• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked B1G Revenue Not Bringing Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wandering Nebraskan

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Interesting story on ESPN discussing why with all its financial resources the B1G has not been as successful as the SEC. In 2012 the B1G generated $315 million in revenue vs. $270 for the SEC. Ohio State and Michigan have as much money as the top SEC schools and similar access to recruits, but not as great of success in the last decade. Is it just bad luck (coaching with Michigan and scandals with Ohio State) or something else?
No real answers in the story but some good info read nonetheless. http://espn.go.com/college-football...g-big-revenue-no-national-championships-sight

I honestly think it is a crap story for the most part but I am pretty sure that academic standards have a little something to do with it... I can just tell from the player interviews that you see in the SEC compared to the B1G... I am always refreshed when I see our athletes on camera speaking intelligently and intelligibly compared to the ones I see @ South Carolina, Georgia, Ole Miss etc...

1. coaching
2. Recruiting base

I personally think that the upper tier of SEC schools have better coaching than the BIG.
It's obvious that they have the richest recruiting bed in the country to cultivate and harvest talent from.

As far as Ohio State is concerned. I think Urb will have them on par with the upper tier SEC schools for the most part.
I am not sold on Hoke at Michigan, I don't see them that much better off than us in the long run with him at the helm.

Penn State has their struggles well documented.
MSU is a average football program. good but not great.
Wisconsin lost their coach to the SEC, we will see in time if Anderson is game and can keep them where they were at.

The wild card is Nebraska and Michigan, both programs have the facilties and storied history to elevate their games to playing top 15 to top 10 year in year out with opportunities to play in the top 5 but we have to get "excellent coaching" from recruiting, development and "in game" coaching. Will the BIG ever be able to out do the SEC when it comes to BCS bowls and results, probably not but they can sure compete better than we are now.

I honestly think it is a crap story for the most part but I am pretty sure that academic standards have a little something to do with it... I can just tell from the player interviews that you see in the SEC compared to the B1G... I am always refreshed when I see our athletes on camera speaking intelligently and intelligibly compared to the ones I see @ South Carolina, Georgia, Ole Miss etc...
Excellent point. They really didn't discuss that in the article. I know that the APR scores are similar between the SEC and B1G but those really doesn't speak to the underlying rigor of the course work. Would be interesting to see differences in admittance requirements. That stuff is definitely public information.

not sure why its a crap story, doesnt it just confirm that money can't buy you love? It might be able to buy you loving but that's another story. The Big is great at bringing in revenue right now. Fantastic. As far as winning big time football games, the SEC is on top right now and Coaching & recruiting has alot to do with it.

Excellent point. They really didn't discuss that in the article. I know that the APR scores are similar between the SEC and B1G but those really doesn't speak to the underlying rigor of the course work. Would be interesting to see differences in admittance requirements. That stuff is definitely public information.

Stanford has really been struggling of late with all of their academic standards as well. ;)

Stanford has really been struggling of late with all of their academic standards as well. ;)

If you are a kid with excellent academic standing coming out of HS chances are you are already smart enough to know that while you may dream about going to the NFL... the chances are not nearly as great as many HS superstars (who go to the SEC often) would think... Therefore you can go to a school that has produced plenty of NFL talent over the past few years but also get a piece of paper from one of the most prestigious academic institutions in the country at the same time...

I know where I would want my kid to go...

I would also be willing to bet that Alabama has guys at third string right now as juniors and seniors that could have chosen say Louisville or Okie State and be viable NFL prospects now... There are countless guys that go to Bama because they are the best team but get lost in the shuffle as they get older because of gray shirting and Saban's willingness to always play the best man over seniority.

Last edited:
One of the top coaches in the Big 10 (Bielema) leaves for a middling SEC school...to me speaks volumes. Better athletes, better coaching.

If you are a kid with excellent academic standing coming out of HS chances are you are already smart enough to know that while you may dream about going to the NFL... the chances are not nearly as great as many HS superstars (who go to the SEC often) would think... Therefore you can go to a school that has produced plenty of NFL talent over the past few years but also get a piece of paper from one of the most prestigious academic institutions in the country at the same time...

I know where I would want my kid to go...

I would also be willing to bet that Alabama has guys at third string right now as juniors and seniors that could have chosen say Louisville or Okie State and be viable NFL prospects now... There are countless guys that go to Bama because they are the best team but get lost in the shuffle as they get older because of gray shirting and Saban's willingness to always play the best man over seniority.
I knew the "academic standards" excuse was coming so I just pointed out that Stanford seems to find enough players to field a pretty damn good football program of late. This article was simply stating that the BIG is bringing in tons of money but its isnt translating into on field results like the SEC. You asked why? I answered by saying Coaching and Recruiting. it really is simple.

What Stanford has done is awesome. They've pulled sort of a reverse-SEC, using their academic prominence to sway recruits. Very few places have that sort of academic cache coupled with a commitment to football.

Last edited:
What Stanford has done is awesome. They've pulled a reverse-SEC, using their academic prominence to sway recruits. Very few places have that sort of academic cache coupled with a commitment to football.
having time to reflect on my post, I probably shouldnt have brought this point to the table. :Biggrin: having said that, academic standards would be very low on the list as to why the BIG is not performing like the SEC inspite of the fact that they have the revenue that they have.

yes because intelligence is always measured by how folk talk....Good god

Welcome to 1903 America. To the left you will see....NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back