• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Best Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. Two nice wins but only two. As far as the SEC, just get tired of hearing the hype. Just as I'm sure people were very tired of hearing about NU in the 90's. Best conference? Probably. Men amongst boys? Not even close. Hope FSU ends the run this year.

True, but neither Iowa or Wisconsin looked totally outclassed by two good SEC opponents in their bowl games. I think the B1G did a nice job on New Year's Day towards rehabbing their image. Also, that was a pretty good Clemson team tOSU barely lost to. Speaking of which, I picked a good night last night to be sick because those were two great games.

True, but neither Iowa or Wisconsin looked totally outclassed by two good SEC opponents in their bowl games. I think the B1G did a nice job on New Year's Day towards rehabbing their image. Also, that was a pretty good Clemson team tOSU barely lost to. Speaking of which, I picked a good night last night to be sick because those were two great games.

Both of Iowa's scoring drives were in the single digits yardage wise thanks to an interception and KO return. They could not move the ball at all against LSU. I believe that LSU would beat Iowa 8 out of 10 times.

The ACC had a great year. They have possibly the national champion, a feel good story in Duke and all the major individual award winners.

Big "D"zasker;1670425 said:
I dunno. Two nice wins but only two. As far as the SEC, just get tired of hearing the hype. Just as I'm sure people were very tired of hearing about NU in the 90's. Best conference? Probably. Men amongst boys? Not even close. Hope FSU ends the run this year.

Wisconsin was favored to beat South Carolina. 2-5 is not changing many perceptions. Michigan State changed some perceptions, but not so much the Big Ten as a whole. You would hope the conference wouldn't have to rely on moral victories.

Both of Iowa's scoring drives were in the single digits yardage wise thanks to an interception and KO return. They could not move the ball at all against LSU. I believe that LSU would beat Iowa 8 out of 10 times.

Hey, can't a guy play nice...just once? :) I agree they would beat them 8 out of 10, but it's not like Iowa got blown out of the water like many people probably expected.

Wisconsin was favored to beat South Carolina. 2-5 is not changing many perceptions. Michigan State changed some perceptions, but not so much the Big Ten as a whole. You would hope the conference wouldn't have to rely on moral victories.

Really? I never follow point spreads so that's a surprise to me. Let me just say that the B1G did a decent job of rehabbing their image with ME, and obviously me only. :Biggrin:

Its looking like Vandy can be giving another win to the SEC as they are crushing Houston 24-0

ESPN and most of the talking heads have told us it's the SEC. SEC this and SEC that. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia and the rest do have great athletes. The word all season was the BIG........well, it's not so big. Some say the PAC 10 and the Big Twelve are close seconds in the pecking order. Looking at the bowl matchups maybe the best conference is the old Big Eight. That is if it was still around. Oklahoma defeating Bama. Missouri winning. K-State winning. Nebraska defeating Georgia. They still play some football in the midwest no matter what ESPN says.

:2cents:
My best guess this year is:
PAC 12
SEC
Big 12
Big Ten
ACC
It's foolish to call one the best before the season. There's a lot of player turnover every year, and the rankings can change.

Really? I never follow point spreads so that's a surprise to me. Let me just say that the B1G did a decent job of rehabbing their image with ME, and obviously me only. :Biggrin:

Yep, Wisconsin -1.5.

You are much more easily pleased that I would have ever guessed! What's wrong with you!?!? :Biggrin:

It's difficult not to place the SEC on the top of any list. It wasn't too long ago some argued the Big 12 and rightly so. In the eighties the Florida schools were the cream. With the changing of conference membership the perception can be a moving target to some degree.

The thing I saw was even with the 2 and 5 record in bowls, the Big Ten was competitive in most cases. Most contests went right down to the final whistle before there were clear winners. So as many have said, that the BIG as being weak, wasn't the case by any great distance in all reality.

In Nebraska's case it's encouraging that a defense stock full of freshmen could evolve as fast as they did. That distance from the top to near what is perceived as the bottom, isn't so great a distance that can't be overcome. That parity that has been achieved by the NCAA's rules has lessened that distance.

The same reason that some conferences are deemed meat grinders. One has to bring their A game week in and week out. That mental thing Bo talked about after last year's season. One could see that mental game progress in Nebraska's case this year.

It's difficult not to see the SEC as the bell cow, but leadership has always been a moving target. Especially with coaching changes, veteran squad rotation and dynamic players. So seems as if there is always a changing of the guard decade to decade with parity keeping things close. At least that's my hope.

Let's take a look, as we speak here with just a couple of games to go. SEC stands 7-2 with Auburn to go. Pac 12 is done, stands 6-3. Big 12 is done at 3-3. Big 10 is done at 2-5, and if you include the new 2014 members, 2-7. Poor Mac went 0-4 with Ball State to go. The ACC is at 2-6 with the Noles to go.

No question the SEC dominated this season and post season. whether we like to admit it or not.

As I've said before I don't think bowls are always a great barometer. But with respect to national perceptions...the big 10 and SEC have lived up to their's so far this bowl season.

This all day long

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back