• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked B1G Revenue Not Bringing Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew the "academic standards" excuse was coming so I just pointed out that Stanford seems to find enough players to field a pretty damn good football program of late. This article was simply stating that the BIG is bringing in tons of money but its isnt translating into on field results like the SEC. You asked why? I answered by saying Coaching and Recruiting. it really is simple.

and they talk correctly to top it all off.

yes because intelligence is always measured by how folk talk....Good god

Welcome to 1903 America. To the left you will see....NM

If you honestly do not think intelligence level and the ability/desire to speak intelligibly have a direct correlation... I am not sure what to say to you...

If you honestly do not think intelligence level and the ability/desire to speak intelligibly have a direct correlation... I am not sure what to say to you...

Yet we find so many prodigies that have Autism. It's a good thing we look beyond how they speak to how truly intelligent they are.

Academics is both a good and bad argument for the Big Ten to champion.

On one side, it clearly presents a challenge in recruiting top-tier talent. As others have pointed out there are a lot of big, dumb, slow kids who wind up padding rosters at places like Mississippi State or South Carolina because they honestly cannot crack the entrance exam at schools like Penn State or Northwestern. For many of the homegrown kids in the talent-rich south, it's a simple decision: stay local and go to a school that will blindly accept you regardless of your scholastic ability.

While the SEC decries this argument, it's valid. But here's the bad:

Stanford.

Most of our Rose Bowl brethren have similar academic requirements, yet the Pac-12 is boasting some of the best football in the nation right now. Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, and even schools like Washington or Arizona State are fielding solid football teams and they are functionally no better or worse than the Big Ten in academics.

Thus, the talent gap must be a two-factor problem. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that it comes down to academics and location. While the SEC has an advantage in local kids - the destinations of their specific campuses aren't really any better or worse than many Big Ten schools. Tuscaloosa isn't exactly any more thrilling than Lincoln or Iowa City.

But where we stand toe-to-toe with the Pac-12 on education, we lose on location. Plenty of kids enjoy the beaches of SoCal, the sunny warmth of Arizona or the scenic beauty and outdoors lifestyle of Oregon and Washington.

We can change one of those variables. But just as our geographic locations are fixed, I would say that the Big Ten's academic reputation is set in stone. So realistically, the only way that the Big Ten can push those detractors under the rug is to win football games. Copious amounts of football games. I really hate those Bucky Horseshoes, but we need Urban Meyer to compete for a National Title. We need OSU-Michigan to be a Top 5 matchup. We need the Blackshirts to start racking up 10 sacks per game. We even need the also-rans like Iowa or Purdue to smash a couple of BCS-level teams as well. A couple of good bowl game upsets are worth their weight in gold.

Turning the perception of this conference is like turning a freight train. It's a long and drawn out process and will take a couple seasons. Next year's playoff is a perfect chance for a Big Ten Cinderella story. And maybe, we'll take home a crown.

Yet we find so many prodigies that have Autism. It's a good thing we look beyond how they speak to how truly intelligent they are.

Obviously autism is an exception to that rule... you are just being a contrarian for the sake of being an contrarian..

Enjoy the distinguished Corrine Brown from Florida's 5th congressional district...

[video=youtube;KgbBP9Em00A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KgbBP9Em00A[/video]

I honestly think it is a crap story for the most part but I am pretty sure that academic standards have a little something to do with it... I can just tell from the player interviews that you see in the SEC compared to the B1G... I am always refreshed when I see our athletes on camera speaking intelligently and intelligibly compared to the ones I see @ South Carolina, Georgia, Ole Miss etc...
Not just academic standards. The top programs in the SEC, Georgia excepted, are notorious for running off non-contributors so they can sign 25 recruits every season. Alabama brings in as many recruits in 4 years as Nebraska does in 5. That's a big advantage.

Obviously autism is an exception to that rule... you are just being a contrarian for the sake of being an contrarian..

Enjoy the distinguished Corrine Brown from Florida's 5th congressional district...

[video=youtube;KgbBP9Em00A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KgbBP9Em00A[/video]

Not being contrarian at all. There are many exceptions to the rule. The only problem I have is ...I did not know there was a rule to measure intelligence by how a person speaks. We have had presidents that could not say the word Nuclear. I surely wouldn't say he was not intelligent.

Many players we are talking about come from the hood. They are recruited for the play making ability. How they speak has more to do with culture than it does intelligence.
east coast west coast midwest and the south all have their own dialect. hell I'm a midwesterner that y'all would think is down right crazy
It's only my opinion and all y'all have yours.

Not just academic standards. The top programs in the SEC, Georgia excepted, are notorious for running off non-contributors so they can sign 25 recruits every season. Alabama brings in as many recruits in 4 years as Nebraska does in 5. That's a big advantage.

Indeed... Alabama and Saban specifically are 100% willing to string a kid along and then say, sorry I need you to attend a military prep school and come in the Spring or next Fall.... He also takes juniors and seniors that have never made it up the depth chart and kicks them off the team for all intents and purposes... (remember it is really 4 x 1 year scholarships). He just has the stones (lack of class if you ask me) to do that kind of thing to a kid.

Indeed... Alabama and Saban specifically are 100% willing to string a kid along and then say, sorry I need you to attend a military prep school and come in the Spring or next Fall.... He also takes juniors and seniors that have never made it up the depth chart and kicks them off the team for all intents and purposes... (remember it is really 4 x 1 year scholarships). He just has the stones (lack of class if you ask me) to do that kind of thing to a kid.

yet we have no problem when the "kid" does it. Kids say the will stay they are committed and BAM...sorry coach gotta go.

Yes it is all the coaches fault

When people realize college football is nothing more than a business then and only then will the frustration fall. It just so happens there are college coaches that are also good businessmen.

yet we have no problem when the "kid" does it. Kids say the will stay they are committed and BAM...sorry coach gotta go.

Yes it is all the coaches fault

When people realize college football is nothing more than a business then and only then will the frustration fall. It just so happens there are college coaches that are also good businessmen.

good businessmen should have ethics too... or do you not believe in that?

When you sit in that house with the kid and parents you promise that you will watch over them... not watch over them as long as they are producing on the field...

This certainly gets into the "win at all costs" vs "win the right way" dilemma. Who was the last "win the right way" coach to take a NC? Mack Brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back