• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big XII to formally explore adding expansion teams

CSU would be a good choice. BYU would be good for the conference but I'm not sure they give up their independence for the Big 12. The mountain west is the most likely conference to steal from. Would Colorado go back? Maybe an ACC team?
What would CSU bring to the table? The Denver TV market maybe? BYU would stop, drop and roll if they got an invite ... the best for them and B12 might be a football-only invite.

There is no one else in the MWC to steal from ... different time zone, no attractive TV markets, no national names (Boise State is not national).

ACC has a better TV deal right now the B12 ... no one in their right mind would leave.

Colorado and mizzou I'm guessing.

I honestly think he made it up. At best, a couple of admins or coaches said something friendly like "we miss the Big 12" over a beer at media days - more in a friendly, reminiscent way than a "Bill, if you can help us get back in the B12, we'd like back in."

IMO, every team that left landed in a better spot academically, athletically and financially than the current B12.

Read a post elsewhere about the Big Ten just putting a nail in the XII's coffin and taking Oklahoma and Texas. I've said it before, but Texas is losing out big time. Their stubborn attitudes about the Longhorn Network will freaking sink them. Case in point, UT makes about $15m off the LHN annually. Compare that to doormats like Indiana and Purdue who are set to make ~$50m annually by 2018.

Let that sink in. Indiana makes 3x more TV football money than Texas.

Of course UT has a gazillion other revenue streams, but the ACC just inked a deal as well, and the SEC and PAC both have solid networks. Someone with half a brain needs to get into power in Austin and realize that their stupid politicking is going to leave them out in the cold.

As a Husker fan, I personally don't care if Texas falls off the side of the earth, but it's a bit hilarious that the softbrains down there can't figure out what practically every CFB fan gets. If UT wants a future at the CFB table, they're gonna have to join a real conference or abandon their stranglehold on the Big XII. Either way it starts with scrapping the failed LHN.

UCF/USF would bring a huge TV market.

Scott Frost would feel right at home...

I'm not sure a large media market gets you much when there isn't a profitable conference network. ESPN/Fox aren't going to pay significantly more to the Big 12 to add an inventory of UCF games. That said, I think the Big 12 would love to have an easier path to Florida recruits. Being able to offer some games close to home is a big selling point.

I'm not sure a large media market gets you much when there isn't a profitable conference network. ESPN/Fox aren't going to pay significantly more to the Big 12 to add an inventory of UCF games. That said, I think the Big 12 would love to have an easier path to Florida recruits. Being able to offer some games close to home is a big selling point.

Bingo. The reason that Maryland and Rutgers were such a windfall was that the BTN was already running and making piles of money. The terms of the deal are such that the BTN gets a bigger cut of subscriber fees when the subscriber lives in the footprint. In other words, the BTN makes a higher percentage off you guys living in Lincoln than they make off me in Oregon. I'm not in the footprint of the league.

Adding UMD/RU gave the Big Ten a MASSIVE footprint in the Baltimore/DC market and up through the corridor into Philly and NYC/NJ Metro. It's not that either program is so amazingly successful, but can you fathom how many fans of Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, etc., live in that New England area? It's maddening and now the BTN gets a much bigger chunk of money for every one of those people who subscribe.

Hell, the sheer number of regional bars buying BTN alone for the Big Ten basketball tourney and ensuing March Madness is probably worth it alone.

A couple of thoughts come from this statement of intent by the Big 12, along with the announcement of the extension of the ACC GoR and ACC network.

With the ACC announcement, those teams are essentially off the table for any potential re-alignment. This means if the B1G wants to expand further, they will likely need to look west. Could this potentially incite the B1G to reach out to KS and OK to move to 16 in a preemptive maneuver? Sure the GoR is a problem, but no-one has shown willingness to attempt to fight over that.. yet. There might be a first time.

Houston is an attractive option, but it's in Texas, and there's no gain in terms of TV for another team in Texas. I've also read that Houston is talking to the PAC, though I am sure they're talking to anyone who is listening. The PAC will likely also be prompted to at least look at adding up to two teams as a result of this, and they could do worse than to at least get one, if not two from Texas. Call me crazy, but I think Houston eventually goes PAC.

For just the Big 12, I think the Big 12 needs to go big or go home. With the current situation and contract with ESPN/FOX having the automatic increases with expansion up to 14, I would easily see them going to at least 14. I could potentially see them going all the way to 16 if they can convince the incoming teams to take the smallest possible portion of the revenue as a sort of "buy in" to the conference.

I'd see them looking at East/West type divisions, with at least two schools from Texas in each division. Locked Crossover with a cross division rival, mostly to keep the RRR intact.

West East
Oklahoma Texas
Oklahoma St Iowa St
Boise State TCU
BYU West Virginia
Kansas Kansas State
Baylor Cincinatti
Texas Tech Centaral Florida

Gives each team a minimum of 2 games in Texas.. and gets this up to 14 teams, with fairly balanced divisions. If they go to 16, add South Florida and Colorado State.

Read a post elsewhere about the Big Ten just putting a nail in the XII's coffin and taking Oklahoma and Texas. I've said it before, but Texas is losing out big time. Their stubborn attitudes about the Longhorn Network will freaking sink them. Case in point, UT makes about $15m off the LHN annually. Compare that to doormats like Indiana and Purdue who are set to make ~$50m annually by 2018.

Of course UT has a gazillion other revenue streams, but the ACC just inked a deal as well, and the SEC and PAC both have solid networks. Someone with half a brain needs to get into power in Austin and realize that their stupid politicking is going to leave them out in the cold.

As a Husker fan, I personally don't care if Texas falls off the side of the earth, but it's a bit hilarious that the softbrains down there can't figure out what practically every CFB fan gets. If UT wants a future at the CFB table, they're gonna have to join a real conference or abandon their stranglehold on the Big XII. Either way it starts with scrapping the failed LHN.

As much as I'd love to have a shot at redemption against Texas, they're a poison to every conference they join. Maybe it would work out in the B1G since Ohio State is the big money leader and wouldn't take Texas' crap.

I think you might be confusing BTN payments with total payments for all rights packages. The BTN isn't as wildly profitable as people think it is. It distributed about $1 million to each school in 2014-15. http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2015/07/16/btn-profits-increase-big-ten-revenue/30226149/ The lion's share of the projected TV payments will come from the T1/T2 Fox and ESPN deals.

Like the BTN, the LHN is a Tier 3 rights package, so ESPN is basically paying UT $15 million per year to televise its 2 worst games. That's a guaranteed payment regardless of profitability and ESPN covers 100% of the production costs. It's the best T3 rights deal in the nation. For comparison, NBC pays Notre Dame $15 million annually for all their games. UT also gets ~$24 million for their T1/T2 rights as part of the Big 12's TV deals, so their take is closer to $40 million.

That said, I agree with you that even $15 million per year isn't worth blowing up a conference, and Texas couldn't even touch Big Ten TV money as an independent.

Last edited:
Not that I know anything, but Boise St would love to join the Big 12, and they would actually be a pretty good fit. They would compete very well in a lot of sports not just football. There Mens and Womans BB teams are pretty good and compete for MW championships each year. They have wrestling, and a top 25 womens gymnastics program. They also have a solid volleyball program. They are really committed to putting out a good product in all sports and the have a really nice campus and facilites.

Just my 2 cents.

See that UT is pushing for Houston to get picked up by the Big 12. Obviously a great fit for the conference but find it odd that Texas is pushing for that. Why would they want just another team to have to seriously contend with for recruits in their own backyard? Plus, makes it that much easier for UT to pluck Tom Herman away from them if they are still a non P5 school.

-As for Snyders remarks... I think he might just be losing his marbles. Not a chance in hell that Nebraska regrets their decision to move to the B1G.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back