• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best Experience in an Opponent's Stadium

SierraRed

I'm pretty good at drinking beer
5 Year Member
Searching for something to generate some positive vibes. What is the best experience you have had at an opponent's stadium? I grew up and went to school on the west coast, so I have never been to a game at an opposing conference team.

For me, my best experience was at Oregon a couple of years ago. I don't think we bought a single beer all afternoon. Every time I turned around someone was thanking me for the great time they had in Lincoln the year before, and how they hoped their fans were returning the hospitality. Plenty of good natured ribbing going back and forth, but it was all in good fun. Their fans were commiserating when we were getting our posteriors handed to us in the first half, didn't get rude when we tried to come back, and after the game commented on how well we traveled and how they would like to see us again.

Best Experience - Wisconsin in 2018. In terms of fan friendliness
Worst Experience - Wisconsin in Russell Wilson's senior year. Got mobbed, barely got out with my life.

At Colorado. The tie game I think in 1991.

Because of a blizzard most of friends couldn't make it. One of them did get on Amtrack and made it in. We did a lot of pregame in very cold weather.

At the game a CU fan ran into the NU section and was screaming and taunting the Husker fans. He slipped on the icy bleachers near the top and slowly bounced off every bleacher step to the bottom in what seemed like a never-ending fall. Although the guy was obviously hurt, the entire section erupted in cheer.

I've been to some bowl games but never a true away game. Living in FL, it never made sense to choose going to an away game over a Saturday in Lincoln.

Although not an opponent at the time, USC at LA Memorial Coliseum was enjoyable historically.

RFK with the Redskins in their prime, while not a collegiate venue, was the most lasting memory with a dead body rolling up on the creek bank next to where we were tailgating. Quite the spectacle with helicopters, police, etc. interrupting our card game.....

Been to my fair share...

Best was Notre Dame in 2000
Really good were Washington in 97, Big 12 title game in 08
Great topic for a thread btw!

Not an opponent, but the Bounce House at UCF for the War on I-4 before Frosty went home. Two freaky fast, talented teams and a stadium that was absolutely electrifying from opening kick til final tick. Best college atmosphere I have ever witnessed in person, and I have seen alot of games in Lincoln. In the last few minutes of the game USF scored to tie the game and I turned to my Husker buddy that went with me and and said "can you feel that"? He said," feel what? And I told him " something is going to happen". UCF then took the kickoff back for the game winning touchdown. Never thought I woud ever experience a game like that in person. I still get goose bumps.

Best Experience - Wisconsin in 2018. In terms of fan friendliness
Worst Experience - Wisconsin in Russell Wilson's senior year. Got mobbed, barely got out with my life.

Although I have never been to an away game, I remember hearing that Wisconsin fans were horrible the first game we had in Madison as a B1G member. The following year, the Badgers came to Lincoln. The week after the game, several complimentary letters appeared in local papers from Wisconsin fans on how well they were treated on a very enjoyable trip to Nebraska.

Before the next game between Nebraska & Wisconsin, local Madison area papers put out warnings to the Badger fans, stating something along the lines of - get as nasty as you want with Buckeye fans, you can treat Gophers as trash, and swear at the Wolverines all you want. But when the Cornhuskers come to town, you treat them with genuine respect. If they need some help, make sure they are well taken care of. Invite them to your tailgate. After the good time Husker fans showed us in Lincoln, treat them like the good neighbors they are.

I have no links to any of what I typed here. I am just going by my memory. Anyone can please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not a huge fan of attending roads games as I've had some bad experiences...but that was mostly the Huskers poor play.

However, my wife and I had a great time at Michigan State in 2012. Great game that the Huskers miraculously pulled out.

2006 Texas A&M, but only the walk in and the walk out.

Had a project in Texas and one of the subcontractors found out I was a Nebraska guy and got me tickets.

A&M fans in the parking lot were great. Got a few beers, a brat and some wings, then inside the stadium they turned rabid. Aside from some of the crap at CU in the Mc Cartney years, I hadn't experienced that kind of venom.

Enjoyed the utter deflation when Purify scored at the end to win it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back