• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Anyone drawn up our 2 deep, pre signing day roster for 2014 yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think Drew will beat out Bondi for fg/ep? That will be a good battle.

I know you asked *** but I would like to chime in...

I have seen plenty of film on Drew and he is very very talented... that being said... I fully expect him to red-shirt unless Bondi has a few early misses. Bondi is very very talented as well and has a big leg... He was only just beaten out by Smith and we all saw how good Smith turned out to be (compared to kickers nationally not our own ridiculous standard set at DONU).

The transition from HS to college in the kicking world can be a tough one at first... You use a kicking block for FGs and XPs in HS that adds significant height and distance... While Brown has been kicking in most Summer camps without one he will still need to work on getting the ball up a bit faster and limiting his first stutter step hitch (very slight but still must be worked on).

I think our kicking situation is in good shape for the next 5 years...

Last edited:

I have seen plenty of film on Drew and he is very very talented... that being said... I fully expect him to red-shirt unless Bondi has a few early misses. Bondi is very very talented as well and has a big leg... He was only just beaten out by Smith and we all saw how good Smith turned out to be (compared to kickers nationally not our own ridiculous standard set at DONU).

The transition from HS to college in the kicking world can be a tough one at first... You use a kicking block for FGs and XPs in HS that adds significant height and distance... While Brown has been kicking in most Summer camps without one he will still need to work on getting the ball up a bit faster and limiting his first stutter step hitch (very slight but still must be worked on).

You are the kicking expert around these parts so I will defer to you...

Bondi needs to get a little more consistent in my opinion if he wants field goal duties...

How is how many yards we gained not a good way to look at talent?

I guess we better hope we don't play teams with solid D's next year? And what do you mean messy conditions at Penn State? It was snowing and not even sticking to the ground, it was slightly cold but nothing crazy. If by messy you mean ground not being effected at all, then you would be right. Here's a video, just skip to the end where it's the fourth quarter and look at the jerseys having zero mud on them, maybe a few grass stains. They outgained us that game, and the field was fine...

Just so you are aware PSU has one of the best turf management companies in the US. It is my theory that they have a grass that doesn't leave grass stains.:Biggrin:

http://colleges.findthebest.com/d/o/Turf-and-Turfgrass-Management

I appreciate the info. I worked with high school kickers for 7 years and also worked at Nebraska kicking camps for 3 years and I agree with your statement on being different. I have not watched film on Drew so I like the insight you have on him. Do you know if Drew used a block in high school? I know some who kick on turf don't. Don't forget the uprights are also 6 ft narrower in college. I think this will be a good battle.

How is how many yards we gained not a good way to look at talent?

I guess we better hope we don't play teams with solid D's next year? And what do you mean messy conditions at Penn State? It was snowing and not even sticking to the ground, it was slightly cold but nothing crazy. If by messy you mean ground not being effected at all, then you would be right. Here's a video, just skip to the end where it's the fourth quarter and look at the jerseys having zero mud on them, maybe a few grass stains. They outgained us that game, and the field was fine...

Noted... not sure why I had in my mind that it was snowing harder.

Did RKIII start that game?

You are the kicking expert around these parts so I will defer to you...

Bondi needs to get a little more consistent in my opinion if he wants field goal duties...

Completely agree about his consistency. It is certainly why Smith got the nod this year. I think Bondi has the desire to be the man next year.

@ joncarl
regarding Brown using a block... footage during his senior year showed him using one but it may have only been a 1 inch which if that is the case is smart to transition from the 2 inch to eventually nothing. It seems like almost all the Texas schools are playing on turf these days at the bigger classes.

Noted... not sure why I had in my mind that it was snowing harder.

Did RKIII start that game?

Im not trying to rag on you as you're right, we played some good teams during that stretch, i just know there was a drop off when we started getting hit with the injuries (like there always will be). One thing I am really encouraged about, is these guys that will start next year, for the most part, are under Garrison teachings. I am not a hater of Barney, but I have seen some good things from Garrison, and we can't forget about Stai. I think kids will come along even quicker than they have in the past, which we will need...

Hopefully they have another option than Foltz at punter. He shanked way too many punts this year. Wouldn't take much to upgrade that position. I think the MNC game last night showed just how important a good punter can be to a team. But with our coaching staff's seemingly disregard for special teams, I'll bet they'll just stay with what they have.

I think Sam will improve considerably between now and next year. You have to remember that the guys last night were punting in optimal conditions... that was not the case for several games this year for Sam. He does have too many shanks and he will certainly need to work on his drop consistency to get the tight spirals that turn over but I think he has talent and I am nowhere near ready to give up on him.

Answering internet tg's question regarding how Phil Steele determines his returning starters.

I wrote to Phil Steele and here is what I got back: "As a rule of thumb the answer is 50% or more of the games that season, so 12 games would have to be 6 or more starts and this does apply to all positions equally and can/does apply to a player that covers more than one position. Sometimes Phil will make an adjustment for someone with less than that many starts. Thanks and have a great day Debbie"

Last edited:
Answering internet tg's question regarding how Phil Steele determines his returning starters.

I wrote to Phil Steele and here is what I got back: "As a rule of thumb the answer is 50% or more of the games that season, so 12 games would have to be 6 or more starts and this does apply to all positions equally and can/does apply to a player that covers more than one position. Sometimes Phil will make an adjustment for someone with less than that many starts. Thanks and have a great day Debbie"

Thanks for that. I was almost positive it didn't include just one or two starts but didn't know the exact number. Glad it kind of sheds light that I wasn't trying to skew the argument to my side...

Just thinking last night... I am excited to see how the Lewis situation plays out... If he joins the team for Spring ball.. him and Kondolo could really provide is us with some big times pieces in the power running game... Lewis is very very quick on the pull from what I have heard and Kondolo can be a complete road grader... Imagine that out in front of our backs..

Thanks. I know its a pretty big factor in his predictions.

Just thinking last night... I am excited to see how the Lewis situation plays out... If he joins the team for Spring ball.. him and Kondolo could really provide is us with some big times pieces in the power running game... Lewis is very very quick on the pull from what I have heard and Kondolo can be a complete road grader... Imagine that out in front of our backs..

So you think one, or both of them might unseat Cotton and Moudy? I would expect Lewis to start somewhere.

So you think one, or both of them might unseat Cotton and Moudy? I would expect Lewis to start somewhere.

Well as we saw this year... you can never have enough quality offensive linemen... I think Lewis would certainly play somewhere and Kondolo saw time with the 1s this season during practice. It would not shock me if they both won starting roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back