• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

BEER!

Like most Asian beers it is much better when the formaldehyde levels are high. When we bought this and other brands you always looked for the most cloudy, as there were no regulations on brewing so cloudier = stronger.

The formaldehyde thing is largely urban myth. I'm not a chemist, but I have practiced home brewing since the late '80's and have read volumes on all of it. It's been twenty years or so since I heard this one, but the reality is there is a small amount of formaldehyde created in any fermentation process and it's present to some degree in all fermented alcohol. I could never find any written proof that any brewer, domestic of foreign, had ever used formaldehyde or formalin in the brewing, aging or bottling/canning process. I don't know that San Miguel doesn't have more than other beers or that Asian beers as a whole don't have more, but this same story was circulated about Budweiser, Coors and Mexican beers in the late '90's. I don't care for most Asian beers, I think primarily because of the ingredients selected and possibly the brewing process itself. Hard to say. Either way, drink up.

Another Lagunitas beer that isn't short on hops. I'm a hops guy, but this crap is starting to get out of hand. It's good stuff, but not every beer in your arsenal needs to taste like grapefruit peel IMO.

Lagunitas.jpg

The formaldehyde thing is largely urban myth. I'm not a chemist, but I have practiced home brewing since the late '80's and have read volumes on all of it. It's been twenty years or so since I heard this one, but the reality is there is a small amount of formaldehyde created in any fermentation process and it's present to some degree in all fermented alcohol. I could never find any written proof that any brewer, domestic of foreign, had ever used formaldehyde or formalin in the brewing, aging or bottling/canning process. I don't know that San Miguel doesn't have more than other beers or that Asian beers as a whole don't have more, but this same story was circulated about Budweiser, Coors and Mexican beers in the late '90's. I don't care for most Asian beers, I think primarily because of the ingredients selected and possibly the brewing process itself. Hard to say. Either way, drink up.
Maybe a urban myth but it’s fact that the cloudier the beer the more potent it was, that was with all the beer we were drinking in Korea, Red Horse, San Miguel and OB. Same thing with the Soju.

Found another tasty brew yesterday. Coming in at 7.0%, it's easy to enjoy 3 or 4, or..... Azacca from Founders. Here is the description straight from Founders....
Named after the Haitian God of agriculture, the Azacca hop has an intense tropical aroma with hints of citrus and mango. A touch of caramel malt gives a sweet backbone to support the righteous fruit character of this beer. Pouring a burnt orange color and registering at 7.0% ABV, your taste buds will worship this heavenly, hopped delight.
AzaccaIPA2017Feature.jpg

Last edited:
Found another tasty brew yesterday. Coming in at 7.0%, it's easy to enjoy 3 or 4, or..... Azacca from Founders. Here is the description straight from Founders....
AzaccaIPA2017Feature.jpg

I almost picked up a case of that yesterday. Opted for the All Day IPA and Centennial again. Plus, picked up a six of Brown Shugga that was recommended on here a while back.

I almost picked up a case of that yesterday. Opted for the All Day IPA and Centennial again. Plus, picked up a six of Brown Shugga that was recommended on here a while back.
A few of us definitely recommended the Brown Shugga(Brown Shugga Substitute is pretty damn good too) but I want to suggest that you give this Azacca a try, it's not as bitter, but still has that hop bite that I love. I'll be picking up another 15 pack tomorrow or Friday. Good stuff.

Last edited:
What would Christmas be without a little Sweet Baby Jesus.

This stuff is freaking tasty.

IMG_2302.JPG

My Christmas stocking was filled with these:

Toppling Goliath (4 pack):
PS.REFORMAT-480x720.jpg

4 pack
TS.REFORMAT-480x720.jpg

Bent River (Rock Island and Moline, IL) Daytrotter (12 bottles):
Year-Round-Beer-Cut-Sheet-for-website.jpg

http://www.stonebrewing.com/beer (variety 12 pack).

delicious_bottle.png

It was a big stocking.

Last edited:
We just got back from a Washington State vacation and try to drink local choices on our trips.

We had a couple of Elysian brand ones, Space Dust was solid and available at our local grocery store in Iowa.
I finally got around to trying this one. Very nice beer. 8.2% abv, it has a bit of a bite. It's spendy also, for a 6er, but I got it on sale and like it a lot. Needs to be chilled though. Good stuff.
SpaceDustBottle22oz.png

I finally got around to trying this one. Very nice beer. 8.2% abv, it has a bit of a bite. It's spendy also, for a 6er, but I got it on sale and like it a lot. Needs to be chilled though. Good stuff.
SpaceDustBottle22oz.png
Had some a while back and didn’t think it was worth the $14 a six. Now after a month of nothing but Chang Beer I would gladly fork over the 14.
F3776B29-868F-4E07-9947-74A0B05DBF55.jpeg

What would Christmas be without a little Sweet Baby Jesus.

This stuff is freaking tasty.

View attachment 14051
When @Red Dead Redemption passed through here a little while back we went to a spot for a bite to eat and they had a nice beer selection on tap. We both ordered flights and that is the night that I discovered Sweet Baby Jesus and Brown Shugga. What a glorious night that was. Well, that is until @Red Dead Redemption invited me to check out his rolling abode and then got out his horsehead and that dishrag that had a faint aroma of chloroform. I don't remember much after that...

Last edited:

Maybe a urban myth but it’s fact that the cloudier the beer the more potent it was, that was with all the beer we were drinking in Korea, Red Horse, San Miguel and OB. Same thing with the Soju.
I never had the displeasure to deploy to Korea but, since I was a tanker, I know a lot of dudes whom did. They used to tell me stories about burning the formaldehyde off the top of the Soju before drinking it. They also told me they lost a lot of nights to that stuff.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back