• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Best guess at staff recruiting regions

Status
Not open for further replies.

I look at Warren's relationships in Georgia as a big advantage when we recruit there. Same with Garrison, we had an advantage when he walked into KC schools.

Without those relationships in the Midwest, we will essentially be operating without that advantage, and sometimes will be at a disadvantage when other schools competing for the same player already have a connection. I'm with you guys, not necessarily concerned, but recruiting will be harder in the 500 mile radius than it would have been if we had hired someone with established connections. Like RR said, it will get easier as time goes on.

The NCAA is pretty much toothless these days and the reporters who they relied onto the expose pieces that led to them investigating schools are in a new media environment where that just does not happen much anymore....compounding the organizations over-site.....

As an aside Riley had a great relationship with HS coaches in Oregon.....expect him to build same here in Nebraska.....
I hear ya, but that was two decades of work, not sure we have that kind of time with Riley...

It takes time to have a coach trust that you are going to take care of his player and send him your way. That's why we may have more Cali kids for the 2016 class. That's where the trust was built that left with previous guys like Garrison and Cotton...

Last edited:
The NFL ties are going to help make it easier too.....kids want to play in the 'show' and that along with recruiting practices that rely on integrity and honesty as MR is known for will help.....and yeah we will have to build relationships in the 50 mile radius....

MR like I said had a great relationship in Oregon with the HS coaches....he gets it and what needs to be done....and with the resources he has now he must be like a a kid in a candy shop....:)

I look at Warren's relationships in Georgia as a big advantage when we recruit there. Same with Garrison, we had an advantage when he walked into KC schools.

Without those relationships in the Midwest, we will essentially be operating without that advantage, and sometimes will be at a disadvantage when other schools competing for the same player already have a connection. I'm with you guys, not necessarily concerned, but recruiting will be harder in the 500 mile radius than it would have been if we had hired someone with established connections. Like RR said, it will get easier as time goes on.

Oh I know....what I have seen of MR thus far on the trail I think we can build it fast....

But yeah CA and TX will be big recruiting grounds for us too as OSU had built deep roots into both states.....and it helps to still have the Edna Kerr pipe line too....

I hear ya, but that was two decades of work, not sure we have that kind of time with Riley...

It takes time to have a coach trust that you are going to take care of his player and send him your way. That's why we may have more Cali kids for the 2016 class. That's where the trust was built that left with previous guys like Garrison and Cotton...

A few points, since my posts in progress almost always get deleted when the page fails and reloads...

1. The NFL shtick has not "sold" well here. Skeptical that it will be a huge boost. The recruits that believe that message are usually marginal, either from a talent or personality standpoint. You aren't really playing for the "N" if you are actually playing for the "NFL" to "get yours."

2. Our staff recruiting territories are a big old donut now with the hole centered over our 500-mile radius and our conference footprint and a big bite out of the Atlantic coast. That is a BIG mistake, IMO. We need someone with bonafide ties and relationships in our area. The only suggestion I have is for Riley to assign each staffer a different state in our conference/radius to work in addition to the other areas of strength, but no guarantee that will work (see 4).

3. Not many west coast games on our future schedules. Heavy emphasis on CA, west coast, will have diminishing returns due to distance. Same thing happened in TX in the conference move. Yes, we will still get some recruits, but there is a large subset that will be unavailable/uninterested due to distance. The CA to NE move is not an easy one to sell, IMO.

4. West Coast is a different "sell" than SE, NE, rust belt, etc.. Personalities are different. Success in one region doesn't necessarily project to success in another. Warren was a smart hire, in this respect, but by and large the staff is far too "west-centric" for my taste.

A few points, since my posts in progress almost always get deleted when the page fails and reloads...

1. The NFL shtick has not "sold" well here. Skeptical that it will be a huge boost. The recruits that believe that message are usually marginal, either from a talent or personality standpoint. You aren't really playing for the "N" if you are actually playing for the "NFL" to "get yours."

2. Our staff recruiting territories are a big old donut now with the hole centered over our 500-mile radius and our conference footprint and a big bite out of the Atlantic coast. That is a BIG mistake, IMO. We need someone with bonafide ties and relationships in our area. The only suggestion I have is for Riley to assign each staffer a different state in our conference/radius to work in addition to the other areas of strength, but no guarantee that will work (see 4).

3. Not many west coast games on our future schedules. Heavy emphasis on CA, west coast, will have diminishing returns due to distance. Same thing happened in TX in the conference move. Yes, we will still get some recruits, but there is a large subset that will be unavailable/uninterested due to distance. The CA to NE move is not an easy one to sell, IMO.

4. West Coast is a different "sell" than SE, NE, rust belt, etc.. Personalities are different. Success in one region doesn't necessarily project to success in another. Warren was a smart hire, in this respect, but by and large the staff is far too "west-centric" for my taste.

I share your hesitation to say they will blow it out of the water on the recruiting trail. I do feel the lack of relationships may hurt for awhile. But it's not something they can't overcome.

The good news is, a ton of people in Nebraska and surrounding recruiting hot beds are very eager to meet them. It's like a new sales rep in a territory for the hot product. If they do it right, you can capitalize on people letting you in the door that sometimes may not...

Obviously this is just a guess, as where Oregon State or where they came from had different areas that they could hit realistically. But this is a run down of where our coaches may be most familiar... Very preliminary, as none of them really have ties to KC or StL, but we can't neglect those areas... Also, if a recruit that is at their position is out of their area, obviously they will go there to recruit said student-athlete... Here is where those coaches have pulled a majority of their commits from in the past:

HANK HUGHES
Northeast, more specifically Pennsylvania and New York (where he was born)...

BRUCE READ
California...

MIKE CAVANAUGH
Mostly will hit Arizona... This used to be a very fertile recruiting ground for us, and his first task will be Garrett Rand along with Hank Hughes...

MARK BANKER
This is an important piece of our puzzle, he has hit up Hawaii in the past. My friend at USC swears to me that between Banker and our new S&C coach Mark Phillip we will be bringing in a couple samoan linemen every year... Fonoti and Raiola come to mind...

TRENT BRAY
He hasn't been at it long, but it appears Texas could be somewhere he has a focus on... Also, with Ferguson out of Louisiana he could make some relationships there...

CHARLTON WARREN
Obviously Georgia will be a staple for him, and you hope he stays recruiting Colorado as well. Where the wild card comes into play is Florida, he has been helping there, and Florida is a significant place to recruit for us...

DANNY LANGSDORF
Washington state... Also looks like he did some work in Oklahoma as well... It appears this guy could be a very good recruiter for Nebraska...

REGGIE DAVIS
California and probably will help with Texas...

So a few things here... Obviously our staff has a deep connection in California and Oregon, we will get our fair share of kids from there. The problem is logistics. Recruiting a Florida kid, you can have him on a 7AM plane to come on an official visit to Lincoln and it is only 6AM in Nebraska at that time, takes a 3 hour flight, gets there and shuttled down to Lincoln, he's still there roughly an hour before kickoff. For California kids, you take that 7AM flight, it's already 9AM in Nebraska before they even get on the plane, and it's tough to make those earlier kickoffs. Now, this year, we should have a few more night games to help out. But it's a big reason why recruiting the east coast is something the old staff loved Charlton Warren for. And he is still here.

The second concern, is that Nebraska, KC, and Chicago are all ripe for the picking. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that we aren't going to be recruiting those areas, but our coaches don't know them as well as our previous staff. Garrison got us in with Marquise Doherty, Monte Harrison, Nick Ramirez, Evan Boehm, and pulled in Zach Hannon from Kansas City. He targeted Dan Voltz, Aaron Bailey, Ethan Pocic, Dewayne Hendricks, Justin Jackson, Jamacro Jones, and pulled in Vincent Valentine, Jordan Westerkamp, Matt Finnin, Tanner Farmer, and Mikale Wilbon from the Chicago area. Garrison played for the Huskers and grew up in KC and had good ties in Illinois. We are losing a valuable asset on the recruiting trail here. Say what you want about our line play, but he was a huge part of our presence in KC and he was locking up that area for some of the better prospects. Think about the Davis twins, he's the reason we got in so early on them and knew about them before anyone else did. Kaz and the Husker ties helped solidify that, but the point remains...

Again, a few things that concern me are the regions we are recruiting, and losing people with relationships in close local areas, but it will be interesting to see how Riley attacks next year since we will have a full class and then some with attrition... I say you get in on JUCOs for 2016 right now... You go offer almost every freshmen all-American in the JUCO ranks. I believe Iowa Western has a WR and a LB that were All-Americans as freshmen this year... But it's going to be cool to see where we are pulling people from, are we spread all over the country? Is there a certain region we hit hard? I bet we will be more spread out than in years past which is really saying something, since our coaches are all coming from over 1000 miles away...

*** I have beat up a lot of negative people on this board. However, let me just say this is one of the best most informative displays of how to present potentially negative information I have ever seen. Great job. Great read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back