• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big XII to formally explore adding expansion teams

I think you might be confusing BTN payments with total payments for all rights packages. The BTN isn't as wildly profitable as people think it is. It distributed about $1 million to each school in 2014-15. http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2015/07/16/btn-profits-increase-big-ten-revenue/30226149/ The lion's share of the projected TV payments will come from the T1/T2 Fox and ESPN deals.

Like the BTN, the LHN is a Tier 3 rights package, so ESPN is basically paying UT $15 million per year to televise its 2 worst games. That's a guaranteed payment regardless of profitability and ESPN covers 100% of the production costs. It's the best T3 rights deal in the nation. For comparison, NBC pays Notre Dame $15 million annually for all their games. UT also gets ~$24 million for their T1/T2 rights as part of the Big 12's TV deals, so their take is closer to $40 million.

That said, I agree with you that even $15 million per year isn't worth blowing up a conference, and Texas couldn't even touch Big Ten TV money as an independent.

I need to see all these payouts in a graphical format. I'm a visual learner.

I think UCF is out of the running. Oh well.
You know my position on this. No Florida school should ever waste their time with the Big 12 and Texas, especially when the ACC and SEC are real possibilities in the near future with 16 team conferences being bandied about.

You know my position on this. No Florida school should ever waste their time with the Big 12 and Texas, especially when the ACC and SEC are real possibilities in the near future with 16 team conferences being bandied about.

The problem for Florida schools is that they'll never escape the Big 3's shadow. The SEC has been pretty adamant that they don't want to double down in the existing footprint, since USF/UCF gives them nothing additional that the Gators don't already bring to the table. Same is probably true in the ACC, where they would still be 3rd Fiddle behind the Canes and Noles.

Right now, the Power 5 is really a Titan Two (SEC, B1G) and Other Three. No team would leave either conference, but I believe that the SEC or B1G could easily poach more teams from the Power 5. In fact, aside from Rutgers, ALL of the SEC and B1G expansion has been from other P5 conferences (Neb, Mizz, A&M, Maryland). The ACC has somewhat protected themselves with their insane Grant of Rights, but as Maryland showed, contracts can be re-negotiated.

The SEC has no need of more Florida schools, so I expect the Big XII to be the easier target for a raid, and then the ACC. If the SEC had their druthers, I think they'd snatch North Carolina and Virginia Tech, but I can't see that happening realistically.

Even if the Big XII manages to grow to 16 teams, they're still vulnerable and the other conferences could create a Power 4 by snatching away Oklahoma and Texas (and maybe the Jayhawks have a shot elsewhere due to hoops).

Colorado St would actually be a great choice. It would bring back the Denver market (CSU is at least as popular here in Denver as CU), they have very good basketball and volleyball programs, and they are currently building a new football stadium.

IMO, it would be idiotic to invite Houston into the B12 when they already have the Texas market. Why would UT, TT, Baylor, TCU want another Texas school that they would not have a recruiting angle that trumps Houston's? I also don't see a school like Memphis adding much to the conference on a competitive, recruiting, or national impact. To gain some kind of positive impact IMO, the B12 needs to get both or either Central Florida and South Florida Universities. Those gain both new regional areas and great recruiting areas to get into. Then, perhaps Cincy(or Louisville) and BYU, as they are better known, consistent football teams. That's what I would want if I was another B12 program. I just don't understand why they would want Houston. I don't even think Houston is that great of a team, especially once Herman gets a better offer. Whenever the coach there gets another Power 5 offer, they typically leave so they will continue to be a stepping stone to other schools.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back