• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anton Gill, Louisville transfer to visit in May.

you are correct that TP and Pitch certainly didn't make the program worse. I think we all wish that was actually saying something though......considering the overall state of NU bball, thats not really saying much. :cry:

The season didn't come together. That's part of life when you don't have a program that is of a status that it reloads. Give the doom and gloom a rest. Let the man work. Transfers are about fit, just as recruits are. Some are hits, some are misses. Our last two were a little of both. If you have a team that has a solid core group and some strong freshmen coming in, you may not take in transfers. We aren't in that situation...yet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Louisville transfer <a href="https://twitter.com/anton_gill10">@anton_gill10</a> excited to see what <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nebrasketball?src=hash">#Nebrasketball</a> has to offer… ($) <a href="https://t.co/gcK8ejjp66">https://t.co/gcK8ejjp66</a> <a href="http://t.co/Rk58rFNmYg">pic.twitter.com/Rk58rFNmYg</a></p>&mdash; Robin Washut (@RobinWashut) <a href="https://twitter.com/RobinWashut/status/590603248152813568">April 21, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The season didn't come together. That's part of life when you don't have a program that is of a status that it reloads. Give the doom and gloom a rest. Let the man work. Transfers are about fit, just as recruits are. Some are hits, some are misses. Our last two were a little of both. If you have a team that has a solid core group and some strong freshmen coming in, you may not take in transfers. We aren't in that situation...yet.

and thats the whole point. we'll never get to this foundational point you refer to if every year, Miles keeps hitching wagons to castaways. Look, i get it. i'm not just spreading doom and gloom for the sake of it....I'm not as eloquent as you and many other posters on this site but i played college basketball and i know how it goes. turnover happens, but no matter, it doesn't take that long to build a culture and foundation in bball. You may not see it all translate to a 30 win year, but the vision of the headcoach can still be seen. What i don't see with Mile's program is any sign of a foundation. Whats the identity, whats his philosophy? whats his game? up tempo track meet or slow down possession team? the whole program feels scatter brain. so ya, it gives me pause when the whole team seems to turn over each year.

I can't pinpoint it exactly because obviously there are a ton of factors involved, but I don't get the sense that Miles has a plan. He seems to be jumping from one place to another, taking whoever will come along for the ride, even if its only for a year. His offense seems like nothing more then "well lets try this....oh that didn't work"...."lets try that....oh that didn't work"....."how about this...oh that didn't work".....I don't see player development. Moses looked worse 15 games in then he did at the start of the season. Fuller, a guy who i've seen practice and has the best looking shot on the team, was IMO misused horribly this year. the poor guy was on a roller coaster the entire season. Thankfully he didn't bail like TSmith did. but there i go with that doom and gloom again. I'm really not a negative person, and when it comes to NU bball, I try to be positive.

I just saw things on the court that indicated this season was WAY more then something that just didn't come together...IMO, of course.

GBR

and thats the whole point. we'll never get to this foundational point you refer to if every year, Miles keeps hitching wagons to castaways. Look, i get it. i'm not just spreading doom and gloom for the sake of it....I'm not as eloquent as you and many other posters on this site but i played college basketball and i know how it goes. turnover happens, but no matter, it doesn't take that long to build a culture and foundation in bball. You may not see it all translate to a 30 win year, but the vision of the headcoach can still be seen. What i don't see with Mile's program is any sign of a foundation. Whats the identity, whats his philosophy? whats his game? up tempo track meet or slow down possession team? the whole program feels scatter brain. so ya, it gives me pause when the whole team seems to turn over each year.

I can't pinpoint it exactly because obviously there are a ton of factors involved, but I don't get the sense that Miles has a plan. He seems to be jumping from one place to another, taking whoever will come along for the ride, even if its only for a year. His offense seems like nothing more then "well lets try this....oh that didn't work"...."lets try that....oh that didn't work"....."how about this...oh that didn't work".....I don't see player development. Moses looked worse 15 games in then he did at the start of the season. Fuller, a guy who i've seen practice and has the best looking shot on the team, was IMO misused horribly this year. the poor guy was on a roller coaster the entire season. Thankfully he didn't bail like TSmith did. but there i go with that doom and gloom again. I'm really not a negative person, and when it comes to NU bball, I try to be positive.

I just saw things on the court that indicated this season was WAY more then something that just didn't come together...IMO, of course.

GBR

I agree with a lot of these points but the good news is we have one of the best recruiting classes in Nebraska Basketball history coming in. If we can find a big man I see good things happening in the future. This year will be very telling for Tim Miles' future at Nebraska.

GBR

If you look at what Miles has done in the past, that should give you a fair idea of what he wants to do and how his teams will play. Like most good coaches, he's tweaked his systems to who he has playing. That notion was applauded when we were discussing the football team and Coach Riley, but for some reason, I see guys on the page thinking we need to always play a certain style. If you look at Mile's teams in the past, they tended to perform a great deal based on what they had on their roster. Some years he averaged quite a bit more than other years. Some years they did a little run and gun, others they were a bit more patient. When you have plenty of scorers you don't mind getting in those track meets, but if you lack that, you better make every possession count. That's basketball.

If you consider Miles first season, I thought he got about all he could out of the kids. Offense wasn't their forte, so they leaned harder on Doc Sadler's defensive core. When it came to recruiting in talent, he knew we had a serious void and getting Petteway and Pitch in the mix was a real plus. Your thinking that those guys weren't necessary and we should have simply focused on getting high schoolers isn't wrong, but Miles was facing a BIG schedule. He understood that many fans were lamenting bringing in 'another mid major guy', knowing the major complaint with the last one was he didn't change his recruiting formula in order to get the talent he needed to compete and tried to simply use mid major type players against power 5 talent. Miles took the opportunity for an immediate upgrade in physical talent. Was it the right call? Well, this season it didn't appear to be, but last season certainly had us believing it was. I thought Miles actually did a good job in figuring out how to get the most out of Pett and Pitch...last year. This year, I thought he failed completely in creating an offense that used the talents of his entire team, and I believe he see's the mistake he created by trying to accommodate individuals over team.

Since you played some ball in college, then I'll assume you had seasons that were far from identical. I played too, and we had seasons that were heavy with wing and post scoring, followed by a season that was heavy with scoring from the point, then another that was totally dominated by the wings. Had we not had a coach who recognized the personnel differences, and had the vision to try and adjust the offense slightly, I doubt we would have won 79 games in 3 seasons. In my mind, I saw Miles struggle to find the right mix because of two issues. First was he just didn't have any shooters. It sounds simple, but truthfully, if you don't have someone who can consistently hit from the perimeter, defenses can sag and help all day to slow down guys driving or trying to work inside. Second, I think he had some major personality conflicts on the team. One would think that should be something a coach can overcome, but having been in a situation where most of the team hated the best player, it puts a coach between a rock and a hard place. Unless you have enough talent to offset completely disrupting the team dynamic and benching the star, you have to try to play peacemaker all the time. And I don't mean to suggest that everyone hated Pette, but I do think there were numerous guys who thought he was more problem than he was worth.

As for his substitutions and getting playing time to some of the guys like Fuller, I think that was a byproduct of some of those feelings against the star player. There was a clique that wanted to do their thing and didn't seem to embrace the idea of expanding the roles of some players. You could see in the body language when some substitutions came in that it wasn't a popular move in the minds of some of the players. The comment about Moses is spot on, but he was hampered with some injuries if I remember correctly, and he also had the problem of being a strict, on the box type player. That's exactly where Pette wants to go, and when we talk about spacing, it's nearly impossible to get it when guys are all but driving right into their own players.

I'm actually excited to see some of what we can accomplish with a group with a slightly more 'team mentality'. I don't have any problem bringing in someone who can add to the depth as long as they have the right attitude and skillset to contribute. The kid from Brown sounds like a bit of a beefy inside player who doesn't demand a great deal of touches, which is perfect. The Louisville kid is a bit of a question mark, but Miles knows better than any of us just how much he had to deal with the last year or two when in came to 'Me' minded guys. If this kid is ready to add his skills to a team, then I'd give him a good, hard look. We know that the BIG is a talented, and in many cases, deep conference. We'll need plenty of talent to get back to competing again.

If you look at what Miles has done in the past, that should give you a fair idea of what he wants to do and how his teams will play. Like most good coaches, he's tweaked his systems to who he has playing. That notion was applauded when we were discussing the football team and Coach Riley, but for some reason, I see guys on the page thinking we need to always play a certain style. If you look at Mile's teams in the past, they tended to perform a great deal based on what they had on their roster. Some years he averaged quite a bit more than other years. Some years they did a little run and gun, others they were a bit more patient. When you have plenty of scorers you don't mind getting in those track meets, but if you lack that, you better make every possession count. That's basketball.

If you consider Miles first season, I thought he got about all he could out of the kids. Offense wasn't their forte, so they leaned harder on Doc Sadler's defensive core. When it came to recruiting in talent, he knew we had a serious void and getting Petteway and Pitch in the mix was a real plus. Your thinking that those guys weren't necessary and we should have simply focused on getting high schoolers isn't wrong, but Miles was facing a BIG schedule. He understood that many fans were lamenting bringing in 'another mid major guy', knowing the major complaint with the last one was he didn't change his recruiting formula in order to get the talent he needed to compete and tried to simply use mid major type players against power 5 talent. Miles took the opportunity for an immediate upgrade in physical talent. Was it the right call? Well, this season it didn't appear to be, but last season certainly had us believing it was. I thought Miles actually did a good job in figuring out how to get the most out of Pett and Pitch...last year. This year, I thought he failed completely in creating an offense that used the talents of his entire team, and I believe he see's the mistake he created by trying to accommodate individuals over team.

Since you played some ball in college, then I'll assume you had seasons that were far from identical. I played too, and we had seasons that were heavy with wing and post scoring, followed by a season that was heavy with scoring from the point, then another that was totally dominated by the wings. Had we not had a coach who recognized the personnel differences, and had the vision to try and adjust the offense slightly, I doubt we would have won 79 games in 3 seasons. In my mind, I saw Miles struggle to find the right mix because of two issues. First was he just didn't have any shooters. It sounds simple, but truthfully, if you don't have someone who can consistently hit from the perimeter, defenses can sag and help all day to slow down guys driving or trying to work inside. Second, I think he had some major personality conflicts on the team. One would think that should be something a coach can overcome, but having been in a situation where most of the team hated the best player, it puts a coach between a rock and a hard place. Unless you have enough talent to offset completely disrupting the team dynamic and benching the star, you have to try to play peacemaker all the time. And I don't mean to suggest that everyone hated Pette, but I do think there were numerous guys who thought he was more problem than he was worth.

As for his substitutions and getting playing time to some of the guys like Fuller, I think that was a byproduct of some of those feelings against the star player. There was a clique that wanted to do their thing and didn't seem to embrace the idea of expanding the roles of some players. You could see in the body language when some substitutions came in that it wasn't a popular move in the minds of some of the players. The comment about Moses is spot on, but he was hampered with some injuries if I remember correctly, and he also had the problem of being a strict, on the box type player. That's exactly where Pette wants to go, and when we talk about spacing, it's nearly impossible to get it when guys are all but driving right into their own players.

I'm actually excited to see some of what we can accomplish with a group with a slightly more 'team mentality'. I don't have any problem bringing in someone who can add to the depth as long as they have the right attitude and skillset to contribute. The kid from Brown sounds like a bit of a beefy inside player who doesn't demand a great deal of touches, which is perfect. The Louisville kid is a bit of a question mark, but Miles knows better than any of us just how much he had to deal with the last year or two when in came to 'Me' minded guys. If this kid is ready to add his skills to a team, then I'd give him a good, hard look. We know that the BIG is a talented, and in many cases, deep conference. We'll need plenty of talent to get back to competing again.

tons of good points here and i agree with all of it. BOLDED is probably the most troubling theme that, for me, summarizes the entire season. Tim miles was in the middle of this situation you described, and I think he handled it poorly. Its one thing to give TP a green light, and another to allow him to throw one handed passes 4 rows up in the stands, or cuss and yell at teammates for making mistakes far less egregious then what he did - to push opposing players, and refs, to get Ts from the sidelines, to slap the goal or pout around when your teammates "let you down". Thats what has me worried about miles. He clearly showed he can win when everything falls into place, and he can lose when it doesn't. But his apparent lack of control in determining what kind of team NU will be (last years Tourney T, or this years free-fall disaster) has me thinking this may not be the guy. For him to not foster a team first mentality is always a losing proposition and speaks to my original post....whats his belief system...what's his foundation? if he thinks he can just get some super sweet ballers to come to NU cause we have ipads in the shower, give them as big of a green light as it takes, and hope for the best and the team be damned, then it will be a roller coaster ride, just like the last 2 years have been.

I have no love for Calipari at UK, but what he does with players infinitely more talented then anyone Miles could dream of, year in, year out....getting 1 and done ego maniacs to play as a team.....its truly impressive.

he's going to have to work hard to earn the trust of his players. I know i wouldn't want to play for a coach who lets the team bully do whatever he wants. you said yourself many of the players felt like TP wasn't worth the trouble, and i know exactly how that feels from my playing days. you can't play basketball like that.

like you said, perhaps he's learned some lessons and we'll see a new face for NU bball. I am also excited about seeing what they can accomplish with a team-first mentality. hopefully thats what we'll get this year.

Last edited:
I have mentioned this before and I still believe it holds true. At all Coach Miles previous stops, he built the program around solid team play. One could argue it is easier at the lower level to get buy in from all your players. As Lars stated, he made a decision to bring in a few transfers to try and upgrade talent and physicality to compete in the B1G. 2013-14 saw this work, as everyone was healthy and opponents struggled to adjust to what was working with the penetration game. 2014-15 was a different story with injuries in the middle and when those players came back, their immobility hampered the entire offense. All kinds of 'little things" led to losing which highlighted deficiencies that were evident the year before, but winning cures all. This same style of play was evident against Ohio St in the conference tourney and Baylor in the dance. In Webster's first year, he was anointed the starter and struggled mightily. This probably had an effect on how much the staff played T Smith early on.

I agree wholeheartedly that Coach Miles should have handled things differently this year. We learned early on this season how fragile the ego/confidence of the team was. He may have thought things would work themselves out as the season progressed and let some behaviors go. This led to some other unhappy players and it snow balled. Add in what Petteway was dealing with his mom, and it made the situation even more unstable. I don't doubt that there were some discussions amongst the staff on how to handle things and we the fans don't know what was done behind the scenes.

As to the road ahead, I think the staff is back to building a program again. You may ask, "why bring in a guy with only a year left?" With open scholarships, we don't have a whole lot to lose. If we get a big guy, it will be a stopgap while young players develop. These players can also add better competition for practice. I believe the staff will be very careful about players transferring in that have 2-3 years left. Look hard at why they were unhappy where they were and ensure the same problem won't plague them at NU.

It may pain some to know the staff has hit the reset button, but sometimes, that is necessary to get where you are going. The staff has been in place long enough to have built relationships with high schoolers and hopefully that will show in the next recruiting class. We will know a lot about the direction the program is going by watching the rotation early next season. Do they play the freshmen? Are the minutes more balanced? Who does Coach hire to fill the other assistant spot?

He will have no choice but to play the freshmen. We don't have enough quality scholarship players without them.

tons of good points here and i agree with all of it. BOLDED is probably the most troubling theme that, for me, summarizes the entire season. Tim miles was in the middle of this situation you described, and I think he handled it poorly. Its one thing to give TP a green light, and another to allow him to throw one handed passes 4 rows up in the stands, or cuss and yell at teammates for making mistakes far less egregious then what he did - to push opposing players, and refs, to get Ts from the sidelines, to slap the goal or pout around when your teammates "let you down". Thats what has me worried about miles. He clearly showed he can win when everything falls into place, and he can lose when it doesn't. But his apparent lack of control in determining what kind of team NU will be (last years Tourney T, or this years free-fall disaster) has me thinking this may not be the guy. For him to not foster a team first mentality is always a losing proposition and speaks to my original post....whats his belief system...what's his foundation? if he thinks he can just get some super sweet ballers to come to NU cause we have ipads in the shower, give them as big of a green light as it takes, and hope for the best and the team be damned, then it will be a roller coaster ride, just like the last 2 years have been.

I have no love for Calipari at UK, but what he does with players infinitely more talented then anyone Miles could dream of, year in, year out....getting 1 and done ego maniacs to play as a team.....its truly impressive.

he's going to have to work hard to earn the trust of his players. I know i wouldn't want to play for a coach who lets the team bully do whatever he wants. you said yourself many of the players felt like TP wasn't worth the trouble, and i know exactly how that feels from my playing days. you can't play basketball like that.

like you said, perhaps he's learned some lessons and we'll see a new face for NU bball. I am also excited about seeing what they can accomplish with a team-first mentality. hopefully thats what we'll get this year.

The problem with your notion that there has to be a 'lack of control' for things to struggle on the court just isn't correct. That T some of you think was a huge issue during the tourney last year was nothing more than frustration, and a ref calling it in that situation is still thought of by most who watch a great deal of college ball, as one of the bigger jokes in recent tourney memory. I hate to have to say it out loud, but we didn't have a team capable of a 'team first mentality'. We didn't have enough players on the bench, or enough leadership on the court, to have type of mentality. Shields is the closest thing to a player who could be a leader, but he wouldn't cross Pette, no matter how bad things were getting on the court. It's a really great philosophy to say we should have done something, but a coach can't bench the top player who does have some of the team behind him if he doesn't have any kind of leadership behind that player. We may have had that, but unfortunately that guy transferred out before the season.

And Calipari doesn't have one or two egomaniacs on a team, he has 10. 10 egomaniacs means you have the luxury of benching any of them anytime you like and there are 3 guys more than happy to fill those minutes with little or no drop off. It's a great thought that he's working magic, but the truth is, his job in some ways if far easier because of that depth of egomaniacs.

I'd suggest you might want to sit back and watch how his team reacts to him next year. If you think Miles was a ball to be around last year, you'd be mistaken. No one wants to coach or play in a dysfunctional situation. Miles didn't spend the season cowering, or apologizing, he spent it trying to make lemonade out of lemons...but he failed. They might be a little miffed at him regarding playing time, but they aren't going to be questioning his leadership. When you are in a situation like last season, you get to see who the problem people were, and you understand what a coach has to deal with. You'd be surprised how well those players likely understood what was going on, and more than likely are as eager to turn the page and get back to work as soon as possible.

Miles will see what he has to work with and will tailor a system they can work in.

Wow! This fan base turns so quickly. We don't get to the tournament last year without Petteway and Pitchford. And the bitterness toward Miles is a 180° from last year.

The problem with your notion that there has to be a 'lack of control' for things to struggle on the court just isn't correct. That T some of you think was a huge issue during the tourney last year was nothing more than frustration, and a ref calling it in that situation is still thought of by most who watch a great deal of college ball, as one of the bigger jokes in recent tourney memory. I hate to have to say it out loud, but we didn't have a team capable of a 'team first mentality'. We didn't have enough players on the bench, or enough leadership on the court, to have type of mentality. Shields is the closest thing to a player who could be a leader, but he wouldn't cross Pette, no matter how bad things were getting on the court. It's a really great philosophy to say we should have done something, but a coach can't bench the top player who does have some of the team behind him if he doesn't have any kind of leadership behind that player. We may have had that, but unfortunately that guy transferred out before the season.

And Calipari doesn't have one or two egomaniacs on a team, he has 10. 10 egomaniacs means you have the luxury of benching any of them anytime you like and there are 3 guys more than happy to fill those minutes with little or no drop off. It's a great thought that he's working magic, but the truth is, his job in some ways if far easier because of that depth of egomaniacs.

I'd suggest you might want to sit back and watch how his team reacts to him next year. If you think Miles was a ball to be around last year, you'd be mistaken. No one wants to coach or play in a dysfunctional situation. Miles didn't spend the season cowering, or apologizing, he spent it trying to make lemonade out of lemons...but he failed. They might be a little miffed at him regarding playing time, but they aren't going to be questioning his leadership. When you are in a situation like last season, you get to see who the problem people were, and you understand what a coach has to deal with. You'd be surprised how well those players likely understood what was going on, and more than likely are as eager to turn the page and get back to work as soon as possible.

Miles will see what he has to work with and will tailor a system they can work in.

just for the record, i wasn't referring to the T that miles got in the tourney. i was talking about a T that pette earned while sitting on the bench yelling at the ref. i agree with you and everyone else who saw it, that T miles got in the tourney was not his fault.

and you make good points. there is nothing to dispel....because i agree with you. we didn't have enough players on the bench. we didn't have enough leadership on the court. we didn't have enough of many of the things that traditionally make up a well built team. It doesn't do any good to be all doom and gloom but it also seems silly to wonder where all those things are supposed to come from. do the players get together and just decide they are going to do all the things necessary to create a cohesive and well built team? probably not. guys are gonna do what they want to do. but whatever....it was what it was.

i really hope you are right with this BOLDED. you must have played on a team full of selfless and very understanding guys. :) I could just as easily say you'd be surprised at what guys say about the coach when he's not around....when one clique is hanging out in their door room venting about how miserable it is to play for a coach who won't dare bench a guy for cussing at teamates or any number of other ridiculous things pette did during the season. From listening to your posts, I don't think you'd be suprised because you've obviously been there done that like i have. You could say that perhaps the players understood what the coach was up against. maybe. and maybe some of those same guys are now wondering if the same thing will happen again this year with whatever JUCO ringers Miles brings in for his instant fix. For the record, I'm not against bringing in guys like that. If Miles can get good players to come here and put in work, then I'm ALL FOR THAT. I am against bringing guys in who will go unchecked by the head coach. thats all i'm saying.....but we've beat that horse to death.

you make a good point about UK. obviously calipari has an embarrassment of riches. but lets not pretend that he was having to bench guys to get their attention. UK Healthcare is one of my biggest clients and I watched UK play probably 16 times this year. I saw guys who cheered each other on, and who seemed genuinely eager to make players around them better. if there were power struggles and messages being sent with the strings getting pulled on PT, then you'd have seen it in the body language of the players. I saw worse body language in one half of an NU game then i saw out of UK all year. and whats even more impressive to me about UK is the 2nd five who don't start would beat the majority of DIV1 teams out there. That says to me that he is doing something pretty amazing to keep those guys there, keep them happy, and keep them productive. It would be one thing if he had 5 superstars, and the rest were scrubs. but he had 10 this year. Keeping everyone fat and happy didn't just happen on its own. (of course, its entirely possible that boosters were paying all those guys to stay and play happy...i mean this is UK we're talking about :Biggrin: ) but whatever....i'm not trying to argue with you. its not really an important point in our overall NU discussion.

i admire your optimism and i'm hopeful that miles can turn it around to. I just feel like more damage was done last year then many are willing to admit...but at this point, wallowing in it is pointless. whats done is done. Miles optimism and energy will likely serve him well as i would imagine he will be good at getting guys excited again. he seems to be that kind of guy. and no doubt, i'm sure the remaining guys will be excited to get back to work without so many clouds overhead.

Wow! This fan base turns so quickly. We don't get to the tournament last year without Petteway and Pitchford. And the bitterness toward Miles is a 180° from last year.

wowzers indeed. we had a thread going last week in which everyone on the board decided we were going to boycott the team next year. your post would have looked sweet in that thread.

i really hope you are right with this BOLDED. you must have played on a team full of selfless and very understanding guys. :) I could just as easily say you'd be surprised at what guys say about the coach when he's not around....when one clique is hanging out in their door room venting about how miserable it is to play for a coach who won't dare bench a guy for cussing at teamates or any number of other ridiculous things pette did during the season. From listening to your posts, I don't think you'd be suprised because you've obviously been there done that like i have. You could say that perhaps the players understood what the coach was up against. maybe. and maybe some of those same guys are now wondering if the same thing will happen again this year with whatever JUCO ringers Miles brings in for his instant fix. For the record, I'm not against bringing in guys like that. If Miles can get good players to come here and put in work, then I'm ALL FOR THAT. I am against bringing guys in who will go unchecked by the head coach. thats all i'm saying.....but we've beat that horse to death.

Oh we bitched up a storm at our dorms or apartments about some of the playing time guys got who we didn't think deserved it. We had a Sr wing, who eventually made all conference, that started the season playing behind this SO. Drove me nuts! That damn soph never checked out and his guy was going to be sneaking in and getting at least a couple of tip ins a game, which as an inside player just made me crazy. The point being, we have to sometimes understand, it's not just about me or the team I'm on. That coach was getting that soph on the court because he saw him as the future...which ended up being true when he was an All American as a senior. His decision was based on the health of the program, not the single season.

So when I see Miles making some really weird decisions, I consider he might be thinking of factors beyond just this game, or this season. I've wondered if he doesn't see the window of opportunity as being very small. We aren't in a conference that has a tender side, it's a steam roller. We have to get competitive quickly, and I think that was the reason for him riding the transfers as hard as he did. The first year he's everyone's genius, the second he's the court jester. His goal, and I don't mean to be setting sights below what some may think we should, is hitting the middle of the BIG standings every year. That's a trip to the tourney, and anything can happen once you are there. That would be a great place to be, middle of the pack in a great conference. That opens the door for the occasional great season when we can battle for the top 3 spots, but we keep fan interest, keep recruit interest and keep the arena filled.

i admire your optimism and i'm hopeful that miles can turn it around to. I just feel like more damage was done last year then many are willing to admit...but at this point, wallowing in it is pointless. whats done is done. Miles optimism and energy will likely serve him well as i would imagine he will be good at getting guys excited again. he seems to be that kind of guy. and no doubt, i'm sure the remaining guys will be excited to get back to work without so many clouds overhead.

I just think everyone is going to be eager to put that crap behind them. There are some pretty interesting people coming in, White is supposed to be a pretty talented player, we had some bench guys who are likely anxious to show the world just how stupid Miles was last year (trust me, that's a real possibility) and a player like Shields might quietly be thrilled at the prospect of being the focal point of this year's team. He's got some talent, and I'd like to see how he can be in more of a leadership role. He seemed unwilling to step on toes last year, so it will be interesting to see if he steps up more this year.

wowzers indeed. we had a thread going last week in which everyone on the board decided we were going to boycott the team next year. your post would have looked sweet in that thread.

Glad I missed the boycott thread. As much as I couldn't stand either Cip or Moe as people or coaches, I'd still never boycott the program. There are always players I pull for and enjoy seeing grow as people.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back