• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Best guess at staff recruiting regions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously this is just a guess, as where Oregon State or where they came from had different areas that they could hit realistically. But this is a run down of where our coaches may be most familiar... Very preliminary, as none of them really have ties to KC or StL, but we can't neglect those areas... Also, if a recruit that is at their position is out of their area, obviously they will go there to recruit said student-athlete... Here is where those coaches have pulled a majority of their commits from in the past:

HANK HUGHES
Northeast, more specifically Pennsylvania and New York (where he was born)...

BRUCE READ
California...

MIKE CAVANAUGH
Mostly will hit Arizona... This used to be a very fertile recruiting ground for us, and his first task will be Garrett Rand along with Hank Hughes...

MARK BANKER
This is an important piece of our puzzle, he has hit up Hawaii in the past. My friend at USC swears to me that between Banker and our new S&C coach Mark Phillip we will be bringing in a couple samoan linemen every year... Fonoti and Raiola come to mind...

TRENT BRAY
He hasn't been at it long, but it appears Texas could be somewhere he has a focus on... Also, with Ferguson out of Louisiana he could make some relationships there...

CHARLTON WARREN
Obviously Georgia will be a staple for him, and you hope he stays recruiting Colorado as well. Where the wild card comes into play is Florida, he has been helping there, and Florida is a significant place to recruit for us...

DANNY LANGSDORF
Washington state... Also looks like he did some work in Oklahoma as well... It appears this guy could be a very good recruiter for Nebraska...

REGGIE DAVIS
California and probably will help with Texas...

So a few things here... Obviously our staff has a deep connection in California and Oregon, we will get our fair share of kids from there. The problem is logistics. Recruiting a Florida kid, you can have him on a 7AM plane to come on an official visit to Lincoln and it is only 6AM in Nebraska at that time, takes a 3 hour flight, gets there and shuttled down to Lincoln, he's still there roughly an hour before kickoff. For California kids, you take that 7AM flight, it's already 9AM in Nebraska before they even get on the plane, and it's tough to make those earlier kickoffs. Now, this year, we should have a few more night games to help out. But it's a big reason why recruiting the east coast is something the old staff loved Charlton Warren for. And he is still here.

The second concern, is that Nebraska, KC, and Chicago are all ripe for the picking. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that we aren't going to be recruiting those areas, but our coaches don't know them as well as our previous staff. Garrison got us in with Marquise Doherty, Monte Harrison, Nick Ramirez, Evan Boehm, and pulled in Zach Hannon from Kansas City. He targeted Dan Voltz, Aaron Bailey, Ethan Pocic, Dewayne Hendricks, Justin Jackson, Jamacro Jones, and pulled in Vincent Valentine, Jordan Westerkamp, Matt Finnin, Tanner Farmer, and Mikale Wilbon from the Chicago area. Garrison played for the Huskers and grew up in KC and had good ties in Illinois. We are losing a valuable asset on the recruiting trail here. Say what you want about our line play, but he was a huge part of our presence in KC and he was locking up that area for some of the better prospects. Think about the Davis twins, he's the reason we got in so early on them and knew about them before anyone else did. Kaz and the Husker ties helped solidify that, but the point remains...

Again, a few things that concern me are the regions we are recruiting, and losing people with relationships in close local areas, but it will be interesting to see how Riley attacks next year since we will have a full class and then some with attrition... I say you get in on JUCOs for 2016 right now... You go offer almost every freshmen all-American in the JUCO ranks. I believe Iowa Western has a WR and a LB that were All-Americans as freshmen this year... But it's going to be cool to see where we are pulling people from, are we spread all over the country? Is there a certain region we hit hard? I bet we will be more spread out than in years past which is really saying something, since our coaches are all coming from over 1000 miles away...

Last edited:

It seems to be a bit thin in Midwest and Florida ties, but if they can turn the heat up in Texas and Arizona, that would be huge.

It seems to be a bit thin in Midwest and Florida ties, but if they can turn the heat up in Texas and Arizona, that would be huge.

That's really my only concern. But I also understand that we are getting a staff with deep connections to the west coast after being there for a decade, so I know why that is. It's just that relationships have to be resurrected from basically nothing right now...

It's not always a bad thing tho, if you read this article, sounds like high school coaches weren't exactly thrilled with how things were going and maybe a change can help:

m.omaha.com/eedition/iowa/articles/high-school-coaches-hoping-in-state-offers-will-increase-with/article_72f535c4-e822-54fa-9c99-6e38c230393d.html?mode=jqm

That article brings me back to when Oklahoma State saw Daishons film for the first time and asked how far back Nebraska offered and how late to the party they were. A central coach had to inform them that he wasn't sure if Nebraska knew about Daishon yet because they haven't contacted him. "THEY DONT KNOW ABOUT HIM?!? Alright, don't call them, I'll talk to Gundy and we will be back with you shortly."

Last edited:

Maybe a GA with Nebraska ties or someone like Stai could help. I know they couldn't go on the road but at least make contact with the HS coach and get it set up- i would love to see the GA's have a more local flavor.

How much can the recruiting staff help with ties to a specific area and is there a limit on number of resources that can be hired there? As an example, could you hire ppl on the staff, not coaches, with ties to Kansas City that would help with building relationships going forward?

That seems to me where we could have a big edge in innovative thinking. Riley has to know that while it may not be where you get your blue chip prospects every year, the surrounding midwestern region should have Nebraska as their top brand

How much can the recruiting staff help with ties to a specific area and is there a limit on number of resources that can be hired there? As an example, could you hire ppl on the staff, not coaches, with ties to Kansas City that would help with building relationships going forward?

That seems to me where we could have a big edge in innovative thinking. Riley has to know that while it may not be where you get your blue chip prospects every year, the surrounding midwestern region should have Nebraska as their top brand

There's a really good chance I'll get this wrong, but I believe you can have as many people on the staff from a logistical standpoint (breaking down film, scouring for prospects, organizational stuff) but there is a limit as to how many people on the staff can actually make contact and build relationships with coaches.
If I'm wrong, pretend I never typed this. :)

As experienced as this staff is and as good of recruiters as they are, I suspect they will have little to no issue building relationships in the 500 mile radius...i.e. the Davis family was very impressed with MR.....

You can't undersell how important experience is not to mention the NFL ties we now have which will get us in a lot of homes.....

I'm honestly not concerned in the least.....

And I agree with N2FL TX will become a big focal point again.....

Oh and they had/have deep ties with JUCO schools too.....

There's a really good chance I'll get this wrong, but I believe you can have as many people on the staff from a logistical standpoint (breaking down film, scouring for prospects, organizational stuff) but there is a limit as to how many people on the staff can actually make contact and build relationships with coaches.
If I'm wrong, pretend I never typed this. :)

You got it pretty much right, you can have as many staff in the recruiting office as you want. Breaking down film, getting contact info, getting ahold of coaches. Where it gets fuzzy, is you can only have 9 coaches on the road recruiting, and there are rules about how many times the HC can visit people. The bigger your recruiting support staff, the wider you can spread your wings. So getting a support staff guy that is local can be huge. Having a guy that maybe played ball in Lincoln or Omaha for high school, maybe someone out west as well to help. Then you get a few guys with ties to regions of great interest. These are the ones that can dig up names, gauge interest of a player, etc. The player really gets excited when an actual paid coach gets ahold of them though. But it's a good way to see the excitement level if someone he doesn't know is contacting him and he's still promptly getting back to you...

Where I'm fuzzy, is I know recruiting staff can reach out to coaches, no limit there. But is there a limit to the amount of people that can actually reach out to recruits thru phone or social media? I don't believe there to be, I think on the road and in-person contact is limited to the coaches on the payroll. But in terms of facebook messages, twitter, instagram, etc., we can have anyone get ahold of these guys...

As experienced as this staff is and as good of recruiters as they are, I suspect they will have little to no issue building relationships in the 500 mile radius...i.e. the Davis family was very impressed with MR.....

You can't undersell how important experience is not to mention the NFL ties we now have which will get us in a lot of homes.....

I'm honestly not concerned in the least.....

And I agree with N2FL TX will become a big focal point again.....

Oh and they had/have deep ties with JUCO schools too.....

This is true, but these guys walking into a school to speak with a coach is way different than Garrison doing it in KC who most remember when he played against them. Or Barney doing it in Nebraska...

I don't think concerned is the right word for me, but I'm intrigued by how it's handled as well as received...

As an aside Riley had a great relationship with HS coaches in Oregon.....expect him to build same here in Nebraska.....

In the short run they will have to build relationships......in the long run I think we will be fine......and in some cases we already have them built.....i.e. Lawton, OK.....

I like intrigued better.......I'm with you on that.....:)

This is true, but these guys walking into a school to speak with a coach is way different than Garrison doing it in KC who most remember when he played against them. Or Barney doing it in Nebraska...

I don't think concerned is the right word for me, but I'm intrigued by how it's handled as well as received...

You got it pretty much right, you can have as many staff in the recruiting office as you want. Breaking down film, getting contact info, getting ahold of coaches. Where it gets fuzzy, is you can only have 9 coaches on the road recruiting, and there are rules about how many times the HC can visit people. The bigger your recruiting support staff, the wider you can spread your wings. So getting a support staff guy that is local can be huge. Having a guy that maybe played ball in Lincoln or Omaha for high school, maybe someone out west as well to help. Then you get a few guys with ties to regions of great interest. These are the ones that can dig up names, gauge interest of a player, etc. The player really gets excited when an actual paid coach gets ahold of them though. But it's a good way to see the excitement level if someone he doesn't know is contacting him and he's still promptly getting back to you...

Where I'm fuzzy, is I know recruiting staff can reach out to coaches, no limit there. But is there a limit to the amount of people that can actually reach out to recruits thru phone or social media? I don't believe there to be, I think on the road and in-person contact is limited to the coaches on the payroll. But in terms of facebook messages, twitter, instagram, etc., we can have anyone get ahold of these guys...

Wow, that's a loophole that the NCAA probably needs to close quickly.....

Wow, that's a loophole that the NCAA probably needs to close quickly.....

They tried but basically know that it's too big of an area to try and patrol with a limited staff...

It's one of the reasons there's no contact limit thru social media or phones during the dead period...

Last edited:

They tried but basically know that it's too big of an area to try and patrol with a limited staff...

It's one of the reasons there's no contact limit thru social media or phones during the dead period...

I know a lot of kids love the attention, but I can't imagine what it's like to be a top level recruit. Annoying would be an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back