• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best Non-Title Team

Which Non-Title Winning Husker Team was the Best?

Votes: 11 15.5%

Votes: 2 2.8%

Votes: 7 9.9%

Votes: 41 57.7%

Votes: 10 14.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr.Bennett

Recruit
2 Year Member
Who ya got?

1999 - 12-1. Final AP Rank, #3, All Americans - M. Brown, R. Brown Scoring: For, 34 Against, 13.2
Fumbled 43 times against Texas in the only loss on the season.

1996 - 11-2 . Rank #6, All Americans - A. Taylor, G. Wistrom Scoring: For, 42.5 Against, 13.4
Crapped the bed against ASU, our Texas Misery began when 8/5ths of the team got the flu.

1993 - 11-1. Rank #3, All American -Trev Alberts Scoring: For, 36.4 Against, 16.2
Refuse to lose. A couple close calls in the regular season. B1G Ten uses the Orange Bowl game tape as a "How To" guide for ref training.

1983 - 12-1 Rank #2. All Americans - M. Rozier, D. Steinkuhler, I. Fryar Scoring: For, 50.3 Against, 16.7
Scoring Explosion. Fryar forgot how to catch at an inopportune time.

1982 -12-1 Rank #3. All Americans - M. Rozier, D Remington Scoring: For, 39.5 Against, 12.8
Same offensive guys as the 83 squad, better defense. The '93 Orange Bowl used the '82 Penn State game tape as a "How To" guide for ref training.

1972 - 9-2-1 Rank #4. All Americans - J. Rodgers, D White, W Harper, R. Glover Scoring: For, 41.6 Against, 8.1
The start of Sooner Magic? Amazing stat, this team did not win a game in when the opponent scored more than 10 points.

1965 - 10-1 Rank #5 All Americans - F White, W Barnes, T Jeter Scoring: For, 31.8 Against, 11.7
First Husker team to be ranked #1 in the AP poll. Lost to 'Bama in the de-facto title game.

My vote is for '99. One of the greatest D's of all time. One fumble away from total domination.

Tied for second: 1993, '83, '82. 1982 & '83 are pretty much interchangeable. Those teams closed out an era where defense was mostly an afterthought, made up of guys who weren't good enough to play offense (with some notable exceptions). 1982, '83, and '93 were definitely the "unfinished business" teams; each one one play away from an undefeated NC.

The '93 team was so close. The '94 Orange Bowl and the '82 PSU game were the only two games that I would legitimately say the refs stole from us -- at least until 2010 and joining the B1G in 2011 (I can't think of a game since where ONE call made all the difference, though there have been plenty where the refs seemed biased against us the whole game).

I can't really speak to '65 or '72. Too many losses in '72. In 1965 we were a contender who wasn't really "there" yet. i.e. it's easier to challenge the champion than to defend the championship. One of those cases where we thought we were championship caliber, until we played the champion.

The 1983 Scoring Explosion was a great offensive team. However, the defense was lacking mightily in the bowl game against a team that could air it out and keep you off balanced.

That is why I went with the 1999 team since I feel they were a better “overall” team. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
My vote is for '99. One of the greatest D's of all time. One fumble away from total domination.

Tied for second: 1993, '83, '82. 1982 & '83 are pretty much interchangeable. Those teams closed out an era where defense was mostly an afterthought, made up of guys who weren't good enough to play offense (with some notable exceptions). 1982, '83, and '93 were definitely the "unfinished business" teams; each one one play away from an undefeated NC.

The '93 team was so close. The '94 Orange Bowl and the '82 PSU game were the only two games that I would legitimately say the refs stole from us -- at least until 2010 and joining the B1G in 2011 (I can't think of a game since where ONE call made all the difference, though there have been plenty where the refs seemed biased against us the whole game).

I can't really speak to '65 or '72. Too many losses in '72. In 1965 we were a contender who wasn't really "there" yet. i.e. it's easier to challenge the champion than to defend the championship. One of those cases where we thought we were championship caliber, until we played the champion.

Hope you and Steph are doing well…think about both of you often.

@Mr.Bennett …not trying to derail your thread as I really like the topic.

Last edited:

@Elwood von Kiowa. I went back and watched that FSU game a year or so ago, and it was shocking how bad the refs were, both ways. Missed spots, bad catch/no catch rules, questionable penalties, and of course, the two biggies us Husker fans remember. I don't even think the refs were biased (if they were they wouldn't have put one second on the clock for the field goal attempt), I just think they were over their heads bad. That said, missed calls went both ways, but they hurt us WAAAAAAAAY more.

I'm going to break the teams into tiers:

Tier 4: I don't know - 1965. Way before my time and the polls were so different back then.

Tier 3: What the heck happened here? - 1972.
Rodgers, Glover, Humm, dominate defense, Devaney talked into one more year to try for three in a row, what went wrong? Opening game loss to UCLA in the Rose Bowl. Ugh. The loss to OU shouldn't have happened, but hey, Sooner Magic. The tie to Iowa State? ISU was ranked at the time, but they finished 5-6. Oof. All time talented team, could beat anyone in one game - could also lose to anyone.

Tier 2: Could have won the title, but probably weren't the best team - 1993, 1996, and 1999

The '99 squad had a great defense but the offense was flawed. More than just the fumble issue, our line didn't dominate the way they used to. The YPG from that team was actually the 2nd lowest (ahead of only 1998) since Osborne took over. Kinda like the '93 squad, we played with fire a lot. A missed 34 yard FG as time expired to beat unranked CU, 2nd half rally to beat 3-5 KU by 7, need 2 defensive TDs to beat S Miss. A good team, but probably weren't better than FSU.

'93 team, boy they were fun. One of the first squads I can actually remember. I cried when FSU beat us. It was a crazy year, us playing a weak schedule and pulling multiple games out by the skin of our teeth. FSU dominating everyone but us and ND. ND crapping the bed against BC. Auburn (everyone forgets them) running the table but being on probation. If we play FSU 10 times we probably win 3 of them. Shame the refs robbed us of one of the three.

'96 - personally, of the three 90's teams this was the best, and easily the most talented. We were done in by injuries/sickness (Green, Benning, Evans), one bad SF game, and personal demons (hopefully Terrell is still doing well).

Tier 1: Could have won the title, were probably the best team - 1982, 1983

83 burned soooo bright. But the D has flaws and the team struggled to beat average OU (Texas, ranked #2 for most of the year, had a much easier time with the Sooners) and OSU squads. The schedule was also real week, PSU (who we spanked) was the only ranked team we played before Miami.

In 82 the offense wasn't quite as good as the 83 squad,(although adding Remington and Craig to the mix got them in shouting distance), but the defense was much better. Want some bowl game chaos? If the Happy Valley Refs would have had a spine (or glasses) and allowed us to win the PSU game, Bowl Season that year would have featured three unbeaten teams, us, Georgia, and SMU, all locked into bowl games and unable to play each other.

You make me choose, I'm going to go with 82.

Last edited:
@Elwood von Kiowa. I went back and watched that FSU game a year or so ago, and it was shocking how bad the refs were, both ways. Missed spots, bad catch/no catch rules, questionable penalties, and of course, the two biggies us Husker fans remember. I don't even think the refs were biased (if they were they wouldn't have put one second on the clock for the field goal attempt), I just think they were over their heads bad. That said, missed calls went both ways, but they hurt us WAAAAAAAAY more.
I should have said, "officiating cost us the game" rather than "refs stole from us."

1983 has so many intangibles around it that it's hard not to pick them. Even non-Husker fans remember that game and Osborne's giant brass balls. It was really the beginning of Nebraska dominance throughout the next 15-20 years.

Not that Devaney's teams weren't dominant in their own right, but 1983 was like a big homecoming party for a new era of Huskers - teams that were just pure faster, stronger and better than the competition in all three phases of the game.

Tier 4: I don't know - 1965. Way before my time and the polls were so different back then.

Rodgers, Glover, Humm, dominate defense, Devaney talked into one more year to try for three in a row, what went wrong? The loss to USC was understandable - they are considered an all time great team in their own right. The loss to OU shouldn't have happened, but hey, Sooner Magic. The tie to Iowa State? ISU was ranked at the time, but they finished 5-6. Oof

Tier 2: Could have won the title, but probably weren't the best team - 1993, 1996, and 1999

The '99 squad had a great defense but the offense was flawed. More than just the fumble issue, our line didn't dominate the way they used to. The YPG from that team was actually the 2nd lowest (ahead of only 1998) since Osborne took over. Kinda like the '93 squad, we played with fire a lot. A missed 34 yard FG as time expired to beat unranked CU, 2nd half rally to beat 3-5 KU by 7, need 2 defensive TDs to beat S Miss. A good team, but probably weren't better than FSU.

'93 team, boy they were fun. One of the first squads I can actually remember. I cried when FSU beat us. It was a crazy year, us playing a weak schedule and pulling multiple games out by the skin of our teeth. FSU dominating everyone but us and ND. ND crapping the bed against BC. Auburn (everyone forgets them) running the table but being on probation. If we play FSU 10 times we probably win 3 of them. Shame the refs robbed us of one of the three.

'96 - personally, of the three 90's teams this was the best, and easily the most talented. We were done in by injuries/sickness (Green, Benning, Evans), one bad SF game, and personal demons (hopefully Terrell is still doing well).

Tier 1: Could have one the title, were probably the best team - 1982, 1983

83 burned soooo bright. But the D has flaws and the team struggled to beat average OU (Texas, ranked #2 for most of the year, had a much easier time with the Sooners) and OSU squads. The schedule was also real week, PSU (who we spanked) was the only ranked team we played before Miami.

In 82 the offense wasn't quite as good as the 83 squad,(although adding Remington and Craig to the mix got them in shouting distance), but the defense was much better. Want some bowl game chaos? If the Happy Valley Refs would have had a spine (or glasses) and allowed us to win the PSU game, Bowl Season that year would have featured three unbeaten teams, us, Georgia, and SMU, all locked into bowl games and unable to play each other.

This post and the OP are both top notch. Great synopsises (is that even a word?) and explanations.

:Clap:

Rodgers, Glover, Humm, dominate defense, Devaney talked into one more year to try for three in a row, what went wrong? The loss to USC was understandable - they are considered an all time great team in their own right. The loss to OU shouldn't have happened, but hey, Sooner Magic. The tie to Iowa State? ISU was ranked at the time, but they finished 5-6. Oof

Pal the 21st century huskers have put me in “tiers “

I would have to go back and look at '99 a little closer. My initial impression is that team would have won it all if given the shot against FSU. And it wasn't on the field as much as VA. Tech taking away our shot.

The CU let up is probably what cost us. We had a dominating lead and impressive win in the bag going into the 4th and blew a 24 point 4th quarter lead. We won the game in OT, but that killed any chance.

GET TICKETS

Back