• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Best Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train

Recruit
2 Year Member
ESPN and most of the talking heads have told us it's the SEC. SEC this and SEC that. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia and the rest do have great athletes. The word all season was the BIG........well, it's not so big. Some say the PAC 10 and the Big Twelve are close seconds in the pecking order. Looking at the bowl matchups maybe the best conference is the old Big Eight. That is if it was still around. Oklahoma defeating Bama. Missouri winning. K-State winning. Nebraska defeating Georgia. They still play some football in the midwest no matter what ESPN says.

:2cents:

The SEC still has a chance to win the MNC this season if I'm not mistaken. Also, I think it's a waste of time hating all things SEC and ESPN. There's only one way to change the perception and the B1G took a step in the right direction this bowl season.

The SEC still has a chance to win the MNC this season if I'm not mistaken. Also, I think it's a waste of time hating all things SEC and ESPN. There's only one way to change the perception and the B1G took a step in the right direction this bowl season.

I dunno. Two nice wins but only two. As far as the SEC, just get tired of hearing the hype. Just as I'm sure people were very tired of hearing about NU in the 90's. Best conference? Probably. Men amongst boys? Not even close. Hope FSU ends the run this year.

Michigan State took a step in the right direction. I suppose you could say Nebraska did also -- but that will be more of an internal perception than national (just based on the much larger exposure for the Rose Bowl). But the Big Ten mostly failed. 2-5 is not going to change perception nationally. Again, the only perception changed is that Michigan State has shown it belongs on the big time stage.

SEC is 6-2. Should Auburn win, 7-2 plus the national champ ... that would be difficult to argue against the conference as a whole still being king. Now, should Auburn lose, you might be able to argue that another conference or two is biting at the SEC heels. Problem is, I don't know that another major conference really had a solid all-around showing this bowl season.

EDIT: And Vandy, playing now. If they win today, SEC has a chance to go 8-2.

6-4, 7-3, and 8-2 all still possible.

Last edited:
I dunno. Two nice wins but only two. As far as the SEC, just get tired of hearing the hype. Just as I'm sure people were very tired of hearing about NU in the 90's. Best conference? Probably. Men amongst boys? Not even close. Hope FSU ends the run this year.

:thumbsup:

SEC is 6-2. Should Auburn win, 7-2 plus the national champ ... that would be difficult to argue against the conference as a whole still being king. Now, should Auburn lose, you might be able to argue that another conference or two is biting at the SEC heels. Problem is, I don't know that another major conference really had a solid all-around showing this bowl season.

Don't forget Vandy who is beating Houston as we speak.

By no means am I a SEC lover but IMO they are the best conference hands down. Yes Alabama got beat but the rest of the conference has done well. Auburn and Vanderbilt yet to play. I do not think the the SEC is invincible like ESPN portrays the conference but from top to bottom think they are the best conference.

Michigan State took a step in the right direction. I suppose you could say Nebraska did also -- but that will be more of an internal perception than national (just based on the much larger exposure for the Rose Bowl). But the Big Ten mostly failed. 2-5 is not going to change perception nationally. Again, the only perception changed is that Michigan State has shown it belongs on the big time stage.

Add with vandy and it could be 8-2. 8-2 plus a national title may send some people on this board straight into therapy because if you thought the "SEC/ESPN love affair" was bad before this bowl season...it's only going to get worse.

Last edited:

As I've said before I don't think bowls are always a great barometer. But with respect to national perceptions...the big 10 and SEC have lived up to their's so far this bowl season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back