• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best Experience in an Opponent's Stadium

OkSU in '93, on a Thursday night when Barron Miles took the punt off the punter's foot. Then Eskimo Joe's and street drinking afterwards.

OU in '96. Nothing special, but always treated well in the state of Oklahoma. Sadly, those were the only opponents' stadiums I had been to in to Big 8/12. Although I went to a couple B12 CCG's -- last one in 2010, and the ice bowl at Arrowhead in '06. I've lived in Georgia the past 3.5 years and I'm still thawing out from that one.

ND in 2000 definite cool. Red out, CFB HOF and all the other festivities before and after.

Rose Bowl. Definitely not the game, but all the pregame festivities.

But Stillwater was the best. Maybe that was because I was young and dumb...

Although I have never been to an away game, I remember hearing that Wisconsin fans were horrible the first game we had in Madison as a B1G member. The following year, the Badgers came to Lincoln. The week after the game, several complimentary letters appeared in local papers from Wisconsin fans on how well they were treated on a very enjoyable trip to Nebraska.

Before the next game between Nebraska & Wisconsin, local Madison area papers put out warnings to the Badger fans, stating something along the lines of - get as nasty as you want with Buckeye fans, you can treat Gophers as trash, and swear at the Wolverines all you want. But when the Cornhuskers come to town, you treat them with genuine respect. If they need some help, make sure they are well taken care of. Invite them to your tailgate. After the good time Husker fans showed us in Lincoln, treat them like the good neighbors they are.

I have no links to any of what I typed here. I am just going by my memory. Anyone can please correct me if I'm wrong.
That does not surprise me. I had Badger fans walking up buying me beers. They said when they traveled to Lincoln, they couldn’t buy a beer as Nebraskans were extremely hospitable. Plus I am sure their kicking our butts all these years did not raise their animosity level either.;)

Just had this discussion with some buddies this past weekend.

-I really liked Virginia Tech, about went in swinging on an entire frat house that was chanting that "na-na-na-na" song at us when we were walking by. Would have ended in certain death for me.

-Always liked the Big12 Championships I went to but that was a bit different feel than a game in a college town

-Miami was fun... made the mistake of getting the first round of Vodka/RedBulls on South Beach for me and 3 other guys and when it rang up 96 dollars we all decided to pay for our own at that point.

-I loved going to Lawrence, Manhattan, Ames, Columbia. I have ton of friends in KC and they are familiar and don't need a flight to get there. The 2010 game they were talking so much trash to me as they thought they were going to roll. They had that kicker from McCook I believe and were spouting off about how they "came into our state and stole him from us" to which I had to point out that our kicker (Henery) was better than theirs and we got him as a walk-on.

-Michigan State and Michigan were fun, but their women were even pastier than ours so that was interesting.

-Purdue lets you drink in the stadium, that's fun

-I was talking so much trash (in a greatest fan of college football way) in Indianapolis 2012, that went well

-Seattle was the most fun I had at a game. Probably because we roasted them and they thought they were good.

-But my favorite was UCLA, but that's because my buddy who works at USC hooked us up with stuff all weekend.

Cal-Berkeley, September 1998.

There was a lot of red there. Cal fans simply aren't very threatening (except, I suppose, when they play Stanford). Roger Craig was in attendance, wandering around the Husker sections and shaking hands. I remember thinking how picturesque the stadium and surrounding view was.

It was generally just a very laid back afternoon with sunny skies and comfortable temperatures. It felt like napping weather -- and the Husker offense seemed like they were napping as well. Fortunately, the Blackshirts were dominant.

Last edited:

Notre Dame in 2000 was a great experience. Met a buddy in Chicago, hit a couple of C Town area bars that were watch sights or at least dominated by NE fans, and took a party bus to South Bend. Big win for the Huskers. Did TN versus NE in the Orange Bowl when we put it to Manning and the Vols. Was driving back to Knoxville in the middle of the night, listening to sports radio when they announced the shared national championship. I almost put us in the ditch I was so excited. Arizona State in the early 90's was a blast but crazy hot-I think it was 108 or so at kickoff for a night game. Trips to Manhattan and Lawrence in the early 90's all resulted in wins and picking your seat in the stadium. Ames in early 90's-car died on the way home but a good win. The rest are disappointing losses. Colorado in 96 or 97-first time they beat us in years. Big 12 Championship in KC against Oklahoma-bitter cold. Bad loss at Missouri in freezing rain-can't remember the year. Michigan in 2018-worst loss I have ever attended, game was over before it even started. Boulder last year-most disappointing away game loss I have attended. Music City Bowl against TN was pretty disappointing as well as it happened in my home town and was hoping for some bragging rights.

The 97 Missouri flea kicker game hands down. They were so stunned after the game they couldn't even trash cars with Nebraska tags

Last edited:
Minneapolis in '83 in the Humphrey Dome. Great venue and it was something like a 35 degree hard rain and we were inside, nice a dry drinking beer watching Irving and Turner to their thing.

ND in 2000. Fans around us were nice and it's a great atmosphere for college football combined with a game that went to OT.

Great topic! My family and I had great experiences many times, but these games standout. 2012 Northwestern game (it was as loud as a home game), 2014 Iowa game (Ferentz kept punting to DPE, Iowa fans coming up wanting to trade coaches) and 2017 Oregon (very gracious and friendly fans).

Notre Dame, 2000- will never forget the shocked look on Irish fans faces as they walked into Notre Dame Stadium only to gaze upon a Sea of Red. Plus I got a decent last minute $10 ticket while everyone else was paying a fortune:Biggrin:. And a W

Pitt, 2004- Good game, nice fans, and the unforgettable site of the constant flow of wreckage from yachts and riverside buildings floating past us in plain sight at Heinz in the wake of Hurricane Ivan.o_O Bonus: Pittsburgh has a surprisingly very Midwest vibe to it, very down to earth people. And a W

Illinois, 2015- Stupidest, most frustrating preventable Husker loss I can ever remember. But the Illini were great. We were looking right outside their Memorial Stadium to score three seats, approached a group of Illini fans to strike a deal. They gave us 40 yard line seats - and wouldn't take our money. :). Bonus: An L, but no post victory cockiness by the victors.

Northwestern, all - Laid back fans, Gracious in either defeat or victory, drivable from Nebraska and in my case an hour away, and if you enjoy a trip taking in the other fun things a big city offers, it's a guaranteed good time. Stay at a Loop hotel and take the Metra or CTA train to within a few blocks of Ryan Field. What's not to like? :thumbsup:Bonus: usually a W, and all the games are exciting.

Last edited:
Not a Nebraska game but it involved the Huskers. We lived just north of South Bend, Ind. in the early 1970s. My father got tickets to see Notre Dame vs Missouri on Oct. 21, 1972. Notre Dame was ranked 8th at the time and Missouri beat them 30-26, mostly because of turnovers. Notre Dame stadium, Touchdown Jesus, upset by an unranked Missouri team that had lost the previous week to Nebraska, 62-0. Priceless.

The 97 Missouri flea kicker game hands down. They were so stunned after the game they couldn't even trash cars with Nebraska tags

I was at that game and seriously expected to see 4 slashed tires when I got to mine. None were but it took us 2 hours to get out of town so they could have slashed them multiple times as we sat in one place for an hour at least in traffic.

My brother and I were about 20 feet from the Mizery student section and they were brutal all night...except for the last 0:00 seconds

Searching for something to generate some positive vibes. What is the best experience you have had at an opponent's stadium? I grew up and went to school on the west coast, so I have never been to a game at an opposing conference team.

For me, my best experience was at Oregon a couple of years ago. I don't think we bought a single beer all afternoon. Every time I turned around someone was thanking me for the great time they had in Lincoln the year before, and how they hoped their fans were returning the hospitality. Plenty of good natured ribbing going back and forth, but it was all in good fun. Their fans were commiserating when we were getting our posteriors handed to us in the first half, didn't get rude when we tried to come back, and after the game commented on how well we traveled and how they would like to see us again.

Nobody bought me any beer. :( The fans were nice though and were amazed at how well we traveled.

Not an away game per say, but went to the 82 OB when we played Clemson and lost. The Clemson fans outnumbered Nebraska fans like 5 to 1. They were really nice and gracious winners.

Going to Lawrence for a game was always a good time.

Pitt, 2004- Good game, nice fans, and the unforgettable site of the constant flow of wreckage from yachts and riverside buildings floating past us in plain sight at Heinz in the wake of Hurricane Ivan.o_O Bonus: Pittsburgh has a surprisingly very Midwest vibe to it, very down to earth people. And a W

I was also at that game -- but had more mixed feelings about the experience.

The flood was definitely the main highlight. It was a constant flow of entire docks with several boats still attached to each dock floating by. Craziest sight ever. The stadium itself was maybe half-full -- but understandable given that it was quite challenging driving around Pittsburgh -- many closed roads due to flooding.

The game itself wasn't well-played. Joe Dailey was far from good. And we had to hold on to win (that part actually did get a bit tense as they were moving the ball with a chance to tie it late -- as NU scored 0 in the second half). I remember feeling unimpressed with the Callahan product (this was game 3 of his first season).

What I didn't like about that game was one Pitt fan who literally spent the entire game yelling taunts at both the Huskers and the Nebraska fans. He was relentless, loud, and annoying. I was getting so worked up, my wife at the time (divorced for many years now) actually had to calm me down as I wanted to approach that tool. It was impossible blocking him out and just focusing on and trying to enjoy the game.

That said, I did have some crazy fun experiences at night in Pittsburgh.

Best experience would have to be Minnesota in 2015. We actually won that game, and the weather was very nice. That is the only time in 4 trips I've made that we won. The fans are always stellar hosts, though a couple were a little more chippy last year than any of the previous years.
ND 2000 was a fun game and the fans were fine, except a drunk leprechaun behind me spilled a mixed drink down my back. He was super apologetic though and eventually was removed because he was stumbling around.
2006 aTm the fans were very hospitable and we won on Purify's jump ball reception, so that was a good one. Some people grumbled that he pushed off but their fans took the loss well in my experience. A couple didn't mind letting us know how much they loved Bill Byrne. That was weird

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back