• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another Garrett!

Let me add one more tidbit. The Germans from Russia are my ancestry on both my mother's and father's side. My maternal grandparents both immigrated from Russia in the early 1900s, and my mother, under Russian law, was considered a Russian citizen, even though she never was close to stepping foot in Russia, since she was a first generation offspring of immigrants from Russia.
There is a Germans from Russia museum in Lincoln. It's near downtown I believe.

To sort of get back on topic, at least Garrett's first name isn't Ivan!!

There is a Germans from Russia museum in Lincoln. It's near downtown I believe.

Yes, intend to visit both this site & Sutton, Nebraska on my next trip back to Nebraska & South Dakota to do some genealogy research.

Laughed when I saw this because of his last name. Both sets of my grandparents and thus my mom and dad were from Sutton. Spent a lot of summers there back in the 70s. Was funny because everyone in the area has the last name of Ochsner, Griess, or Nuss. Seriously.

Ha I know a Griess from Sutton and he also said the entire town has 3 last names

Some of the other small towns in the area used to kind of make fun about it as in the Sutton people were a bit inbred.

Ha, ha — not just a Southern thing!

Sometimes the family tree becomes a wreath! One set of my grandparents (with the German from Russia connections) were cousins. ;) My wife’s family has several iterations in 8 or 9 generations of her Tennessee family.

Yes, large numbers of Germans immigrated from the German states to the lower Volga & Black Sea area (Ukraine & Crimea) beginning in the 1700s at the behest of Czarina Catherine the Great resulting in autonomous colonies with freedoms of religion, exercise native languages, land and no compulsory service in the Russian armies. By the 1870s, the Czar changed the rules and a mass exodus to America began.

Sutton, Nebraska was a gathering point for many thousands who then fanned out across the plains. A North Dakota historian once claimed that more than half the states population came from this immigration source.

There are some great books out there on this. They were lucky to get the hell out of there because they were eventually persecuted, especially under Stalin.

I also am descendents of Volga Germans...along with regular Germans, Swedes, Spaniards, and Brits. But researching the Volga Germans has been my favorite so far as there is so much written about them. Plus, Runzas are awesome!

There are some great books out there on this. They were lucky to get the hell out of there because they were eventually persecuted, especially under Stalin.

I also am descendents of Volga Germans...along with regular Germans, Swedes, Spaniards, and Brits. But researching the Volga Germans has been my favorite so far as there is so much written about them. Plus, Runzas are awesome!

Homemade runzas are awesome. Runza runzas? Not so much.

When I try to explain to my students, both in America and when I was overseas, the allure of what it meant to be "American," I'd refer to the Germans from Russia. Their exodus from Russia was on a massive scale, and it wasn't just the Volga German-Russians as there were also Black Sea German-Russians who mostly settled farther south, and also a large contingent of German-Russians who emigrated from what is now Poland but was then under Russian control. My father has one branch of the family from Volga German-Russians and one branch from German-Russians in what is now Poland.

They lived in Russia for nearly two centuries without changing their language (when they went back to Germany, the local German dialects had evolved so much that they could barely understand each other), their religion (Protestant), or their culture for the most part. When the Czar all but chased them out, he was forcing them to be baptized into the Russian Orthodox Church, speak and learn Russian in school, and serve in the Russian Army. They fled that to settle all across the Great Plains in the U.S. and Canada, and within one generation they had started speaking English, had branched out into various sects of Protestantism, were serving in the U.S. Army, and were intermarrying with their American neighbors of all ethnicities. I can't think of another example quite like it in all of human history that wasn't forced at gun or spear or sword point.

When a culture feels threatened, they dig in and stop changing; when they feel at peace and secure, they adapt to whatever is happening around them. Twenty-five years on the Great Plains to a complete makeover of people who had refused to evolve for nearly 200 years in Russia.

P.S.--Different regions of Russia represented different eras of migration from Germany. The Volga Germans were probably the earliest migration, and they were brought in by Peter the Great shortly after conquering that territory in the hopes that they'd speed up the agricultural production and technology of the locals before eventually blending into the community. Likewise, Catherine the Great did the same with the Black Sea region of Russia (what is now Ukraine) about 70 years later. The Germans under Russian rule along the Baltic Sea (what is now Poland and the Baltic States) were the descendants of earlier German merchants from the Hanseatic League who had spread out all over the Baltic to trade in the Middle Ages and Renaissance periods.

Last edited:

When I try to explain to my students, both in America and when I was overseas, the allure of what it meant to be "American," I'd refer to the Germans from Russia. Their exodus from Russia was on a massive scale, and it wasn't just the Volga German-Russians as there were also Black Sea German-Russians who mostly settled farther south, and also a large contingent of German-Russians who emigrated from what is now Poland but was then under Russian control. My father has one branch of the family from Volga German-Russians and one branch from German-Russians in what is now Poland.

They lived in Russia for nearly two centuries without changing their language (when they went back to Germany, the local German dialects had evolved so much that they could barely understand each other), their religion (Protestant), or their culture for the most part. When the Czar all but chased them out, he was forcing them to be baptized into the Russian Orthodox Church, speak and learn Russian in school, and serve in the Russian Army. They fled that to settle all across the Great Plains in the U.S. and Canada, and within one generation they had started speaking English, had branched out into various sects of Protestantism, were serving in the U.S. Army, and were intermarrying with their American neighbors of all ethnicities. I can't think of another example quite like it in all of human history that wasn't forced at gun or spear or sword point.

When a culture feels threatened, they dig in and stop changing; when they feel at peace and secure, they adapt to whatever is happening around them. Twenty-five years on the Great Plains to a complete makeover of people who had refused to evolve for nearly 200 years in Russia.

P.S.--Different regions of Russia represented different eras of migration from Germany. The Volga Germans were probably the earliest migration, and they were brought in by Peter the Great shortly after conquering that territory in the hopes that they'd speed up the agricultural production and technology of the locals before eventually blending into the community. Likewise, Catherine the Great did the same with the Black Sea region of Russia (what is now Ukraine) about 70 years later. The Germans under Russian rule along the Baltic Sea (what is now Poland and the Baltic States) were the descendants of earlier German merchants from the Hanseatic League who had spread out all over the Baltic to trade in the Middle Ages and Renaissance periods.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back