• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Assuming he succeeds, does Rhule stay at Nebraska?

Rhule specifically addressed recruiting in the interview to which I linked. He said that was his biggest question about coming to Nebraska and that a lot of people told him to wait for a job in Texas or Florida. But he indicated that he has found that he can recruit to Nebraska (and he added that there is significant local talent). So we get back to the insincerity question. Unless he is lying about that, that wouldn't be his reason to leave.
Lying and insincerity are too strong of words for something like this. A position like his requires salesmanship to build belief. Of course he's going to say he's finding he can recruit to Nebraska.

Would you rather he say, "You know this recruiting class I'm announcing today? They're ok, but definitely not good enough to win more than 9 games regularly. But don't worry. I hope to coach them up and win 8 - 9 games and then I'll be able to recruit better players! Oh and by the way, I just told my agent to tell Penn State I'm interested, if they call. But until then, Nebraska fans, Go Big Red!"

Remember also people may say something like they're "...Getting the players they want", then change their mind later. The reality is most people's opinion about everything is tentative and conditional, basically until the day they die. That doesn't make everyone insincere liars.

Last edited:
Lying and insincerity are too strong of words for something like this. A position like his requires salesmanship to build belief. Of course he's going to say he's finding he can recruit to Nebraska.

Would you rather he say, "You know this recruiting class I'm announcing today? They're ok, but definitely not good enough to win more than 9 games regularly. But don't worry. I hope to coach them up and win 8 - 9 games and then I'll be able to recruit better players! Oh and by the way, I just told my agent to tell Penn State I'm interested, if they call. But until then, Nebraska fans, Go Big Red!"

Remember also people may say something like they're "...Getting the players they want", then change their mind later. The reality is most people's opinion about everything is tentative and conditional, basically until the day they die. That doesn't make everyone insincere liars.
Didn't we already have that coach? ;)

If Matt finds the success we all believe he will, and his family is happy - I believe he stays. It's the stage of life he's at right now.
I'd be more worried, if despite all best efforts things don't turn out well. He was fired at Carolina and that has a profound affect on some people. If after 4-5 years, and it's just not happening, he might look for a soft place to land with lower expectations and pressure. He will be able to ride off into his future and retirement.
I, for one, hope he becomes legendary at Nebraska and takes a place in our history which rivals coaches Bob and Tom.

Last edited:

I always enjoy Husker fans starting threads with the underlying idea being that if a coach brings Nebraska back to where it is consistently winning program that the state, school, and program aren't good enough to keep them.

Granted we have gotten pretty good at bringing them in and then firing after a few years...

I always enjoy Husker fans starting threads with the underlying idea being that if a coach brings Nebraska back to where it is consistently winning program that the state, school, and program aren't good enough to keep them.

Granted we have gotten pretty good at bringing them in and then firing after a few years...
I think we should just fire Rhule now to avoid the pain of possible rejection. ;)

This is a really good interview if you have 26 minutes and want to get started on your Kool-Aid drinking. I recommend it highly.

Close to the end of the interview, Rhule says that he wants to be at Nebraska and isn't looking to go anywhere else. That sounds great. But after witnessing Trev "Nebraska is my dream job" Alberts betray his alma mater, and after watching Jim Schlossnagle leave A&M for Texas literally hours after he stating that he "took the job at Texas A&M to never take another job again", should we believe Rhule?

I'd like to believe we should, but in this day and age it is hard to know.

He certainly doesn't have a history of staying put. But those other moves all were big jumps in both salary and competition. Those kinds of jumps likely won't be out there again.

I think the thing he needs to prove is sustained success. In the past he built a roster with young players, had a great season when that group became upperclassmen and then left before there was another turnover. Can ymhe go from a great year with Raiola and then transition to a new qb and sustain it? I hope that is something he strives for and will want to stick it out. And in the new era, they seem to have a plan where those transition years shouldn't be as harsh.

If he leaves, he must have had some success. I will worry about that if it comes to be. What I DO NOT want to see is we are at a point in a few years where he needs to be terminated and leaves that way. Been playing that game for too long.

He certainly doesn't have a history of staying put. But those other moves all were big jumps in both salary and competition. Those kinds of jumps likely won't be out there again.

I think the thing he needs to prove is sustained success. In the past he built a roster with young players, had a great season when that group became upperclassmen and then left before there was another turnover. Can ymhe go from a great year with Raiola and then transition to a new qb and sustain it? I hope that is something he strives for and will want to stick it out. And in the new era, they seem to have a plan where those transition years shouldn't be as harsh.
If you compare him to a younger at the time Urban Meyer and his climb through bigger programs and maintained successes, not necessarily building them but transitioning decent programs into conf and national champions is potentially comparable at some level.

Urban bounced from conference to conference and had success but never was that long term coach. Tough call here. If MR gets us near the top, will the challenge become to stay there here or go elsewhere to start anew.
Thats why I think the age thing is so important, find solace in that long term success

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back