• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another Garrett!

No, like the Ivan that we looked at across the Fulda Gap during the Cold War.

Edit: actually they were probably East Germans backed up by a lot of Russians (Soviets) so maybe my grandfather's name, Hans, would have been more appropriate along that purported point of entry for a conflict feared during that time.

Last edited:
No, like the Ivan that we looked at across the Fulda Gap during the Cold War.

Edit: actually they were probably East Germans backed up by a lot of Russians (Soviets) so maybe my grandfather's name, Hans, would have been more appropriate along that purported point of entry for a conflict feared during that time.
"Hans" was/is the shortened form of "Johannes" in much the same way that "Jon" is the shortened form of "Jonathan" in English. Incidentally, all are derivatives of the same Biblical name(s). Coincidentally, so is "Ivan" in the Slavic languages. Hans or Ivan would both be "John" or "Jon" in traditional English translation, which means that that for much of the Cold War we were worried about an army of Johns coming across the German border at the Fulda Gap. Now we're worried about a bunch of Juans coming across our southern border.

Moral of the story: Johns are scary.

"Hans" was/is the shortened form of "Johannes" in much the same way that "Jon" is the shortened form of "Jonathan" in English. Incidentally, all are derivatives of the same Biblical name(s). Coincidentally, so is "Ivan" in the Slavic languages. Hans or Ivan would both be "John" or "Jon" in traditional English translation, which means that that for much of the Cold War we were worried about an army of Johns coming across the German border at the Fulda Gap. Now we're worried about a bunch of Juans coming across our southern border.

Moral of the story: Johns are scary.
LOL I actually did know that Ivan was the Cyrillic spelling of John. Funny story about How and why I chose Ivan for my son's name. (Other than it being my fathers name.) My first name is Tom (whole other story as to why I changed it to Thom) In 1963 the year I was born Thomas was the most popular male name. So much so that my graduating class of ~35 people had three Tom's in the class. No matter where I went growing up and my early time in the Corps. Someone would yell "Hey Tom", Multiple people would turn around and say "what?" So when my wife became pregnant with my son. I decided I would name him after my dad which would do multiple things.
1. Make my dad happy.
2. Give him a unique but not weird name. Unique enough that he is usually going to be the only one and not so out there that he is likely to be made fun of.

Well best laid plans. When my son was about 6 he comes home yelling. I hate my name. Why? That is when the Power rangers movie came out. Who was the Villain in that movie? That's right Ivan Ooze.

Oh well I tried.

LOL I actually did know that Ivan was the Cyrillic spelling of John. Funny story about How and why I chose Ivan for my son's name. (Other than it being my fathers name.) My first name is Tom (whole other story as to why I changed it to Thom) In 1963 the year I was born Thomas was the most popular male name. So much so that my graduating class of ~35 people had three Tom's in the class. No matter where I went growing up and my early time in the Corps. Someone would yell "Hey Tom", Multiple people would turn around and say "what?" So when my wife became pregnant with my son. I decided I would name him after my dad which would do multiple things.
1. Make my dad happy.
2. Give him a unique but not weird name. Unique enough that he is usually going to be the only one and not so out there that he is likely to be made fun of.

Well best laid plans. When my son was about 6 he comes home yelling. I hate my name. Why? That is when the Power rangers movie came out. Who was the Villain in that movie? That's right Ivan Ooze.

Oh well I tried.

I'll take Ivan every day of the week over Johnny Cash's 'a boy named Sue!'

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back