• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G Quarterback Quandary

coherbie

Booster of Substance
20 Year Member
Took a long hike this afternoon & on the way back, rather than think more about gamestop, started thinking about something less confusing - QB transfers. & Why is DONU the only team impacted by this ;) ... Obviously, I began by thinking about Nebraska... & where Luke might wind up. Then thought where might his brother Dylan McCaffrey (formerly at michigan) end up... of course when I think of michigan, my mind always thinks of Ohio State & thought, wow, sure would've been nice had Joe Burrow transferred to DONU from the Buckeyes, must have left quite a hole - whoops Justin Fields, who transferred in to tOSU from Georgia. Surely must be a rarity in the SEC, then remembered Tualia Taguvaloa is transferring to Maryland (also Udinski, a QB from VMI) & Lance LeGendre is transferring out of Maryland. Rutgers seems to be a foster home for transfer QBs (Vedral), then I remembered that Will Levis is transferring from PSU & Rocky Lombardi left MSU. Well, we must be the only ones impacted in our division, then I remembered Peyton Ramsey, who transferred from Indiana to NW, who also just got Hunter Johnson from Clemson... & Brandon Peters transferred from Michigan to Illinois, seem to recall Purdue getting a QB Austin Burton (from UCLA) & read where an Iowa backup QB transferred out (Peyton Mansell)...+ Jack Coen from Wisconsin is in the portal - which made me think all the way back to grad transfer Russell Wilson ...& 2011 when the grad transfer / immediate eligibility all began - how time flies ... no longer having to sit out a year seems to have been a catalyst for all transfers. Thankfully I was almost home as my brain started to hurt just thinking of our old rival OU - Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Trevor Knight, Mordecai, Morris...:O O::Biggrin:

certainly not a comprehensive list, but my unscientific conclusion - transfer troubles appear ubiquitous & not always a bad thing.

Took a long hike this afternoon & on the way back, rather than think more about gamestop, started thinking about something less confusing - QB transfers. & Why is DONU the only team impacted by this ;) ... Obviously, I began by thinking about Nebraska... & where Luke might wind up. Then thought where might his brother Dylan McCaffrey (formerly at michigan) end up... of course when I think of michigan, my mind always thinks of Ohio State & thought, wow, sure would've been nice had Joe Burrow transferred to DONU from the Buckeyes, must have left quite a hole - whoops Justin Fields, who transferred in to tOSU from Georgia. Surely must be a rarity in the SEC, then remembered Tualia Taguvaloa is transferring to Maryland (also Udinski, a QB from VMI) & Lance LeGendre is transferring out of Maryland. Rutgers seems to be a foster home for transfer QBs (Vedral), then I remembered that Will Levis is transferring from PSU & Rocky Lombardi left MSU. Well, we must be the only ones impacted in our division, then I remembered Peyton Ramsey, who transferred from Indiana to NW, who also just got Hunter Johnson from Clemson... & Brandon Peters transferred from Michigan to Illinois, seem to recall Purdue getting a QB Austin Burton (from UCLA) & read where an Iowa backup QB transferred out (Peyton Mansell)...+ Jack Coen from Wisconsin is in the portal - which made me think all the way back to grad transfer Russell Wilson ...& 2011 when the grad transfer / immediate eligibility all began - how time flies ... no longer having to sit out a year seems to have been a catalyst for all transfers. Thankfully I was almost home as my brain started to hurt just thinking of our old rival OU - Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Trevor Knight, Mordecai, Morris...:O O::Biggrin:

certainly not a comprehensive list, but my unscientific conclusion - transfer troubles appear ubiquitous & not always a bad thing.
Wow good post! It’s true especially at the quarterback position. Only one can play. It’s going to be hard to have two good QB’s unless there’s two or three years between them.

Are all of threes transferees working on a bona fide degree, or are they just playing pro ball? The reason I ask is, ordinarily, P5 schools are going to be pretty rigid on what courses they will accept, and I highly doubt that ANY accept junior or senior level coursework from another institution.
Now I realize the concept of a student athlete is often a complete farce and rules are made to broken. I’m just curious if the schools are even pretending to uphold the student athlete ideal any more, or if the whole deal has denigrated into pro sports, the heck with the details.

Last edited:
Jack Coen from Wisconsin is in the portal

Jack Coan is with Notre Dame. He's the odds on favorite to be their starting QB. Good get. He's the type of QB I'd like to see at Nebraska.

Great thoughts,and I agree.

Nothing like being thoughtful and honest
Great post

Must have been a heck of a hike. When I hike, words like ubiquitous are out of reach and monosyllable words never happen. But it does make ones head spin. NW got one and looking like 2 team improving QB transfers. I'm wondering if the already established programs with a clear identity play into it. Also, using NW, what a great scholastic reason. Or, wanting that lightening in a can instant game improver like Spencer Riley (there was a reason stoops stepped down when he did because he know the program would lose Riley to another team if he stayed around longer).
MSU, while I am sure many Spartan fans are complaining about a "starter" transferring out-Lombardi. To be nice the the kid, he was gutsy, gave it his all player who provided some spark initially but didn't have the looks of a P5 star QB. Being nice to LM, he looked to me like the same as Lombardi, except faster and more athletic-but not a P5 superstar QB.

This perhaps belongs in another thread, but all of these NFL wannabes are gonna have to arrive at the same conclusion I had to come to in 7th. grade-I ain't gonna be what I dreamed. I think so many of these guys believe what they've been whispered to about their abilities. Personally, don't care if they squander a chance to stay at a school and get a great education to chase a dream-but it's a shame if they do.

Now I'll go on my morning hike? and be pretty sure I have less brain activity you have

great post and thread tho...thanks.

Last edited:
Robinson and Luke McCaffrey were both highly touted.

“There's no doubt in my mind that Luke McCaffrey is the future around here,” Frost said.

Transfers by school since July 2020

Big Ten West
Nebraska: 15
Illinois: 9
Northwestern: 8
Iowa: 7
Minnesota: 6
Wisconsin: 3
Purdue: 3

Plus high decommit numbers.

Thanks Scott !

T4akb3n.png

Last edited:
Last edited:

Since this is a thread on QBs what the McKewon of the OWH wrote about is pertinent:

"McCaffrey instead became the 12th quarterback to leave Nebraska in a decade, including multi-game starters such as Noah Vedral and Cody Green."

Frustration, COVID and losing: Why Wan'Dale Robinson and Luke McCaffrey left Nebraska | Football | omaha.com

It would be interesting to see how that compares to other B1G teams for the same period.
I haven’t looked it up but I’m assuming that every school has a QB transfer almost every year.

Wow good post! It’s true especially at the quarterback position. Only one can play. It’s going to be hard to have two good QB’s unless there’s two or three years between them.
Yup, keep recruiting one each year until one jumps off the map and says I'm you're multi-year starter. Seems to be many busts at QB. Lots of pre-madonna head cases as well. I really just hate the ME ME ME attitude these days, carry on.

I think you need to get it to where it's a good thing for your program. Will Farniok, Jahkeem Green, people like that to clear room for more incoming players is a very good thing. Teams like Notre Dame, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, they all do it. I think that's where people are getting a bit confused. Nebraska needs to be in there as well processing people out. Quantity is one thing, but drilling down to who is leavig is the bigger issue. Again, ESPN doesn't spend a 10 minute segment on a morning show about all of Nebraska's attrition and how bad we are doing because we are in the same boat as other teams. There's something off.

With that said, there's only two players that worry me and then the 2020 class thing. We have to be the only team in the country to lose their top offensive producer in two straight years. That's a problem. Luke worries me from the standpoint he committed here knowing he would have to wait out Martinez, all of a sudden that thought process changed. And lastly, we had the most guys from the 2020 recruiting class transfer out in the conference with 5. The next closest had 2. So the whole "well Covid..." and whatever excuse is debunked. That 2020 class situation absolutely can not happen.

All of the other people on top of the three I mentioned are window dressing. Robinson, McCaffrey, and the 2020 recruits are the issue.

Last edited:
I think you need to get it to where it's a good thing for your program. Will Farniok, Jahkeem Green, people like that to clear room for more incoming players is a very good thing. Teams like Notre Dame, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, they all do it. I think that's where people are getting a bit confused. Nebraska needs to be in there as well processing people out. Quantity is one thing, but drilling down to who is leavig is the bigger issue. Again, ESPN doesn't spend a 10 minute segment on a morning show about all of Nebraska's attrition and how bad we are doing because we are in the same boat as other teams. There's something off.

With that said, there's only two players that worry me and then the 2020 class thing. We have to be the only team in the country to lose their top offensive producer in two straight years. That's a problem. Luke worries me from the standpoint he committed here knowing he would have to wait out Martinez, all of a sudden that thought process changed. And lastly, we had the most guys from the 2020 recruiting class transfer out in the conference with 5. The next closest had 2. So the whole "well Covid..." and whatever excuse is debunked. That 2020 class situation absolutely can not happen.

All of the other people on top of the three I mentioned are window dressing. Robinson, McCaffrey, and the 2020 recruits are the issue.
IMO people can downplay his ability or playing time all they want, but losing Warner is a big deal. Captains should not be transferring from the program.

Last edited:

That I agree with. Losing Wan’Dale and McCaffrey sucks. No doubt. There’s no way to spin it. I don’t know that we always have to be looking for someone to blame. Can we get better at retention? Of course. I think Frost agrees and that’s why we’re going to see a change in the Development position.

I do feel better knowing that we also used the portal to our advantage and got. wide receiver in Toure that probably helps us more than Wan’Dale (no disrespect to WR1). And we got Stepp who will be a huge addition to this offense. Kolarevic at LB is a tackling machine. And we’re probably not done yet.

IMO people can downplay his ability or playing time all they want, but losing Warner is a big deal. Captains should not be transferring from the program.
I really don’t want to sound disrespectful to Warner because he’s a great kid, but he did the right thing for himself and did us a favor by transferring. The fact that he was a captain speaks to his character, not his ability. He was not going to get playing time in 2021. I wish him the best.

I get that. Captain starter transferred. But in my opinion he isn't helping us win championships so i'm not going to get too bent out of shape there. He's an issue when I lump everyone together. I can see both sides with him though. As I said before, i'm really interested that when Frost made this statement that meant that the captain starter Warner was one of the guys left out, especially since he was Martinez's "safety blanket" in years prior:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back