• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Applauding The other team after the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it's one of the great traditions in college football. And for the cynics like Leach who think it's insincere because it typically comes after a win, the loudest applause I ever heard was directed at Ricky Williams after he lit up a pretty salty NU defense.

That's about exactly what I was going to write. We had just lost to Texas, and Williams gained a bunch of yards on us, and after the game the crowd IN MEMORIAL STADIUM was chanting that he should get the Heisman.

That's about exactly what I was going to write. We had just lost to Texas, and Williams gained a bunch of yards on us, and after the game the crowd IN MEMORIAL STADIUM was chanting that he should get the Heisman.

Lest anyone should doubt the veracity of my statement:

Ricky Williams walked into Memorial Stadium and into the Sea of Red, and walked out with an upset win and 150 yards rushing. The Huskers' invincibility -- also known as a 47-game home winning streak -- was gone. Nebraska fans knew what they had just seen, but had to show their respect. They chanted more than just Williams' first name, which became the name by which most remember him.

They resorted to another name.

"Heis-man! Heis-man! Heis-man!" they chanted.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/50615/ricky-williams-ran-into-history-in-1998

I was there that night...it wasn't just pockets of the stadium. It was LOUD. A sign of respect after the game for a player who had just carved us up.

Lest anyone should doubt the veracity of my statement:

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/50615/ricky-williams-ran-into-history-in-1998

I was there that night...it wasn't just pockets of the stadium. It was LOUD. A sign of respect after the game for a player who had just carved us up.

I was there too. I was in the south stands. I don't remember the Heisman chant, but I remember that a very loud burst of cheers directed my attention to the field as Ricky left. Husker fans appreciate an outstanding performance even when it comes from the opposing team. The only exception might be Eric Bieniemy after he lit us up for 4 TD's in the 4th quarter in 1990, but that's mostly because he ran down the sideline sticking his tongue out at the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back