• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Biggest Problem: Defense

What problem with defense? They all earned Blackshirts, they must be playing like the Wistrom/Peter led defenses of the past...
upload_2018-10-24_20-22-2.png

But Chin's defense last year was #94 with an undefeated team and a much easier schedule.

No need to throw anyone under the bus yet but lets not pretend he has a glowing pedigree either.
One thing I think you are missing. When you run a fast paced offense, where a long drive might score a touchdown using well under 2 minutes on the clock. Defensive numbers will be skewed just based on the TOP. We could out score a team by 30 and still lose the TOP by 5 or more minutes. Look at this last week for example. We won by 25 and still lost TOP by 2 minutes. That is hard on a defense. No one running the style of offense we are is going to put up top 10 defense numbers unless they are VERY deep. Mainly because their defense even on a winning day will be on the field a long time. If we do a three and out it may use less than a minute of clock time.

One thing I think you are missing. When you run a fast paced offense, where a long drive might score a touchdown using well under 2 minutes on the clock. Defensive numbers will be skewed just based on the TOP. We could out score a team by 30 and still lose the TOP by 5 or more minutes. Look at this last week for example. We won by 25 and still lost TOP by 2 minutes. That is hard on a defense. No one running the style of offense we are is going to put up top 10 defense numbers unless they are VERY deep. Mainly because their defense even on a winning day will be on the field a long time. If we do a three and out it may use less than a minute of clock time.
There is a big difference between a top 10 defense and a defense in the 90s. And we see opposing receivers running wide open and pass rushers getting nowhere in the 1st quarter before our defense should have been wore down.

Chin has time to make the defense into something it should be but its nowhere close right now.

There is a big difference between a top 10 defense and a defense in the 90s. And we see opposing receivers running wide open and pass rushers getting nowhere in the 1st quarter before our defense should have been wore down.

Chin has time to make the defense into something it should be but its nowhere close right now.
I do not disagree with anything you are saying here. My point is that the Defense will be on the field too long to put up 90s type numbers. Give a team enough chances and they will eventually score. 90s NE teams almost never lost TOP. We usually dominated it so the defense never got tired.

I do agree though that this year is not where we want the D to be. We are missing a big pass rusher. If we can get one or two good pressure guys. I think we become a top 50 D. Changing nothing else.

I do not disagree with anything you are saying here. My point is that the Defense will be on the field too long to put up 90s type numbers. Give a team enough chances and they will eventually score. 90s NE teams almost never lost TOP. We usually dominated it so the defense never got tired.

I do agree though that this year is not where we want the D to be. We are missing a big pass rusher. If we can get one or two good pressure guys. I think we become a top 50 D. Changing nothing else.
If Nebraska has a top 50 defense, they will be tough to beat.

WE need a monster defensive guy to disrupt the opposing offense. A guy that can be anywhere on the line at any time. Of course Suh type players only come along once in a blue moon. Defenses always take time especially after 3 years of smiling mike.

The days of Blackshirts shutting out or holding opponent to no more than 10-14 points won't happen under Scott Frost. By design, it's all about the offense and just enough big plays by the D to give offense the opportunity to outscore the opponent. So other than getting more playmakers (what program doesn't want that?),what we're seeing is what we'll get.

As SF said after MN win, "we got a couple of stops when it mattered. Really that’s what a defense is...You’re going to give up some plays, but if you can find a way to make one or two plays and make a stop, it changes the game. We did that enough times today to get our offense back the ball.

This weeks Bethune-Cookman game might be the last time you ever see our opponent being held to a low score.

Last edited:

Completely agree...... we don't need a LIGHTS OUT D but rather one that can hold offense to 25 or even 30 points. HCSF offense is designed to put up a lot of points... quickly! The way the team is being designed is quick score and keep scoring. The D simply needs to make several 3 and outs while our offense piles on more points. I'd love to see a rock ribbed defense like days of old but that's NOT going to happen.

BTW the rules are such they GREATLY favor offenses now. Just 1 alleged targeting and one of your best defenders is tossed. Look at the QB wrong, accidentally touch QB's helmet while he's passing... and bingo you have a roughing the passer.

All of those rule changes present a huge challenge to coaches and players. Ultimately it means more scoring and less defensive tight games.

Last edited:
I see no talent guy has shifted from this team has no talent to the Defense has no talent. Probably won't see any Ozigbo doesn't have speed threads for a while.

I agree with this. However we don't have top 50 talent right now. Chin probably needs some grow up also. He's a young coach with a left over poor defense that had some screwed up coaching in the past. Everyone......and I mean everyone......knew the defense was going to be a weak link for the first couple of years. No reason for anyone to get too worked up after 7 games when offense has had some struggles, we have had too many penalties, mental mistakes and yes.....coaching mistakes too. We all wanted this team to get better as the season went along and they are doing that. We just didn't expect the bar so low to start.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back