• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G in talks: // 20 Teams // No Divisions // 10-game Sched. // Pay Players?

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member

More smoke for the expansion / realignment fire. If the OSU AD and B1G Kevin are to be believed, than the Big Ten is talking about:
  • expanding to 20 teams
  • paying players
  • not scheduling conference games more than a year in advance
  • 10-game conference schedule
  • eliminating divisions

A 10 game conference slate allows more flexibility for rotating through every team in the conference, and faster. No divisions and not pre-scheduling games out for years ahead also paves the way for a new team to pop in quickly and not have to reinvent the divisional alignment and everybody else's calendars.

Last edited:

Expansion is always a discussion point ... I'm a bit surprised (and then again I'm not) that expansion has not been resolved prior to signing the media deals. It (expansion) is never going to away but I would think if something big (Miami, Oregon, Notre Dame) they would have tried to resolve them before contracts are announced.

Expansion is always a discussion point ... I'm a bit surprised (and then again I'm not) that expansion has not been resolved prior to signing the media deals. It (expansion) is never going to away but I would think if something big (Miami, Oregon, Notre Dame) they would have tried to resolve them before contracts are announced.

That's partially why the B1G contracts has escalator clauses. If they sign Notre Dame or Miami tomorrow, the conference can go back to NBC / CBS / FOX and demand more money.

More smoke for the expansion / realignment fire. If the OSU AD and B1G Kevin are to be believed, than the Big Ten is talking about:
  • expanding to 20 teams
  • paying players
  • not scheduling conference games more than a year in advance
  • 10-game conference schedule
  • eliminating divisions

A 10 game conference slate allows more flexibility for rotating through every team in the conference, and faster. No divisions and not pre-scheduling games out for years ahead also paves the way for a new team to pop in quickly and not have to reinvent the divisional alignment and everybody else's calendars.

The expanded schedule would put pressure on Notre Dame, subtly. Some of their traditional foes would not have much flexibility to play them.

It creates more inventory (of quality games) for the media rights.

The biggest downside would be more losses distributed to the top teams, impacting postseason chances. I think a top 2 teams championship game gets less logical, and ignoring logistics taking the top 4 conference teams is more reasonable. But the real issue is that this model would fold into a restructured postseason format where a conference loss or two doesn’t keep you out, and there are more overall seats at the table (16 team tourney?). I’m wondering if the conference championships become a subset of a larger tournament (could be as simple as the Big 10 and SEC each having their own tournament and the two champions playing each other).

If they pay players, will that come out of the TV revenue paid to the schools? That would be big hit to athletic programs budget!

The expanded schedule would put pressure on Notre Dame, subtly. Some of their traditional foes would not have much flexibility to play them.

It creates more inventory (of quality games) for the media rights.

The biggest downside would be more losses distributed to the top teams, impacting postseason chances. I think a top 2 teams championship game gets less logical, and ignoring logistics taking the top 4 conference teams is more reasonable. But the real issue is that this model would fold into a restructured postseason format where a conference loss or two doesn’t keep you out, and there are more overall seats at the table (16 team tourney?). I’m wondering if the conference championships become a subset of a larger tournament (could be as simple as the Big 10 and SEC each having their own tournament and the two champions playing each other).
My thinking exactly - gets ND in the hot seat AND increases top tier inventory. Much like the NFL, a few losses don’t necessarily eliminate teams that may start slow but improve as the season progresses.

May also presage the Big Ten’s (and likely the SEC’s) break from the NCAA and essentially creating their own leagues whose champions could meet in a college “Superbowl.” Even the non-conference games could be Big Ten vs. SEC, much like the AFC vs. NFC regular season games.

Not saying I necessarily like this, but I could see it happening…

I think the landscape has changed so much that both the Big Ten and ND might be a bit more flexible towards one another. I wouldn't be shocked if at some point in the future that ND may become an associate member somewhat similar to what they do with the ACC.

They play 5 ACC opponents per season. I could see them doing something like six Big Ten games, with a game or two being annual, such as USC.

I think the conference would have balked at the prospect in the past. Not so sure they would now.

That's partially why the B1G contracts has escalator clauses. If they sign Notre Dame or Miami tomorrow, the conference can go back to NBC / CBS / FOX and demand more money.
I am very curious as to the exact lanaguage of these escalator clauses. Are they vague, like upon the addition of more teams in the conference the parties will be required to renogiate terms related to those additions. Or are they more specific, like if 2 two join then this or even more specific with separate addendums for schools or pairs of schools with exact numbers that the contract "escalates" to?

Either way, the faster Bend, Eugene, and Florence become part of B1G country the better!

if 20 teams is the goal, there are 4 PAC schools that fit the bill. The B1G might be saying to ND, be one of the 4, or Cal gets your place. And with 10 conference games, no B1G will schedule ND as a non conference game.

I think the landscape has changed so much that both the Big Ten and ND might be a bit more flexible towards one another. I wouldn't be shocked if at some point in the future that ND may become an associate member somewhat similar to what they do with the ACC.

They play 5 ACC opponents per season. I could see them doing something like six Big Ten games, with a game or two being annual, such as USC.

I think the conference would have balked at the prospect in the past. Not so sure they would now.
The common alignment with NBC is not insignificant. I would argue Notre Dame and the Big 10 are postured for a ‘next time around’ expansion merger. I think there are one or two Pac-12 teams who have the impression they’re on the short list and likely to be invited to a 20 team league. It would be odd to have USC/UCLA and ignore adding some more teams in the west.

I believe the next round of expansion will include a large change to the postseason which will be the excuse for Notre Dame to come in. They would compromise access otherwise. And ND joining is the catalyst for the Pac12 teams getting invited.

The possibility of getting any ACC teams is a wildcard. Right now that looks less likely. I imagine the SEC is going to try to make some kind of splash after being overshadowed by the B1G moves. I don’t think any obvious expansion options fit that bill, and assuming the ACC is off the table that’s certainly true.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back