• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best concert(s) you've ever been to

April 1984, The Bob Devaney Center, Frank Sinatra with Buddy Rich, band conducted by Frank Sinatra Jr.

Ol' Blue Eyes himself. The performance was top notch, very professional in everyway, including the Buddy solo. I have heard stories from ushers from when the Beatles and Stones toured in the mid-60's that after the shows the seats where girls sat in the theaters would be wet. The crowd that night was mostly older, I wasn't quite 30, most of the others were in their 50's and 60s. When Frank hit the stage the audible gasp and giggle from the women in the crowd was astounding. I have never heard anything like it. My bet is most of those seats were wet that night and a lot of guys had some of the best sex they ever had with their ladies thinking of Frankie.

I saw that show.... it was fantastic.

Any of you see Springsteen at the Music Hall in September 1975? Born to Run just released that month and barely in the record stores. One month before Time and Newsweek put him on the cover. So no hype yet - I had seen a concert review in the Villiage Voice that summEr so got a ticket. I had never seen a band work so hard, nor seen something like the Bruce-Clarence relationship on stage. Totally blown away. I spent the next several years trying to convince people that had not seen him live that he was not all hype.

Queen with Freddie Mercury, early 80's in Omaha. John Denver who was 2 1/2 hours non-stop while giving his band a 3 minute break.

I’m a HUGE Queen fan, I’m jealous. I did get to see Queen + Adam Lambert and they were fantastic. Lambert is a hell of a singer. Still though, it’s not Freddie.

1. Garth Brooks. Most dynamic performer I have ever seen, and it is not close. From the moment he walks out he owns the stage. Awesome shows, awesome music.
2. Neil Diamond. Absolutely owned the crowd. It was like turning a switch. When he wanted people up, they were on their feet and screaming. When he wanted to slow things down, the people were in their seats quietly waiting for the next number.
3. Bob Seger. He left everything on the stage. I walked out just exhausted, feeling like I had been performing.

Honorable Mention: The Oak Ridge Boys. Saw them many times. This one time they were playing with Sawyer Brown and Exile. Exile had to back out of the show due to a death in the family, and Sawyer Brown was new and didn't have a lot of songs ready to go. The Oak Ridge Boys came out, apologized on behalf of Exile, and said they would try to make it up to the crowd. They played their full set, took about a 20 minute break, came back out and played another full set without overlapping songs. They made sure we got our money's worth, and they will always be a class act in my book.

Garth Brooks is great. So much passion and energy, he truly loves what he does. I’ve seen him live 3 times. One time in Las Vegas at the Wynn. It was an intimate show, just him and a guitar. He told his life story and played his songs himself. It was really neat.

This is going to sound really cheesy, but the Imagine Dragons put on an unbelievable show. I went in with minimal expectations and was blown away. Pink did the same thing. Not my top concerts, but just mentioning how impressed I was.

Here's a random one but it honestly was a great concert. I had gone through a streak of older acts that just wanted to play their new stuff and not the classics. Raleigh had a free concert series outside, and I went to see Eddie Freaking Money. Dude gave it everything he had for an hour and a half and played every single hit song.
Took him an hour and a half to get through 2 songs :( poor old guy.

Finally got around to looking at this thread. I haven't seen nearly as many live acts as most have. I would like to see more. The simple truth of the matter is my wife really doesn't like going to concerts unless we are going with other people it is not her thing. She doesn't really like the crowds.

The first big concert I ever went to was Foreigner in 1978 I believe, Civic Auditorium.

Saw U2 in Omaha on their tour in 2002 or 3. Say what you want about Bono being a wanker, but they put on a great show. They have to be one of the tightest bands you can see live.

We have a great outdoor venue in Boise it is out by the old penitentiary have seen a few bands there. Saw Tears for Fears there a couple years ago. They were good. Someone mentioned seeing Mellencamp and Emilou Harris I saw them at this venue. I thought Johnny Cougar was just OK. He seemed like he was just going through the motions.

Before we moved to Idaho we used to go see a lot of older bands at Divots in Norfolk over labor day weekend. Saw REO Speedwagon, Chicago, Kansas, Eddie Money, Heart, Pat Benatar at different times. Eddie Money did more talking than singing. Heart basically didn't say a word. They did about an 70 minute set and were off the stage.

Saw STP a couple years ago with there new lead singer at a place called the Knitting Factory in Boise nice small venue probably about 1000 people. They were good.

Have seen a few country bands. My wife likes country music. Saw Rascal Flats they were good. One of the best bands I have seen any genre is Zac Brown Band. They were really good.

Saw Motley Crue on their farewell tour a few years back. Not a huge Crue fan, but thought what the hell. Alice Cooper opened for them. He was way better than MC. His backing band was great. I am not sure Nikki Sixx was even playing his bass most the night.

Saw AC/DC on the Runaway Train tour in Omaha.

I guess looking back I have been to more concerts than I remember.

I’ve seen Motley Crue numerous times Omaha, Cleveland, West Virginia ... they were always as good as they wanted to be effort wise. Most of my experiences with them have been favorable.

I’ve seen Poison probably 8 times and Brett Michaels with his band another 10 times. That guy is a pro and always puts on a kick ass show.

Also several years back Crue, Poison and Def Leppard played TD Ameritrade. That venue with the Omaha skyline was awesome... Def Leppard was REALLY good.

The most surprising good shows were 2 that really stick out:

1) Several years back I still lived in Sioux City IA and Elton John was there on like a random Thursday night... I got tickets literally the day of and my GF and I went not expecting much from a guy in his 60’s in a much less than headlining venue... and this effing guy banged on that piano straight through 2+ hours and played his ass off ... I was blown away at that...

2) Huge outdoor concert in Sioux City every 4th of July called Saturday In the park. One year they had Los Lobos who weren’t actually the headliners but they were easily one of the best live bands I’ve ever heard.

Last edited:
Before we moved to Idaho we used to go see a lot of older bands at Divots in Norfolk over labor day weekend. Saw REO Speedwagon, Chicago, Kansas, Eddie Money, Heart, Pat Benatar at different times. Eddie Money did more talking than singing. Heart basically didn't say a word. They did about an 70 minute set and were off the stage.
I saw Brett Michaels and Lita Ford at Divots. Really cool little outdoor venue, I’d go to a show there anytime.

July 1978, Uptown Theater, Kansas City MO. UK, opening act Starcastle. Starcastle was sort of a midwestern version of Yes. There were some guys in the audience who were there to primarily see them and swore they put on a great show. UK at the time consisted of John Wetton on bass, Bill Bruford on drums, Alan Holdsworth on guitar, and Eddie Jobson on keyboards and violin. UK was, well UK. It was the second loudest concert I was ever at, we were in the balcony and literally by the end of the last song we had to turn around to keep from suffering any more hearing damage, but even then the sound coming off the back wall was painful.

Funny I posted on here and in my Facebook memories a concert I was at 11 years ago popped up. What a picture lol...

3E2D8624-8C6B-4E32-B53F-CC20FAC2C9F8.jpeg

Saw Buddy Rich and his orchestra in my home town McCook in I believe it was 1978? Maybe 1979?

I was very much into drumming at the time and he just dazzled the shiite out of me. Fastest hands I have ever seen.
Left the auditorium, walking home, wanted to find a drum stick he had tossed. Turned around and walked back. Snuck in, there was no one in the auditorium. Looked under the orchestra riser ...AND there it was. A drum stick. Still have it. LOL.

I lived in Dakota City pop. 1900
Right next to South Sioux and Sioux City IA.

Been gone for several years but my whole family still lives there. You?
I lived in Creighton and Plainview for about 17 years and taught school in Norfolk before moving to Idaho. My daughter lives in SS City and works in Dakota Dunes.

I've posted about this before, so I wont go into to much detail but we got tickets to see a "Listener Appreciation" show in Tulsa from the owner of the country radio station in the early mid 80's as his station was rated #1 in all of the midwest. Anyways, one of the opening bands was Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys. I grew up listening to country and I still do, but at the time I was really getting into rock and heavier music and I just recall seeing them all dressed the same in their Red and White get ups and with the frill on some of the jackets.

I recall laughing and telling my brother, man, can't wait for the real musicians to get up on stage. I forget how many bands played that night, but 3 stand out as simply AMAZING. Reba McEntire was a young rising artist and they were really good. George Jones was known at the time as "No Show Jones" because of his problems with drugs and alcohol, but he was the headliner and proceeded to put on one helluva show. But, to this day, and I am still completely amazed and floored by it, but Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys were the star of the show.

I guess I was already on my way to liking all kinds of different music, but I honestly think that because of Bob Wills, it was cemented into my brain that live music was the best thing ever. That show ranks up there with the best of them for me. Bob Wills, who'da thunk it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back