was viewed as paronia feelings by Bo happened first due to his motivation tactics but when Eichorst started his input it gave truth to it and flamed Bo into devastating end.

I think one thing that is constantly lost on a lot of you guys on this forum as it relates to YSU... is the schedule that they play. The MVC is the SEC and then some for FCS football. There are legitimately 5 teams each season that think they can win a national title... They have been as a conference in the title game every year since 2011 (both representatives in 2014)... winning 6 of the 7.

People pointed to YSU being 6-5 last year... but the losses were to Pitt in OT (who later beat Miami), @ South Dakota by 3 on a last second FG (playoff team, final 16), ND State in OT (National Champ), Northern Iowa by 5 on the road (Playoff team, final 16), Illinois St by 35 (just missed playoffs). The last was loss was the big Bo hiccup but it came after playing 4 straight ranked opponents (3 of them top 10 team).

People think I am here trying to defend Bo... and I am as a football coach but I also follow and have followed the MVC very closely for a long time... its really tough. Nebraska last year might not have won the conference... just sayin...

Of course winning isn't easy. But Bo is alleged to be very good HC by some. A very good HC, years into his tenure, should not be having the results he is.

Nebraska last year wouldn't have won anything, anywhere.

I agree I do believe it was the later years of AD involvement for Bo that was a contributing factor to the horrific end to his NUHC position. What was viewed as paronia feelings by Bo happened first due to his motivation tactics but when Eichorst started his input it gave truth to it and flamed Bo into devastating end.

So now that we know Eichorst was a problem, how does the Pelini metric change if Eichorst never comes to Lincoln or is gassed prior to the Pelini-meltdown?

To be clear, I'm not saying it makes Pelini the second coming of To or Knute Rockne if a capable AD is hired instead of Eichorst, but I do think it changes the landscape dramatically.

Of course winning isn't easy. But Bo is alleged to be very good HC by some. A very good HC, years into his tenure, should not be having the results he is.

Nebraska last year wouldn't have won anything, anywhere.
He did take a team to the national title game.. is that just tiddlywinks?

I think Bo is a good football coach... the question about head coach is open to discussion but I know he was a heck of a lot better than the guy before and the guy after him @ Nebraska...

He did take a team to the national title game.. is that just tiddlywinks?

I think Bo is a good football coach... the question about head coach is open to discussion but I know he was a heck of a lot better than the guy before and the guy after him @ Nebraska...
He had a great season at YSU with an impressive playoff run. 1 great year accompanied by 3 mediocre years. And he starts this season with the worst loss Youngstown State has seen in a long time.

His overall record at YSU is 23-16. It will be 23-17 after this weekend. He is not heading to the FBS as a HC with those results.

He had a great season at YSU with an impressive playoff run. 1 great year accompanied by 3 mediocre years. And he starts this season with the worst loss Youngstown State has seen in a long time.

His overall record at YSU is 23-16. It will be 23-17 after this weekend. He is not heading to the FBS as a HC with those results.
take out the FBS losses and losses to ND State the years the won the national title.... they just should not count when evaluating what he as done @ YSU

23-11... 68% winning will get you lots of jobs at the FBS level.. Dan Mullen is 70-46... now the HC at Florida. Conference strength matters.

Last edited:
take out the FBS losses and losses to ND State the years the won the national title.... they just should not count when evaluating what he as done @ YSU

23-11... 68% winning will get you lots of jobs at the FBS level.. Dan Mullen is 70-46... now the HC at Florida. Conference strength matters.
If you take out losses to excuse Bo's record, then there are also multiple wins against bad teams that you should take out as well.

If you take out losses to excuse Bo's record, then there are also multiple wins against bad teams that you should take out as well.
FBS is a different level and is treated as such... Bo has never played a D2 school at YSU as far as I am ware.

You can throw the NDSU losses back on and he still has a better winning% than Mullen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back