• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Athlon - Will Nebraska Make a Bowl Game in Scott Frost's First Season?

That is highly possible as they have recognized our short comings quicker than us the last few years.
I just think that's the number that they can more evenly split the action on both sides. Vegas doesn't care how we do. They just want more bets around a number.

Regarding the OP, I'm confident that HCSF will get the team to a bowl game.

I also understand and share the tempered expectations for the upcoming season. Lot of things can happen between now and Sept 1st, let alone Black Friday, November. Most immediate and positive impact would be getting Dixon approved to play in the fall.

All that said and after swilling some kool-aide, my best case scenario for the 2018 is an 8 - 4 finish & seeing what Scott Frost did w/ UCF in the Peach Bowls, I like our chances in post season play too.

Here is my 'wishful thinking in late April' after breaking the upcoming season down into three phases:

09/01 Akron W
09/08 Colorado W
09/15 Troy W
Nonconference: 3-0

09/22 @ Michigan L
09/29 Purdue W
10/06 @ Wisconsin L
10/13 @ Northwestern W
Middle: 2 - 2

10/20 Minnesota W
11/03 @ Ohio St. L
11/10 Illinois W
11/17 Michigan St. L
11/23 @ Iowa W
Down the stretch: 3 - 2

GBR!!

Feel pretty good about 6-6. Anything north of that will be hard earned, though if I had to forecast today I would say 7-5.

At 9-3 and better I would shine Scott Frost's car for the rest of my life.

0b43a0d5-b285-4e31-81ed-90d7327f071a_screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
Not the goal but the game, Not the victory but the action.

In this interview before SF's first game as a HC at UCF, when asked what he would be looking forward to in his 1st game as a HC, SF said he would take in some of the pageantry that goes along with CF but the thing he would look forward to the most is the competition. He said the reason he and his coaches are in this business is because they love to compete.

Yep, it is not about the victory as much as it is about the game and the action....it's all about being given the opportunity to compete...and you can bet your life SF will have his team ready to compete in every game.

Like N2fl said, SF's team in year 2 will consistently make good plays better than they will in year one, but NU will have its fair share of good plays in year one.

I don't care what NU's record is in 2018. I am already convinced NU has the right HC. He doesn't have to prove anything.

I am just glad that I will be able to see NU play at least 12 times this year. I will enjoy pulling for them and watching them compete. That's enough for me. I won't need a need a certain number of wins to be satisfied. Great effort, seeing the kids have fun, seeing progress...that should be enough.

SF said that for a team that is not used to winning (like UCF in 2016 and NU this year) to become a team that wins a lot, they must go through a progression...1st step is to believe they can win, next step is to know they can win, and ultimately they must expect to win.

I am hoping (and expecting) that in his first season, SF can at least get his team to believe they can win...every game. And if they compete in every game like they believe they can win it, for me, that would constitute a great season for a team that went 4-8 last year.

At the UCF camp I discovered that SF never talked about goals like championships and number of wins. Just like John Wooden and Tome Osborne, his only focus was on the process of getting better every day. One step back, followed by 2 steps forward will eventually lead to championships.

For this season and every season that follows, SF will only be seeking 2 things...continual improvement and the opportunity to compete.

Last edited:
9-3, with one of those losses just a kick away.......
It will be quite Frosty for the next decade or two folks. Bundle up.

Regarding the OP, I'm confident that HCSF will get the team to a bowl game.

I also understand and share the tempered expectations for the upcoming season. Lot of things can happen between now and Sept 1st, let alone Black Friday, November. Most immediate and positive impact would be getting Dixon approved to play in the fall.

All that said and after swilling some kool-aide, my best case scenario for the 2018 is an 8 - 4 finish & seeing what Scott Frost did w/ UCF in the Peach Bowls, I like our chances in post season play too.

Here is my 'wishful thinking in late April' after breaking the upcoming season down into three phases:

09/01 Akron W
09/08 Colorado W
09/15 Troy W
Nonconference: 3-0

09/22 @ Michigan L
09/29 Purdue W
10/06 @ Wisconsin L
10/13 @ Northwestern W
Middle: 2 - 2

10/20 Minnesota W
11/03 @ Ohio St. L
11/10 Illinois W
11/17 Michigan St. L
11/23 @ Iowa W
Down the stretch: 3 - 2

GBR!!
I can see this happening, but IMHO, it's the worst case scenario. I think at least a couple of those Ls will be Ws.

Margin for error is razor thin with the schedule. I think we could make a bowl, but this year is more about trying to get on track after years of being well off it across way too many areas in the program . . . and putting the foundation in place to get much better in year two and three. We could lose a fair number of games, but look a ton better doing it. If we only win 5, stumble against one of the toss-ups, but give Wisky, CU, tOSU, Michigan, Michigan St. and Iowa all they could handle in close/competitive losses then I'll consider that absolute progress.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back