• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G in talks: // 20 Teams // No Divisions // 10-game Sched. // Pay Players?

If they pay players, will that come out of the TV revenue paid to the schools? That would be big hit to athletic programs budget!
I think they will leave NIL to play the star players more and implement any sort of pay to the players as something like an equal salary for all players at $24K a year or so. $2K a month is big money to a kid in college whose housing is taken care of. That’s $2 million per school if you’re talking about 85 scholarships players. That’s football. Then let’s say another $2 million earmarked so that men‘s and women’s sports get equal money per title 9. So $4 million per school maybe given to players’ ”salaries.” That’s $80 million for the 16 team conference. Maybe the conference says there’s a $100 million salary pool divided among the schools. Somewhere in that ball park.

Compared to what they were getting before and will be getting now, all the schools will be getting a major windfall. Seems only fair to pay the players. If it wasn’t for them there would be no “content” to sell to CBS, NBC, FOX, et al.

Last edited:

I think the conference will strike a deal with the players and so it would come from the conference not each school. Yes it will result in less money to the schools. And yes it would have to be equal among men and women. So if 85 football players are getting paid, and 11 basketball players, you have to get 96 women from among those sports. 96 players *$24K each, that’s $2.34 million… Not much considering what’s now coming in. So you could probably pay every athlete at the school $24K a year and still be under $5 million per school. Double it. $10 million. Still doable.

If you paid 100 players 50k each it’s 5 million. Chump change.

oh its gonna be 50, just not ending with a k.

Its gonna be 50/50 split revenue and unionization.....

kev and these univ presidents are going to ruin one of the last sports i watch....

No no and no. Tieing into pods or divisions is what’s preventing the best from getting in. Why create more. The BIG is a great example. The majority of the time our best two teams are in the same division. But instead we throw a west team in there.
There won't be anything to worry about getting into.

If BIG and SEC each add 4 more it becomes more like what Duck is saying. NFL like with 8 divisions, except with 5 teams each.

BIG north, south, east, and west winners and SEC north, south, east and west winners all advance to their own playoff outside of the NCAA. Then toss in some wild cards of the next best records.

This type of playoff would generate an estimated $2B per season to only be shared by 40 teams. That's another $50M per team.

The question is who is going to stop something like this from happening if the two conferences want to do it. They are already most of the way there with only a few more teams to pluck.

If you pay the men you have to pay the women or face a title 9 suit
That's a bit of a stretch. Nobody is getting denied participated or discriminated from participation. If anything, it opens up more opportunities with bigger athletic department budgets.

Now if the players start talking about revenue sharing and it takes everything from the athletic department and causes cuts to other sports then maybe there is an issue.

My thinking exactly - gets ND in the hot seat AND increases top tier inventory. Much like the NFL, a few losses don’t necessarily eliminate teams that may start slow but improve as the season progresses.

May also presage the Big Ten’s (and likely the SEC’s) break from the NCAA and essentially creating their own leagues whose champions could meet in a college “Superbowl.” Even the non-conference games could be Big Ten vs. SEC, much like the AFC vs. NFC regular season games.

Not saying I necessarily like this, but I could see it happening…
This is sounding like not just a break from the NCAA, but a break from the University system altogether, with a move towards NFL Lite League. This league would be made up of the 5-star and upper 4-star players straight out of high school. This would also help those players with great potential in professional football, but may have some problems with grades. Grades would no longer matter (or attending class, for that matter).

Universities could still have football, but the teams would be made up of 3-star players straight out of high school, who don't feel they will be going to the NFL anyway (most student/athletes go pro in something other than professional sports). This would put the "student" back in student/athlete. Most of the big bucks would go toward the NFL Lite League and the University teams would look more like what us old people would recognize.

That's a bit of a stretch. Nobody is getting denied participated or discriminated from participation. If anything, it opens up more opportunities with bigger athletic department budgets.

Now if the players start talking about revenue sharing and it takes everything from the athletic department and causes cuts to other sports then maybe there is an issue.
Exactly what budget other than athletic would you pay them?

There won't be anything to worry about getting into.

If BIG and SEC each add 4 more it becomes more like what Duck is saying. NFL like with 8 divisions, except with 5 teams each.

BIG north, south, east, and west winners and SEC north, south, east and west winners all advance to their own playoff outside of the NCAA. Then toss in some wild cards of the next best records.

This type of playoff would generate an estimated $2B per season to only be shared by 40 teams. That's another $50M per team.

The question is who is going to stop something like this from happening if the two conferences want to do it. They are already most of the way there with only a few more teams to pluck.
I don’t doubt the money and direction. I don’t like the idea of divisions/pods. It allows too many automatic qualifiers from weaker divisions. That explains why so many conferences are headed the direction of no divisions.

The NFL is not a model for NCAA as they will never be able to control who is in what conference, what the schedule is, how much you can spend to get your players and the equalization of talent through a draft and trade approvals. If there are 4 super conferences and 16 teams in the playoff there is no way the SEC…..or even the B1G is gonna want a system where they only get the same number of playoff spots as the ACC or the PAC/big12.

oh its gonna be 50, just not ending with a k.

Its gonna be 50/50 split revenue and unionization.....

kev and these univ presidents are going to ruin one of the last sports i watch....
The revenue would have to be “after expenses and the Universities would be able to show all the expense of facilities and most likely taxes on the front side of the 50/50 revenue split. It would have a chance of losing its non profit status.

These are the voyages of the B1G ship. Its future schedule mission: to explore strange CFB worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

These are the voyages of the B1G ship. Its future schedule mission: to explore strange CFB worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
6qkbs7.gif

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if in this environment of desperately monetizing TV ratings schools will always get to receive equal shares.

I loved original Star Trek episodes. Repeat numerous episodes. My favorite was "The City on the Edge of Forever".

Kirk's final line in the episode, "Let's get the hell out of here" caused problems for the crew as the network did not want the word "hell" to appear in television episodes. Both Shatner and Roddenberry fought for the line to remain, with Roddenberry claiming to NBC that no other word would be suitable to be used instead. The studio executives reluctantly agreed that it could be left in, and it was one of the first occasions in which the word "hell" was used as profanity on television.

....... today, laughable

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back