• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best concert(s) you've ever been to

Been quite of a few in my 65 years. A couple that really stick out were Queen giving a free concert in London at Hyde Park. Genesis at Knebworth was also something I will never forget. Seeing Iron Butterfly around 1969 doing the long version Ina-Godda-Da-Vidda was mind-blowing to a young mind at the time. Many others over the years and I always check out Eric Clapton, JJ Cale, and Tom Petty when they were close by and still with us.

Some of the standouts:

Phish Alpine Valley 1997
Neil Young and Crazy Horse Bonnaroo 2003
Govt Mule Wakarusa 2006
Roger Waters Dark Side of the Moon Omaha 2007
Roger Waters The Wall Omaha 2010
Roger Waters Us and Them KC 2017

In the bands I wanted to see but never thought I would get to in 2007 the Dixie Dregs in Salt Lake City in one of their reformations and a short tour. Steve Morse had his solo band open do he was a pretty busy dude that night

Highlight was getting to see Jerry Goodman on electric violin. Huge fan of his from his days in Mahavishnu Orchestra

What a great evening and a dream show come true

The wife tagged along and loved the show too and love Jerry Goodman too

Been quite of a few in my 65 years. A couple that really stick out were Queen giving a free concert in London at Hyde Park. Genesis at Knebworth was also something I will never forget. Seeing Iron Butterfly around 1969 doing the long version Ina-Godda-Da-Vidda was mind-blowing to a young mind at the time. Many others over the years and I always check out Eric Clapton, JJ Cale, and Tom Petty when they were close by and still with us.

Iron Butterfly in person......Strong

Chicago played my sophomore year in college before they were famous.....

Saw him in 1981 or 1982...I think? At the Denver Coliseum.....lol.

He was the warm-up for April Wine.

The Denver Coliseum. Man, I forgot about that place.

It smelled like animal dung, damp dirt and diesel fuel all year.

In 2000 I had to painfully endure Brittney Spears at the Sandstone Amphitheater in Bonner Springs Kansas because my wife wouldn’t let me just drop my 13 year old son off and go back to pick him up after the show.....oh wait this isn’t the worst concert you’ve ever seen thread. Never mind.

Last edited:
In 2000 I had to painfully endure Brittney Spears at the Sandstone Amphitheater in Bonner Springs Kansas because my wife wouldn’t let me just drop my 13 year old son off and go back to pick him up after the show.....oh wait this isn’t the worst concert you’ve ever seen. Never mind.

It isn't the worst concert you've ever seen thread!!! LOL!

But the worst I ever saw was Fleetwood Mac at the Pepsi Center in Denver ( late 1990's).

Any of you see Springsteen at the Music Hall in September 1975? Born to Run just released that month and barely in the record stores. One month before Time and Newsweek put him on the cover. So no hype yet - I had seen a concert review in the Villiage Voice that summEr so got a ticket. I had never seen a band work so hard, nor seen something like the Bruce-Clarence relationship on stage. Totally blown away. I spent the next several years trying to convince people that had not seen him live that he was not all hype.
Not there but my older sister was and had the same experience as you. Said it was the best concert she'd ever seen and she went to them constantly.

She and I and a bunch of others went to his Born in the USA show at Devaney in '84. It wasn't the best concert I've been to, but it was by far and away the best ticket buying experience Ive ever had. Tickets were supposed to go on sale in the Student Union at noon on a Thursday and a bunch of us queued up. We were about # 60, standing between the Union and Admin.

Then they told everyone to go home because they moved it back to Saturday morning. But we decided to stay in line and people joined the line which quickly lengthened to 1000+ people snaking across campus in what was basically a 2 day party. KFMQ played 2 hours of Springsteen Friday night and everyone had their radios tuned to it. It was a huge blast.

Any of you see Springsteen at the Music Hall in September 1975? Born to Run just released that month and barely in the record stores. One month before Time and Newsweek put him on the cover. So no hype yet - I had seen a concert review in the Villiage Voice that summEr so got a ticket. I had never seen a band work so hard, nor seen something like the Bruce-Clarence relationship on stage. Totally blown away. I spent the next several years trying to convince people that had not seen him live that he was not all hype.

I've seen Springsteen a dozen...plus times since 1980 in Denver.

He's a performer and I never felt like I didn't get more than my monies worth. Unreal in person.

A show I got free tickets to(from a co-worker who couldn't make it) and that I figured what they hell, if it sucked, I'd just leave, wouldn't cost me anything but the price of a couple of drinks. I posted something about it after the show on here somewhere, but Melissa Ethridge was the show. She was funny, with great little stories, played the hell out of a harmonica and her guitar, and she can flat out sing with a great voice. I wasn't really expecting all that much, but walked out of the venue with a huge grin on my face as I was completely stunned and extremely happy with how good the show was.

A show I got free tickets to(from a co-worker who couldn't make it) and that I figured what they hell, if it sucked, I'd just leave, wouldn't cost me anything but the price of a couple of drinks. I posted something about it after the show on here somewhere, but Melissa Ethridge was the show. She was funny, with great little stories, played the hell out of a harmonica and her guitar, and she can flat out sing with a great voice. I wasn't really expecting all that much, but walked out of the venue with a huge grin on my face as I was completely stunned and extremely happy with how good the show was.
As far as free concerts go the best one I ever attended was Tony Bennett. This was 8 years ago when he was only a young 85. He sang and told stories that only someone who had been performing for generations could. He danced, got down on a knee and popped back up and moved around like someone half his age. It was such a great show I had procured tickets for his April show at Winstar but It was postponed until September but it has since been postponed again.

I've posted about this before, so I wont go into to much detail but we got tickets to see a "Listener Appreciation" show in Tulsa from the owner of the country radio station in the early mid 80's as his station was rated #1 in all of the midwest. Anyways, one of the opening bands was Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys. I grew up listening to country and I still do, but at the time I was really getting into rock and heavier music and I just recall seeing them all dressed the same in their Red and White get ups and with the frill on some of the jackets.

I recall laughing and telling my brother, man, can't wait for the real musicians to get up on stage. I forget how many bands played that night, but 3 stand out as simply AMAZING. Reba McEntire was a young rising artist and they were really good. George Jones was known at the time as "No Show Jones" because of his problems with drugs and alcohol, but he was the headliner and proceeded to put on one helluva show. But, to this day, and I am still completely amazed and floored by it, but Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys were the star of the show.

I guess I was already on my way to liking all kinds of different music, but I honestly think that because of Bob Wills, it was cemented into my brain that live music was the best thing ever. That show ranks up there with the best of them for me. Bob Wills, who'da thunk it.
When I saw George he was so out of it he couldn't remember the lyrics. His guitar player had to keep whispering them to him. I always assumed he was drunk, but it might have been something stronger.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back