• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Beck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but my response to that would be that Beck needs to tell Martinez to stop checking out of running plays to pass plays. We are trying to create sustained drives.

Yes, I said during the game we needed to stop checking so much...TA/RK3 hardly ever check, they just run the play. Guess what? We usually get positive yards with the original play call! It seems TM is often trying to check into a 20+ gain instead of taking 5. I get why Taylor has the ability to check, because he has been running the offense for years. But in this game, they should have told him to STOP.

Minnesota stayed in one high safety, which for our QBs is an automatic check to a pass as one of our receivers is one on one on the outside. However, those audibles after the first couple series should have been told to Martinez to not do, as we were running just fine with 8 in the box. The other problem with Martinez is that the main reason you audible out of a run with 8 in the box is the one on one matchups on the outside with your receivers, but the other reason is when there is 7 in the box, Martinez is for the most part told to audible to the side that has 3 players to it for the defense. With 8 in the box it can be 4 and 4 which in Martinez's brain is just like when your computer freezes and you keep typing or moving the mouse, but nothing happens...
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! +1......... Our resident X and O expert hits it right out of the park imo! How come he can see it while coaches making hundreds of thousands can't? If you LOOK at the film which I did it's EXACTLY as *** explains... exactly what happened. It's over the top frustration that a forum member sees what's happening while our highly paid staff can't? GIMMIE freaken break here....

To make matters worse we stayed with a QB that really couldn't run much, couldn't run the option and passing was at best so so!! It's a game we clearly shouldn't have lost imo. It's almost 100% on our coaches..... once again! I honestly don't see anything changing until Bo and this staff are terminated. Let me say.. I DO NOT HATE BO, BECK, PAP... etc!!! I do however HATE the way they are coaching. We are consistently out coached by experienced coaches but I didn't expect to get drilled by an interim one!!!!

Armstrong stats this year:

Year CMP ATT PCY YDS AVG TD LNG INT
2013 26 46 56.5 347 7.5 3 37 3

This is not a pro Martinez or anti Armstrong post, but Armstrong has not yet lit the world on fire. He did not handle the Purdue blitz well at all (Kellogg did). The receivers, just as with Martinez, bailed him out a lot even with the 57% completion rate. I get he is a red shirt freshman, and he definitely has a presence that makes him look like a QB where Martinez doesn't, but I can't really say these stats tell me he should have been playing instead of Martinez (if Martinez was healthy). What I will say, as I said Saturday, is I wish that either Armstrong or Kellogg (my preference was Kellogg because of what I thought was poor pass pro and his better ability at reading the blitz) would have got snaps in the second quarter once the O bogged down, if for no other reason than it might spark the team. Not a knock on Martinez, just happens that way sometimes, and Martinez certainly did not play his best game Saturday, hurt or healthy.

I also agree Beck calls a different game with Martinez in there, but I don't think thats because of Martinez's liabilities. I think Beck likes to be multiple, and when the very experienced Martinez returned Beck returned to over complicating things versus keeping it simple. Would like ***'s or Bo Pelini's Gum's opinion on that, since I am not a coach.

Last edited:
I have thought Beck is a good OC but there are games like Saturday his game calling goes south. I think he leans towards passing the ball around even when his inner sense tells him its the run game thats working.

First of all, I'm not gonna quote any posts or call anyone out on this. That's not my style. I'm new here and haven't earned my stripes yet. I also think that free speech, personal opinions, and the ability to express them should be encouraged without fear of reprisal!!!

That being said, I'm very interested to hear your opinions about Coach Beck. How can some consider him a great coordinator when he cannot recognize the obvious? I would say that he is excellent at designing plays on the blackboard that are worthy of publication in any "How to exploit your opponent on the football field" book. However, who the hell is he designing these plays for? If you can't EXECUTE the offense in your sleep than you....

A. Don't have/play the right personnel.
B. Don't ensure the game plan is understood.
C. Don't gets the reps in practice.
D. Can't make the in game adjustments.

A failure in any of these greatly limits your success on the field....and, for me, ends the argument of Coach Beck's greatness. For 3/4 of a million dollars we can do better!

I like Beck but no thanks as far as the head coach. Also he is too cute at times and tries to out scheme the other team instead of pounding the rock when we know the other team can't stop it...

First of all, I'm not gonna quote any posts or call anyone out on this. That's not my style. I'm new here and haven't earned my stripes yet. I also think that free speech, personal opinions, and the ability to express them should be encouraged without fear of reprisal!!!

That being said, I'm very interested to hear your opinions about Coach Beck. How can some consider him a great coordinator when he cannot recognize the obvious? I would say that he is excellent at designing plays on the blackboard that are worthy of publication in any "How to exploit your opponent on the football field" book. However, who the hell is he designing these plays for? If you can't EXECUTE the offense in your sleep than you....

A. Don't have/play the right personnel.
B. Don't ensure the game plan is understood.
C. Don't gets the reps in practice.
D. Can't make the in game adjustments.

A failure in any of these greatly limits your success on the field....and, for me, ends the argument of Coach Beck's greatness. For 3/4 of a million dollars we can do better!

Good point. I think the keys are mainly B and C for him. Great plays, but he seems to have too many and the players don't get enough reps of each play.

I would like to see how he does with Tommy at the helm consistently. It's possible some of what seems like poor play calling is trying to force a square peg of a quarterback into a round hole of a scheme at Bo's insistence.

Put another way, I believe the chances that the offense going forward will blossom if Beck gets his way are higher than they are that the whole team will blossom within another couple of years under Pelini. If the offense does come together here, Beck becoming HC and hiring a top notch DC would be one way to go. I'm not saying that until I see it blossom though.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back